6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Canola seeding speed shank vs disk

Image credit Canola Digest.

Disk guys be like say whaaaaa??...

Think I need about 800HP out of that C18 to go 7mph and cover 64 acres an hour with the BG paralink. Just sayin.

BrianTee and chance2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
I'm not really sure what this proves? That chart doesn't even say what the emergence was in the first place, so a 40% reduction on a 50% emergence rate is much different than a 50% reduction on 85%. Those all done in the same field? What soil type?

I've used a paralink, Flexi-coil 5000, BG5710, BG 8800 and most recently a CNH disc drill. In my clay-loam soils the only one that I would trust over 5mph is the disc drill and it does a better job at every speed including the slow ones. It pulls easier and floats better in muddy conditions. It just requires more maintenance.

BrianTee, chance2 and hillcrest like this.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:22 PM
DDF

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
If time allows, we definitely try to slow down to 4mph when seeding canola with BG 5710 with gates harrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I've used a paralink, Flexi-coil 5000, BG5710, BG 8800 and most recently a CNH disc drill. In my clay-loam soils the only one that I would trust over 5mph is the disc drill and it does a better job at every speed including the slow ones. It pulls easier and floats better in muddy conditions. It just requires more maintenance.
Not trying to de-rail things here…I'm just very curious about your experiences and thoughts of paralink vs. 5710. And was the 5710 a series II?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDF View Post
If time allows, we definitely try to slow down to 4mph when seeding canola with BG 5710 with gates harrows.

Not trying to de-rail things here…I'm just very curious about your experiences and thoughts of paralink vs. 5710. And was the 5710 a series II?
We run one of each. If it's on the dryer side the 5710 does an excellent job but it's hard to get a consustant depth on shallow seeded crops with changing terrain. When it's wet it packs far too hard.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Where are the twins?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
The twins are speeding at 4.5 mph ,maybe 12 inch can do 4.8 mph.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
I would bet dollars to donuts that none of the seeds that didn't emerge behind that disc drill failed to emerge because they were planted too deep.

Old Fashioned Stubbornness is the biggest enemy of a modern disc drill.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I'm not really sure what this proves? That chart doesn't even say what the emergence was in the first place, so a 40% reduction on a 50% emergence rate is much different than a 50% reduction on 85%. Those all done in the same field? What soil type?

I said the disk guys be a whaaaaaa..... The way I understand it the farmer's made a 4 mph pass and this was their control pass, then speeds above that were a % less than the control. So same farm same dirt just speed is the variable.

Disk drill's here are the white unicorn. A thing of fable really as it would be nice to have something to compare to locally.

So the data show's the disk is just as guilty as the other's in speed hurting emergence. What it also show's as to emergence with the disk is if your going to go 6.5 mph might as well go 8.5 mph!

It also shows if you have the Morris atom jet don't go 6.5 mph!!!

Every season I always do a high speed pass with the BG at 7-8 mph when I can travel with the stubble as it helps control the stepping and you can never pick it out all year long so it's left me with the question that we're traveling slower that we have to be.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
We run one of each. If it's on the dryer side the 5710 does an excellent job but it's hard to get a consustant depth on shallow seeded crops with changing terrain. When it's wet it packs far too hard.
Exactly our experience as well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
I said the disk guys be a whaaaaaa..... The way I understand it the farmer's made a 4 mph pass and this was their control pass, then speeds above that were a % less than the control. So same farm same dirt just speed is the variable.

Disk drill's here are the white unicorn. A thing of fable really as it would be nice to have something to compare to locally.

So the data show's the disk is just as guilty as the other's in speed hurting emergence. What it also show's as to emergence with the disk is if your going to go 6.5 mph might as well go 8.5 mph!

It also shows if you have the Morris atom jet don't go 6.5 mph!!!

Every season I always do a high speed pass with the BG at 7-8 mph when I can travel with the stubble as it helps control the stepping and you can never pick it out all year long so it's left me with the question that we're traveling slower that we have to be.
Trust me I'm not gonna get worked up over some chart in the canola digest...

Since there is only one disc drill in this trial it hardly can be used as a reason not to consider one. The JD does move more soil I would think as it has an actual boot, I also wonder if they had enough down-pressure for those speeds? Too many unknowns to draw any conclusion IMO. I have done speed trials too and not noticed any difference in plant stand with my disc drill, right up to 7mph and it doesn't matter if it's with the rows or worked soil or whatever.

DDF I really liked my 5710's and they did a great job except I was always fiddling with the depth through low spots. Seemed to have to re-seed runways or at least re-cultivate them with the drill because the shanks would not follow extreme contours. A para-link will make seeding a dream because once set you just drive and the depth is looked after. I had a couple of precision hoe 800 drills and they were 1:1 ratio with the opener/packer wheel. That drill followed the contours much better yet than the para-link but Bourgault has since copied that design with their XTC. If I was to run a hoe drill now it would be an XTC. I did not like the fact that the Bourgault drills were so heavy, especially with the MRB's up front. Once you run at 6mph or more with a disc drill it is really hard to consider slowing down to 5mph or less with a hoe drill again. I also feel the seed depth and placement is better with the disc drill because depth is set exactly at the point of seed drop, not at some point behind it.

Having said all this, I grew lots of great crops with hoe drills.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page