SeedMaster, who owns them ? Any good ? - The Combine Forum

79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
SeedMaster, who owns them ? Any good ?

Traveling to Swan Hill next week to look at some 80ft SeedMaster airseeders.
I guess they have been around a while in Canada and have been improving all the time, are there any operators on this forum with experienced with this gear ? Is there anyone in Oz with one ?
I think we will be doing something with our gear in the next year or two and we might as well look at everything.
Morris, Bougault, initially caught my eye, but now have thrown SeedMaster, Seedhawk and maybe Conservapac in the mix.
My basic criteria is towbetween tank (28t or 800 bushel), 70ft bar, section control, single shoot, no auger needed and good trash flow..
Your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
They seem to have been more popular here about a decade ago but Bourgalt has pretty much cornered the market in the independent shank seeder market around here now.

Doctor 650 likes this.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
There is a big following for borgault for sure. But you seem to see more and more hawks and masters in the Lloydmisnter ab/sk area. See a lot of x or y tool bars with a borgault tank.
Stick to 12" or wider with the twin knife
Doctor 650 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
We are going into season 5 with our 70' on 10" M-fold seedmaster tool bar. It has never let us down, few broken u bolts and a handful of shank cylinders and a couple packer bearings is all we have had to fix. Replaced the fert openers last year and seed openers for this year. Trash clearance is their biggest downfall but if you manage it correctly it isn't an issue. Always had excellent emergence no matter the conditions.

I know of a few frame issues with toolbars 80' and bigger though.

If we trade for next year I'll give them all a close look at again but I'm leaning towards the new conservapak.

I really wish someone would make a 7.5"/15" planter with a towable cart that could supply fert openers and/or the bulk seed tanks.....
Doctor 650 likes this.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Seedhawk was founded by Norbert and Patrick Beaujot sometime in the late '80s. They went along together for a few years preaching the gospel of parallel linkage - Pat was the marketer and Norb the engineer. Then something happened and they each went their separate ways - Pat retained Seedhawk and Norbert founded Seedmaster. Those of us who knew/know them thought they were 3/4 nuts to start an airseeder company in the first place and 110% whacko when they split into two independant companies. But it seems to have worked out well for both of them. Who knew.
Doctor 650 likes this.

R.J.(Bob) Evans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Our machine has around 60,000 acres on it already. It's has seeded in a lot of mud and been yanked out low spots with 3 track hoes hooked onto it at the same time. Haven't had any frames failures yet, except for when a return line wasn't hooked up properly and we tore a wing cylinder off. Every year we redo a handful of packer bearings usually on the end wings because they are in the mud. Also a couple shank cylinders. It's been a pretty tough and reliable machine. In our area there is just as many seedmaster toolbars as there are Bourgaults, maybe even a few more.
Doctor 650 likes this.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Here is BG and 1895 territory and I'm running a 09 SM, I have 33,000 acres on it and just finished replacing the first set of fertilizer knives. I installed a set of Dutch this time because I think the knife with less pitch will furrow out less.
I have replaced a few wing cylinder shafts because apparently my Challenger tractor does not like the pointed hydraulic couplers.
Never replaced a single opener cylinder or hydraulic hose yet.
Every year I try to tighten up the pivot points on the openers but never get anywhere with them.
Replaced 2 wheel bearings but this thing has alot of road miles.
Never had a packer bearing failure yet.
I have the old style tires and only eat up about 2 a year
I came from a concord 4812 and there is no comparison in maintenance, the seed master IMO is the most reliable drill out there that I can tell.

The only thing about a SM is there is lots of open space on the frame so it's hard to get primary hoses layed flat, I made manifolds out of exhaust pipe to keep things smooth and level.
Doctor 650 likes this.

God Bless America
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Ive had a Seedhawk for a lot of years and starting to get tired of the whole dual knife concept. You pretty much have to get 12" spacing for any kind of trash clearance, id much rather prefer 10" for cereals. It would also be nice to be able to change to different kinds of tips as well (i'm sure there are aftermarket options but their boots plug easier). I also have a growing concern as we continue to up our fertilizer rates. Wouldn't touch a Seedhawk tank with a 10ft pole, used one in 2005 and they seem to still have the same problems. Send out a new metering system and let the farmer test it for you. Having a Bourgualt tank behind my Hawk has made me appreciate the superior build of the BG. They sure are light and easy to pull tho, but every year I call the welder out to patch it back together.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
SeedMaster see above, no dealer network, I would be the first in the state.....

Seedhawk, section control not sorted and a lot of negative comments about the tank. Guys seem to be pretty happy with the bar, dealer network, but not experienced

Bougault, are very popular here, good size towbetween tanks, section control looks complicated, bar looks pretty good with flotation tyres on it, clean Tyne and press wheel lay out. Good dealer network

Morris, popular here, 4 neighbours have them, good size tow between tanks and get the wrap from owners, section control looks the simplest and is liked by the owners, bar and Tyne assembly looks the lightest, but has the easiest adjustment, simple and clean Tyne assembly like the Bougault. Good dealer network

Conservapcac, haven't heard a lot of good comments about the bar frame, although I've been told there is a new one out now, Tyne assembly is a little messy, trash flow I would image similar too the SeedMaster, Seedhawk. New 850 tank is only tow behind at the moment, good dealer network

Have I missed anything ?
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyheps View Post
We are going into season 5 with our 70' on 10" M-fold seedmaster tool bar. It has never let us down, few broken u bolts and a handful of shank cylinders and a couple packer bearings is all we have had to fix. Replaced the fert openers last year and seed openers for this year. Trash clearance is their biggest downfall but if you manage it correctly it isn't an issue. Always had excellent emergence no matter the conditions.

I know of a few frame issues with toolbars 80' and bigger though.

If we trade for next year I'll give them all a close look at again but I'm leaning towards the new conservapak.

I really wish someone would make a 7.5"/15" planter with a towable cart that could supply fert openers and/or the bulk seed tanks.....
I like the planter idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page