Planters for non tradtional crops - The Combine Forum

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Planters for non tradtional crops

Have talked about seeding chickpeas with a planter in the past. I know of one guy trying it, but don't know how it worked. Chickpea seed is usually not uniform in size, anywhere from 7-10mm in size. Would a planter work for this?

One goal would be to decrease seeding rate. Another would be to increase yield.

With a good job of seed singluation could one expect better yields ? Everything I read about beans and corn would lead me to believe this about those crops.

I know nothing about planters and there aren't any to speak of anywhere near here.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
I think weed control would kill the idea unless you could keep it under 12".

I'd love to try but I got too many weeds

God Bless America
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

I think up to 15" we might be ok with the weeds.

So do guys use planters in beans because they have them and maybe don't own an air drill? Or is there some serious advantages? I would think upkeep is big and they seem more complicated than an air drill.

I guess I'm asking about other crops also.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Guessing Garbanzo beans are another name for chickpeas? My JD planter book does list them under the large edible bean cell and flat disks, seeds/lb. 750 - 900, (or seeds/kg. 1650 - 1980, for those of you using metric.) The manual is for MaxEmerge XP and pro, even though my planter has ME2 units (seems someone must have lost original books...) But I believe all the meters would use the same plates.
Part #'s are H136092 for the large cell and A52878 for large flat disk according to book, might give you some starting point in searches or comparisons for other planter makes.

Never tried it ourselves as chickpeas aren't grown around here, but plenty of soybeans put in with planters. Everyone here has a planter for corn, drills are more of the off items for soybeans and other stuff, not as common. They usually give very good spacing and population control, weed control in wider rows might be more of an issue but not everyone wants to have a drill for the beans when a planter works just fine.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
I think up to 15" we might be ok with the weeds.

So do guys use planters in beans because they have them and maybe don't own an air drill? Or is there some serious advantages? I would think upkeep is big and they seem more complicated than an air drill.

I guess I'm asking about other crops also.
We use a planter in soybeans because a planter has better spacing and better depth control in general compared to an air drill. We cut our rate by 40,000 soybeans and achieve better yields and stand than our air drill. But that is comparing it to a Concord, I'm sure a paralink doesn't a good job seeding soybeans. We seed 30" row crop sunflowers so we just purchased our next one with interplants for doing soybeans on 15" as well instead of upgrading our air drill to be better at seeding soybeans.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Dad told me that south country in Moose Jaw was bringing in a planter this year. They were going to supply the planter, a tractor and an operator??? Apparently he got that from Gary Bich in sales.... no idea if it's plate style or vacuum or any fertilizer capacity.....

We planted our corn with an old Jd 7200 8 row planter that our seed salesman lends out if you buy seed from him, he's north of Moose Jaw about 15 min....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
You could size your seed and seed 7mm this would make the planter work more consistent. Australia seed chickpeas on real wide spacings there is pictures on here somewhere. I like the planter idea but not many of them used in 15 inch spacing.
bjtjjl likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
You could size your seed and seed 7mm this would make the planter work more consistent. Australia seed chickpeas on real wide spacings there is pictures on here somewhere. I like the planter idea but not many of them used in 15 inch spacing.

The one benefit of wide row spacing should be getting better coverage when spraying fungicide and canopy would take a long time to fill in, which should produce less diesease.

Brent.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroncrest View Post
Dad told me that south country in Moose Jaw was bringing in a planter this year. They were going to supply the planter, a tractor and an operator??? Apparently he got that from Gary Bich in sales.... no idea if it's plate style or vacuum or any fertilizer capacity.....

We planted our corn with an old Jd 7200 8 row planter that our seed salesman lends out if you buy seed from him, he's north of Moose Jaw about 15 min....
I will talk to the SCE guys. Thanks.

Your seed guy, I'm assuming is the guy that tried the chickpeas with a planter. They had that monosoon planter with a Morris aircart behind it a few years back.

Brent.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
I will talk to the SCE guys. Thanks.

Your seed guy, I'm assuming is the guy that tried the chickpeas with a planter. They had that monosoon planter with a Morris aircart behind it a few years back.
Could be, not sure on that one. He's a pioneer rep, Rob Garland. His old beast is 30" centres only

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page