The Combine Forum banner

SeedMaster, who owns them ? Any good ?

46K views 89 replies 31 participants last post by  Doctor 650 
#1 ·
Traveling to Swan Hill next week to look at some 80ft SeedMaster airseeders.
I guess they have been around a while in Canada and have been improving all the time, are there any operators on this forum with experienced with this gear ? Is there anyone in Oz with one ?
I think we will be doing something with our gear in the next year or two and we might as well look at everything.
Morris, Bougault, initially caught my eye, but now have thrown SeedMaster, Seedhawk and maybe Conservapac in the mix.
My basic criteria is towbetween tank (28t or 800 bushel), 70ft bar, section control, single shoot, no auger needed and good trash flow..
Your thoughts please.

#4 ·
We are going into season 5 with our 70' on 10" M-fold seedmaster tool bar. It has never let us down, few broken u bolts and a handful of shank cylinders and a couple packer bearings is all we have had to fix. Replaced the fert openers last year and seed openers for this year. Trash clearance is their biggest downfall but if you manage it correctly it isn't an issue. Always had excellent emergence no matter the conditions.

I know of a few frame issues with toolbars 80' and bigger though.

If we trade for next year I'll give them all a close look at again but I'm leaning towards the new conservapak.

I really wish someone would make a 7.5"/15" planter with a towable cart that could supply fert openers and/or the bulk seed tanks.....

#5 ·
Seedhawk was founded by Norbert and Patrick Beaujot sometime in the late '80s. They went along together for a few years preaching the gospel of parallel linkage - Pat was the marketer and Norb the engineer. Then something happened and they each went their separate ways - Pat retained Seedhawk and Norbert founded Seedmaster. Those of us who knew/know them thought they were 3/4 nuts to start an airseeder company in the first place and 110% whacko when they split into two independant companies. But it seems to have worked out well for both of them. Who knew.

Reactions: Doctor 650
#6 ·
Our machine has around 60,000 acres on it already. It's has seeded in a lot of mud and been yanked out low spots with 3 track hoes hooked onto it at the same time. Haven't had any frames failures yet, except for when a return line wasn't hooked up properly and we tore a wing cylinder off. Every year we redo a handful of packer bearings usually on the end wings because they are in the mud. Also a couple shank cylinders. It's been a pretty tough and reliable machine. In our area there is just as many seedmaster toolbars as there are Bourgaults, maybe even a few more.

Reactions: Doctor 650
#7 ·
Here is BG and 1895 territory and I'm running a 09 SM, I have 33,000 acres on it and just finished replacing the first set of fertilizer knives. I installed a set of Dutch this time because I think the knife with less pitch will furrow out less.
I have replaced a few wing cylinder shafts because apparently my Challenger tractor does not like the pointed hydraulic couplers.
Never replaced a single opener cylinder or hydraulic hose yet.
Every year I try to tighten up the pivot points on the openers but never get anywhere with them.
Replaced 2 wheel bearings but this thing has alot of road miles.
Never had a packer bearing failure yet.
I have the old style tires and only eat up about 2 a year
I came from a concord 4812 and there is no comparison in maintenance, the seed master IMO is the most reliable drill out there that I can tell.

The only thing about a SM is there is lots of open space on the frame so it's hard to get primary hoses layed flat, I made manifolds out of exhaust pipe to keep things smooth and level.

#8 ·
Ive had a Seedhawk for a lot of years and starting to get tired of the whole dual knife concept. You pretty much have to get 12" spacing for any kind of trash clearance, id much rather prefer 10" for cereals. It would also be nice to be able to change to different kinds of tips as well (i'm sure there are aftermarket options but their boots plug easier). I also have a growing concern as we continue to up our fertilizer rates. Wouldn't touch a Seedhawk tank with a 10ft pole, used one in 2005 and they seem to still have the same problems. Send out a new metering system and let the farmer test it for you. Having a Bourgualt tank behind my Hawk has made me appreciate the superior build of the BG. They sure are light and easy to pull tho, but every year I call the welder out to patch it back together.

#9 ·
SeedMaster see above, no dealer network, I would be the first in the state.....

Seedhawk, section control not sorted and a lot of negative comments about the tank. Guys seem to be pretty happy with the bar, dealer network, but not experienced

Bougault, are very popular here, good size towbetween tanks, section control looks complicated, bar looks pretty good with flotation tyres on it, clean Tyne and press wheel lay out. Good dealer network

Morris, popular here, 4 neighbours have them, good size tow between tanks and get the wrap from owners, section control looks the simplest and is liked by the owners, bar and Tyne assembly looks the lightest, but has the easiest adjustment, simple and clean Tyne assembly like the Bougault. Good dealer network

Conservapcac, haven't heard a lot of good comments about the bar frame, although I've been told there is a new one out now, Tyne assembly is a little messy, trash flow I would image similar too the SeedMaster, Seedhawk. New 850 tank is only tow behind at the moment, good dealer network

Have I missed anything ?

#11 ·
Interested to know what you guys prefer about the conserva pak?(other than deere)In a country with not many dealerships I would lean towards Deere. Say what you will but the online parts and availability is second to none.

We just put our peterbilts through the shop. What a joke parts is. 10 days for each part to come. No online parts. If you call in to see if parts arrived yet the guy has to look in his scribbler to see when he ordered it. If you dont remember the guys name you spoke to then he has to call all around the desk asking who remembers ordering your parts. Fail Cervus Regina.

If I was getting a new truck I would be shopping based on the parts.

#12 ·
If you believe the hype, the Tyne is the heart of the SeedMaster brand, yet people talk about lack of trash flow, are the new ones better with the stainless deflector on the main shank, is the Morris C2 and Bougault that much better for trash clearance than the SeedMaster, Seedhawk and Conservapac tynes...?

