Placing fertilizer on same plain as seed or below? - The Combine Forum

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Placing fertilizer on same plain as seed or below?

Hi there, was wanting some input on some new openers I am wanting to get for a flexible coil 5000. I'm planning on going from a stealth paired row to a side band double shoot opener. The stealth places the fertilizer below the seed, while lots of other options place the fertilizer on the same plane just beside the seed. Is there any advantages to this other than an easier pull? Any disadvantage? Can a guy go just as high on fert rate without worrying about seed damage on the same plane side band? Thanks for the input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Where are you located? What are your soil conditions? How much fert do you typically put down? I'd worry a bit about seed damage putting heavy rates of fert right next to the seed rows.

Transaxial likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Great question. Ideal is to get the fert down to 3 inches unpacked. But hardly anyone is doing that anymore. I am deciding weather to bother dropping the fert knife down a bit from factory seedhawk setting. So ya considering you will be putting your seeds between .5 and 1.5 inches, try get an opener that puts the fert out a touch lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

I'm located in Cereal Alberta, which is eastern and just a little ways south of central Alberta. Soil types around here are more on the sandy side, with some areas of clay base. Also, I put around 150# of 34-17-05 with my canola, and just 60# of 11-52 with my peas. So far I'm leaning towards just going with the stealth side band openers since it still places the fert lower then the seed, and is narrower then what's offered by the likes of bourgault tillage side band which is still 2.5inches.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would also consider Atom-Jet , they have a couple of options for side banding but there openers will provide the separation to maintain seed safety . The benefits are it will not risk seed falling into the trench especially in sandy soil and the HP required to pull will be much better than Stealth. Also I would guess disturbance will be much better as the Stealth I have seen really move dirt.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like the John Deere dealer in coronation is the closest to me so I'll give them a shout and see how much they are worth.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No problem , I might call them direct their guys are normally very knowlegable , sometimes I wonder about dealerships
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
I had Stealth boots in single shoot and didn't hear anything good about the dual shoot add on, ended up selling them and going to a Dutch openers, works decent but can plug a bit easier cause the fert comes out that wing on the side. Excellent separation tho, don't have to worry about fert burn.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

I've think I narrowed my choice to between the bourgault same plane side band and the Dutch vertical side band which puts the fert 3/8" lower. Anyone have experience with either? Dutch is about 10$ cheaper at 160/opener. Thanks for the input
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Ron.Koster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Farmer View Post
I've think I narrowed my choice to between the bourgault same plane side band and the Dutch vertical side band which puts the fert 3/8" lower. Anyone have experience with either? Dutch is about 10$ cheaper at 160/opener. Thanks for the input
I'm gonna be putting on the BTT same plane side band on my 5710 with 7" inch spacing. I did a lot research and talked to a lot of people about choosing the right opener. I picked the BTT because it has the lowest draft and lowest disturbance of all three side band choices (AtomJet, Dutch Vertical, BTT). Can't comment on how they work yet though as I'm in the process of installing them now. I had BTT rep send me a third party document that they did soil bin HP tests on the competitors side band openers and a few paired rows.

BTT - 1.4 HP per opener
Dutch Vertical - 2.3 HP per opener
AtomJet - 3 HP per opener

I was able to buy my BTT openers at Moodys in Perdue,SK for $155 each.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page