flexi coil 5000 with 2340 tank - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
flexi coil 5000 with 2340 tank

This thread is early as we usually get stuck with the same thing happening every year and can't figure out what causes the problem . We go and service the drill every year -- you know change worn tubes , replace bad hyd hoses , check out the meter rollers and all the rest . Then we fill it up and head to the field and fold it out and get ready for the first round and then ----- nothing is happening with the feed rollers . they just won't turn when driving ahead -- but they turned when we set up the seed and fert by pushing the set button on the frame . I can remember unplugging power many times until it magically started to work . The meter system is a electric dc motor driving a hydraulic torque multiplier to drive the roller . Has anybody had the same problem and what is doing it and what is the fix ????????????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
I have had a similar issue but noticed right away what was going on, the meters were not turning because the switch assembly on the seed tool was sticking, the little rod was not moving free enough and was not able to hit the switch to tell the unit to begin turning the rollers. Check for that when you are hooked up in the yard and cycling the drill and see that the up/down arrows are functioning on your monitor. When you are traveling down the road with the unit or in the field make sure the ground speed system is registering, I've not had that fail but if you see no speed it won't seed. Of course you could have a bad connection at your plug but believe me that silly little switch not being pressed can throw a guy.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Ahh which switch are you talking about-- the ones on the cart that you press when calibrating it or the one on the drill that can switch the seed on and off . we don't have that switch we use the one on the monitor at the end of every row .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM

I am referring to the actual tool switch that is adjustable with a spring and chain, on the drill itself. If you are not using that type of system then that can't be your issue. How about the speed readout that comes from the wheel on the cart, is that indicating properly when you are moving and run into this issue of no meters turning ?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
All switches working and correct position?
Does it know you are moving, speed sensor?
Implement switch working? There is a small circuit board in the implement switch harness. Near the switch. I have not seen one fail, but... If you check the harness with an ohm meter it may confuse you a bit. I believe FC uses it as a circuit check for controler when switch is open. Can mess with non FC systems if trying to use that switch and harness.
Error codes coming up?
Do you have that control box for variable rate in the system? If so, unplug it and make sure to plug the terminator back in its place.
Hydraulics working? I run carts with the auger in float when fan is running and the fan in float when using the auger. Those 1/2" couplers don't flow enough oil and can start acting up.
Burnt out fuses?
Are plugs plugged in all the way?
Meter roller bearings turn smooth? They are snug when turning by hand but smooth.
Meter roller speed sensor working? I have replaced a couple of them in the past.
The electric motors can go bad. The ones with the red flag are the worst for this. Seals fail then dirt and water gets into the bearings. Downhill from there. If it does have the red flag, turn the flag and be sure the roller turns free when hydraulics are operating. Or, with everything turned on press the cal button and be sure it turns freely.

These have been around long enough I seen about everything that can fail, fail. Went through everything off the top of my head. Never ran a 40 series but they are similar to the 50 series.

Last edited by lanwickum; 04-18-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

There is a speed reading as it works on the way to the field .We don't use the switch on the cult but have one set up in the cab besides the seat . The rollors run ok when pressing the cal button as we cal it in the yard . The issue usually starts in the first field either right at the start or 500 ft down the row . The rollors just don't want to turn when seeding and if I remember right even when the cal button is pressed it's like there is no power there . But after unplugging the main control it then starts to work and will work the rest of seeding . Have checked out all the plug ins , the fuses on the cart the battery is usually a new one , and have changed the relays at the cart as well .Just kind of like magic happens and then it starts working but some years it took a lot of farting around before the magic happened . And yes it is variable rate .
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
When you drop the drill into the ground do you get the beeps to indicate the work switch has engaged? Does the monitor show the little animations on the meters?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:34 PM
NVW

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I don't have the variable rate feed rolls,(2320) cart. Sounds like a bad connection IE low voltage. Seeing it happens at the start of seeding but straightens out.
Maybe not low voltage as much as an inability to supply the amps.

Leo

Last edited by NVW; 04-18-2017 at 09:36 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Do those ones have the agitators? Are they working? Maybe the products are packing down during transport
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:54 PM

I presume all the meters are not turning according to the readout then ?

Is it possible that you drew down the battery while running the meters in the yard with the bypass buttons as after all the battery only receives a charge once the fan is running. I would say check your voltage in the yard on your battery when the fan is running to make sure the alternator is putting out enough voltage. Also try charging the battery with a charger after you have completed the calibrations, won't hurt but may not help either.

Have you had someone visually watch the meters when you are having this issue, I ran into a problem where one meter roll was claiming it was not turning according to the readout when in fact it was turning as fast as it was capable of and the culprit that time was a failed speed sensor for that metering box.

Do you use an electrical contact cleaner on the connections at the back of the tractor, if not that might be advisable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page