No seed in ground on my farm yet. You? - The Combine Forum

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
No seed in ground on my farm yet. You?

Some seeding has happened on sandy areas by Chelan and a few other places but minimal. NH3 movement has been slow so far I have been told but hopefully that will change soon. Next to nothing applied last fall so once things take off there will be a shortage gauranteed. Not a question of if, but when. Last rain here made fields in my area made 3/10" look like 3" Ground is full here. Still waiting on crop insurance to assess wildlife damage and trying to still combine. I went til 12:30 the other night and buried the combine and then the rain came 2 min later. I had a couple fields that I worked the ruts out of last year that were close to getting ready to seed but would be going around wet areas still. The days on the calendar keep going by and am starting to get anxiety here. Maybe I shouldn't be nervous but am. One thing I do know is if it's going to be another year like last year I am better off not putting the seed in the ground. Last 2 yrs here have hit hard in my area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
guys just starting to seed at rosetown. I'm in the same boat 1100 acres to combine fields to wet and calling for rain sunday.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:11 AM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Man I feel for you that is not a good feeling last year it wouldn't stop raining this year seems like it won't rain here and we are just over a month probably from combining or trying to on our corn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
2-3 more strategicly spaced out rains like this last one and we'll be collecting the $100 an acre and booking some time at the lake once I'm released from the mental institution.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
We have been lucky enough to get 300 acres done on some of our lighter better drained land. Were hoping to spray some at the start of this week but too wet now. Hadn't had any precip since mid-late March, whenever that blizzard was, and wasn't much. Everything has been clear of snow since late February except for snow banks and was looking to be drying up nicely. Got an inch of rain Sunday night and now all the creeks and ditches are running and water laying around almost like spring again. Guess that's what happens when you get excess moisture for 15 years! Have one quarter that dries up better that might be able to get some fertilizer on tomorrow. I don't get too excited any more, didn't even pre-buy any fertilizer or anything last fall or this spring. If it stays too wet, F it, take the crop insurance and be better off. Have tried farming enough wet years to know mudding in a crop doesn't pay any bills, at least I won't be out the inputs this year.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Tried harrowing a 1/4 on Sat , diseased out lentils , did the headlands not too bad , abit wet in the draws , fairly flat land , started crossing the field got stuck , neighbour came and pulled me out , hadn't even left the field stuck a 2nd time , pulled me out , thought, well try and stick to the presumably dryer ground , almost got stuck twice then wasn't sure where to even go and 3rd time a charm !! Got neighbour to come back and we both said time to go home , never seen that field like that before !! Got an inch of rain on the weekend , not sure if and/or when that piece will get done !!
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Lloydminster has started serious seeding. Farmer I work for has 2 quarters done.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
I don't think I should ever complain about the conditions we farm in in S. Alberta. We're getting on the dry side here.

Rooting for you guys in these difficult conditions! Here's hoping you get a crop in and get a good harvest (in the fall!).
SWMan likes this.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quite a few farms are done seeding in our area , got done here yesterday.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Put most of the NH3 on last fall making sure to have the ground going into wheat done. Finished NH3 this spring on the heavy land but now too cold to seed canola, and the light ground got a good shot of rain, so I am waiting for warmer weather to either dry out the wheat ground, or start seeding canola.

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page