The Combine Forum banner

7000 Series Bourgault Fans

8K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  kauppfarms 
#1 ·
Having some issues with plugging our 60ft 3720 with a 7950 tank. We have it hooked to a 620 Quad with twin flow hydraulics and it plugs going in and out of runs sometime. Currently doing Peas and have 290# of product going through.

So right now- running 1 fan, 290# of product. When we turn around our fan is dropping from 5600 (doesn't want to run faster than that for some reason, these are high speed fans) down around 4500 and then begins speeding up when we lower the drill. If it would stay at 5600 the whole time we wouldn't have any issues. We don't think it's flow because it doesn't start dropping until we are completely out of the ground and it starts rising as soon as you hit the master switch. Is there something in the tank that controls fan speed at all? When we were doing durum we had no problem with getting the fans right up to 6000.

Have the fan running on a separate pump from the up/down circuit as well.

Also, we completely turned off ASC because we were plugging up at least a run or two every time we turned around. Just product sitting in the hose, just gotta get out and shake it out and then away you go again.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#10 ·
Yes, it drops as soon as the stream is empty and then slowly speeds up when it fills up again. It's been working good since turning asc off but as soon as we turn it on we start plugging again. Weird thing is that it wasn't doing this fan speed drop when doing the durum.

#9 ·
In the durum we were running 5800 and 5500 on each fan. No problems. Less product per stream than the peas. Friends running similar setup and said he hasn't noticed his fan much. Says he sets his remotes in the 50s depending on what speed he wants. We've got to run ours full 100 percent to get to where we are. They're gonna check the hydraulic flow on the tractor tomorrow, but considering Bourgault recommends 25gpm for the fan and it's running on its own 57gpm pump I can see that being the issue. Lots of these are run on 1/2" couplers, including the first owners of the tractor who pulled 84ft with a 7950.

#12 · (Edited)
A few things could be combining here to cause your problem. Since this possibly only happens when the ASC is in use, maybe you should check your ASC distributor and make sure some of the bypass circuits aren't plugged. The small amount of product that sits in the bypass can set up when the drill is parked for awhile. They are responsible for maintaining flow around the valve and through the distribution system when the distributor valves close. They are there for a reason, to prevent problems like you are having.

You may have to shim the sheet metal shield in front of your left fan intake about a inch farther away to stop field debris from plugging the main part of the screen. We just used longer 3/8 bolts and 2 or 3 7/16 nuts on each one for spacers. If its an earlier 7950 this needs to be done.

I wouldn't run the fan spools at 100% on that tractor. I prefer to adjust it upward on the fly until you reach the target fan speed or until further response is lost and leave it at that setting. I'm not positive but I believe that when a flow is selected far above what the circuitry can flow the system becomes less stable because the flow is based on the maximum less total circuit resistance. With a preselected limit set in each fan spool the base resistance is set by the electronic trimmer valve in the spool.

Lbs per acre is not the issue with a disc drill, its lbs per minute. You are likely putting down more lbs per minute with your 60' disc than the last guy was with an 84' hoe.

We use 3/4 inch SCV's on the fans, but 5500 RPM give or take is still about the maximum in most cases with the normal high speed fan option. The high air flow / high hydraulic flow option that is now available are different than what you are using it sounds like.

#14 ·
Good info. It's not plugging with ASC off but is still doing the fan drop thing. We're actually only going 5.5mph to prevent plugging so we wouldn't be putting out more product. I'd like to get going 6.5-7 but too many problems. Looks like we've got a rainy day so I'll look into some of this stuff more.

As far as not running the spools at 100%, as soon as we lower them the fan speed drops so we just have no option. I'll have my dealer check flow and psi tomorrow and hopefully it's just low and is an easy fix.

#13 ·
Make sure tractor is putting out 3200 psi at coupler. There is over 150psi drop from tractor to tank so your tractor is going into standby on pump to soon. Trust me the big Bourgault dealers are turning up all there new tractors to 3200psi

I believe bourgault wants 17 gpm at 3000psi out of tractor coupler. And to get that out of a case your going to need standby at 3150-3200

#20 ·
Been shut down pretty well since last Friday. In the meantime the tractor has been at RME getting the Certified Pre Owned inspection done. I guess the tractor had been put in parallel flow by previous owner for some reason so they changed that to twin flow. Also did the couplers since it was shut down anyway. So hopefully those two things fix it but won't know probably till Monday.

#21 ·
Ok update, and not a particularly good one.

As suspected 3/4 couplers have made zero difference. They checked presssure, flow and put the system in twin flow and it seems worse. Still max out at 5500 rpm and drop 900 rpm when product is out of system. RME set both fans up on one pump and when tractor is idling with both fans running they drop down to 2000rpm. When on separate pumps they stay at 4500 rpm at idle. Still have to run spools at 100%, if you turn them down at all we lose fan speed immediately and quickly. Can't use ASC. The bypass lines also keep getting full of product, is something not set right?

Anyhow the service manager called the Bourgault service guy and he claims that that's just the way these 60ft 6 tower air systems are. Can't expect to get anymore apparently because there isn't enough places for the air to go? Seems a bizarre explanation to me that I can't get my head around, and that's without considering that there are other members here with same set up and not the same issue. Says we just need to go slower and that's all there is to it.

#25 ·
Are tractor did the same thing till dealer fallowed Bourgault instructions and was getting 17gpm at 2950psi on a coupler Standby had to be cranked to 3200psi to do that. Mechanic could only get 13gpm at 2800psi with standby at 2950psi and we where maxing fans out at 5200-5300 with product. With pressure turned up I can get 6000 easy. I'm running both fans on 1 pump and never need to go over 75% flow now.

Are you sure dealer turned the right pump up?

#22 ·
It's totally normal for the fans to drop speed when there's no product in the lines. (High air flow point)

It's normal for the fan to speed up once product is in the air stream. (High pressure point)

What don't seem normal is the 5500 limit.

We're running to high flow fans on a 59gal rated Challenger tractor and have no problems hitting the 6000 "limit" on both.

They did check pressure setpoint the pumps are stroking out at like suggested before?

#23 · (Edited)
What are your off time and on times to location? You can find this by toggling through the service menue to Tank-Setup-7950.

Press the number of each active tank to open that info. I have them all set at 1/2 of a second because I do not want the meter to slug the closed ASC valve when it starts or vice versa the meters run too long when the ASC closed. Time to location is meter to ASC not ASC to soil that's in a different screen.

I can't really help you on the fan speed, how many lbs of product per acre per fan today?

Make sure you don't have a big wear hole in a primary hose. Sometimes they don't spray many pellets but will cause that primary to plug which often leads to others plugging.

I think your fans are always going to be in the 4700 to 5700 range maxed out with what you have depending on product load. The bander fan will likely be slower because they have bigger diameter lines and boots even though there are fewer of them.

#24 ·
FYI........Last year on our 7700 tank we could hit 5300 rpm with no load with our 9560 with high flow hydraulics. This year w changed our air k and manifolds from a 8 tower Morris manifold to a 8 tower seedmaster manifold system. Can only get about 4400 rpm now, running it with our RX which has more hydraulic flow. Was kinda of concerned at first till I checked the air coming out of the boots. We have way more air moving at less rpm's. Could be because our secondary lines are much shorter. I don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.