#13 ·
The bad rap that SM gets from trash flow is because little fluff balls biuld up in between the fertilizer and seed knife, they slide off to the side and prop themselves on top of the stubble. So in turn the field finish can look pretty poor but when it comes to trash flow it's really good, I have seeded through pea and bean stubble and done a very good clean job where other seeders become dump rakes. The only crop I plug in is corn but I don't chop my stalks very good so that's to be expected. Now any corn over 110-120 bu I run over it with my turbo till and life is good.
I have 12" spacing and the old school folding like a "box" and when I was recently looking at an "M" fold I'm not sure the frame depth is the same.
I have the stainless deflectors and I think they help but they aren't perfect either and changes may have been made since. I am really hoping with the opener pitch of my new Dutch openers will have less lift and do a little better job.
I also wouldn't say the Tyne is the heart of the SM, it also has a really solid bar that is still light and simple. It has super low maintenance all around even very few grease zerks. Lately they have put alot of attention to thier carts and while I haven't got to use one of them (I have an Ezee-On cart, Versatile now) I think they did a good job of keeping the complexity out of all of the new features like section control.

#15 · (Edited)
On a side note , anyone in AUS using a air cart that is 30000 litres or more ? Love to hear how it is going and how much power you think it uses and loading time , See simplicity has gone over the 20000L now, also see the seedhawk bin has individual load cells so I am guessing it can calibrate it's self ? Much like most spreaders which would be really good

#16 ·
on our heavy deep black soils id hate to think how much power is required just to pull them when full . . .

personally, id rather smaller bins & look at improving efficiencies of filling them, instead of pulling a B Double of seed & fert behind me. Machinery - especially ****ing headers & cotton pickers, is already getting too heavy in my opinion

#21 ·
I've have a Seedhawk, and of course it's the best drill out there. LOL
What everyone has is the best!! Have a Bourgault tank behind and personally wouldn't want anything else. Have had no issues with any hydraulic cylinders yet, just replacing the seed boots for first time, drill is a 2010. Had the twin wing, have gone with the Dutch paired row, and single side band for canola.
Trash clearance is very good because the shanks are behind each other, not one off to the side.
Have had to weld a couple spots, but that can happen to any drill.
All and all been very happy with the Hawk.

#22 ·
We have a 2010 70ft Seedmaster 12 inch spacing with a Bourgault 6550 tank. 4th year with it and we are pretty happy with that combo. Both the tool and tank are very simple to run and work on. Changed the fert knives this year and will be doing the seed boot next year. We've had pretty heavy stubble last few years. Most times we seed just in between the rows with no trouble but the odd time we went on angle with the odd little pile. In our area Bourgault is pretty dominant with Seedmaster being in second. There is the odd Seedhawk,Morris C1/C2, Conservapak and Versatile. To be honest with you wouldn't know the difference from the Bourgault to the Versatile! Only thing ill knock on our Bourgault tank is that it eats up the lentils pretty good. Flexicoil tank was much gentler on the pulses.

#25 ·
We have had SM for 10 yrs. First 4410, second is a 6012. Both drills have been near flawless. I got mad a couple years ago and put in all new packer bearings. Probably only had to do 4 or 5 on the wings that see the most water but whatever. As Duchek mentioned, we have pulled ours from every angle possible while buried to the frame in slop with 2000gal of nh3 mounted onboard. Never touched it with a welder. Field finish that people complain about is purely cosmetic

#26 ·
I'm pulling a 60' seedmaster 12" spacing that has a 440 ezzeon tow between tank. I bought it used and in total it has covered >30,000 acres, >10,000 of those by me. It has been a fantastic drill and cart. I will admit there can be trash clearance problems, however if you manage your trash well at all there should be no problem. I have even seeded into sprayed out CRP and CRP in the fall that was not sprayed out and I'm talking about stuff that had a tall heavy stand of alfalfa and grass and not once did I plug in the 320 Acres. More than once I've seeded next to where a neighbor had seeded 3 -5 days earlier than I did and my crop emerged before theirs.

#31 ·
Ive been running a 2012 Seedmaster 5012 for 5 years. Hasn't seen a welder yet. Have changed one or two packer wheel bearings a year and a hand full of packer wheel inner tubes.
We have been quite happy with it.
The guys complaining about it being a giant rake are likely trying to seed perpendicular to last years seeding direction. It's designed for no-till and seeding between last years stubble. If you want to seed your fields in a different direction every year you will likely not be happy either.

#42 ·
Got to see a SeedMaster working in the Mallee last week near Swan Hill, the farmer had 2, 80fts from memory doing 46,000 acres.
Got to say I was impressed, a lot better built in the flesh than I expected, the owner traded 2, 70 ft machines, got to see one in town that had done over 120,000 acres and all it needed was new points.
The machine looked simple and tidy with a lot of clever tech on it, including sect control and bin scales...

#54 · (Edited)
I think he is right , I mean how much easier is it going to make it and precise, very much low hanging fruit , who buys a spread without scales and a sprayer without a flow meter and rate controller, GYRAL at a quick look have separate tanks ,it would be easer for them , Simplicity seems to have the seed master bar a bit all wrapped up but only with there own carts

#56 ·
We have 2 80 foot seedmasters with the 345 onboard and 780 nova tanks. 4 tanks, 4 scales and each can be calibrated on their own. They have an app that you download and has calibration numbers for every product that they have tested. So, use the app for initial numbers, use their smartcal feature for the first 20 acres or so which dials the cal number into exact and you are good to go. Save these cal numbers for each product you use and its as accurate as it can be.

There is a remote display for the scales, so as you are filling you can dial in exactly how much you want in each compartment. The new ones with the right equipment on your tender truck can actually be programed to shut the shoots at a certain weight. Their options are pretty neat and useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.