John Deere 1890/1895 Aftermarket parts - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default John Deere 1890/1895 Aftermarket parts

Hi!
Does anyone know companies for aftermarket parts for the John Deere Disc Drills?
.....bearings, discs and so on

Thanks
JoRu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
RF
Remember

Needham and Shoup both in the US.
RF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

GEN in Coaldale will put carbide on your boots to make them wear longer. Have heard up to and above 30 000 acres.

Diverse crop rotation, increased residue retention and minimized tillage will increase yield and crop health more than anything we can spray or spread at litres or pounds per acre.

http://andgronomy.blogspot.ca/
kirschenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirschenman View Post
GEN in Coaldale will put carbide on your boots to make them wear longer. Have heard up to and above 30 000 acres.
Wear is great with these, but they do cause more soil and straw being bulldozed out of the furrow. This also causes more wear on the boot attachment point (eggs the bolt hole out), as well as requiring more down-pressure to keep the opener in the ground consistently at the intended depth. This may even require more frame weight on the drill itself. And it certainly increases the draft load. Just fyi . . . .

consulting agronomist since '94, founder Exapta Solutions ('99)

www.AgronomyPro.com
www.Exapta.com
matt hagny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the information!

I found all websites - if i would have to rebuilt a disc machine, it is way cheaper to contact one of the company and buy everything in a package.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
Thanks for the information!

I found all websites - if i would have to rebuilt a disc machine, it is way cheaper to contact one of the company and buy everything in a package.
Ok, but check on the quality of some of the discount stuff. It is very important that the disk hold an edge. If it is not properly made it will dull quickly leaving you with a roller that pushes more residue into the seed trench. Hagny will likely know what parts to stay clear of in the discount store.
doorknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Ok, but check on the quality of some of the discount stuff........
How is it possible to check the quality by the discs?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Basically just like you are doing now. Ask. Some people have bought the discount stuff with fine results. Others have have noting but trouble with them. If you have a specific brand disk blade in mind and the price sounds near too good to be true, it may be. Not always, but when you are buying 48 or more blades, it can get really expensive to have parts you are not satisfied with. Sometimes imported blades can be warped and not run true. Others can wear blunt instead of hardened specifically to self sharpen. Some are brittle and break at the first stone. Matt Hagny and others have a lot of experience with a lot of different setups and aftermarket parts. Studying the performance of parts is part of Matt's business.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

You could also buy a few different disks and send them in to a qualified metallurgist along with one of the original disks and have them tested for the qualities you want. It could be a bit expensive but over time may pay off.

I've bought some aftermarket plow moldboards and found that I get less than half the wear of the original brand name moldboards.
RM-MN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
You could also buy a few different disks and send them in to a qualified metallurgist along with one of the original disks and have them tested for the qualities you want. It could be a bit expensive but over time may pay off.

I've bought some aftermarket plow moldboards and found that I get less than half the wear of the original brand name moldboards.

I found that same thing. The parts were less money and advertised as meeting oem specs, but did'nt perform or wear worth a darn. So I've been trying to make note of what parts I have to stay with oem and what I can get by aftermarket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.