How deep can you seed various crops - The Combine Forum

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
How deep can you seed various crops

When chasing moisture how deep are you prepared to seed to get it? Crops wheat barley canola. I'm at 1.25" for wheat at the moment. Not particularly deep but I wondered in the dry areas how deep you can successfully get particularly cereals up from.

Surely His goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
I had a cylinder internally leaking on a drill once. Went a few passes wondering why it was starting to pull hard. Spring wheat came up from 6" deep. I would not try to do that again.

nig71 likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
canola will come up from 1.5 - 2 inches

wheat, barley, sorghum will all come up from 3 inches

faba beans, chickpeas - how deep do you want to go ?

generally, in our environment, the priority is getting the seed in the mud - not really how deep it is

most seeding equipment ( depending on how you close the seed trench, & apart from double disc planters ) tend to leave some sort of furrow over the seed row anyway, which effectively reduces the amount of soil over the seed.

using a tyne in the past I have gone 6" deep chasing moisture, but still ended up with about 1.5 over the seed
nig71, adsinaus and meritmat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 PM
NVW

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Back in 83 we had a really dry spring, moisture was 2-3" down. A few set the Canola seed to moisture, most of us put it in the dust hoping for a rain. It finally rained June 18th, the guys who put it the moisture had a heck of a crop as it made it up. The guys who put it in the dust had nothing, the rain never stopped until we had 12". most of it drowned out.

I remember the date as it was my brothers stag, was a heck of a party as it had started raining.
nig71 and Baudy like this.

Leo

Last edited by NVW; 05-12-2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: sp.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
By depth, I guess you are asking how much soil can the seed "come up" through. That depends on soil type, whether the soil cover is packed or not and the coleoptile length of the different varieties. The lighter the soil, the easier it is for seed to push through. Generally, I would not put more than 2 inches of soil over the top of wheat in clay soil. Any more and your plant population and early plant vigor may suffer. Barley is a little more hardy, so you can go 0.5" deeper than wheat.
Peas and beans will emerge from quite some depth.
nig71, adsinaus and chance2 like this.

Life is what happens to you while you`re busy making other plans.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lynas; 05-13-2017 at 07:01 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:31 PM
X80

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
I would have thought in your "sandier" conditions Nig you could get away with a bit.

Forrest had very short cole..in Portland to deep in heavy loam with a pre em over the top it would fail...when i had block further nth it had a sand ridge..i sowed forrest up there and it came from a good 4" where it sunk in...

as lynas stated packing and how the soil packs influences it...can you sink the discs in on the pillar and back the packing pressure off?

I aim for wheat / Barley at 25mm which is friggin hard work with a MF55!! but due to my love of land planning i can do it!...my dirt wont pack when dryish but when wet some gets that plasticine feel and makes it hard for plants...

Faba - you cant plant in china..they will appear in Oz...i aim for 50mm but thats to get them out and humming before wet...alot in millicent SA go 100mm...this is to allow for another strike of weeds before emergence and spray them out...

Sowed clover from top to 10mm...a bet each way as seed dirt cheap...

if your bombing hard with pre em be careful as sometimes that's what finishes them when the poke through..due to my rain the pre em seems to soak in and work very well..but it does mark the plants usually..you see a little yellow rectangle on the leaf...

Are you dry???

Ant...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by X80 View Post
I would have thought in your "sandier" conditions Nig you could get away with a bit.

Forrest had very short cole..in Portland to deep in heavy loam with a pre em over the top it would fail...when i had block further nth it had a sand ridge..i sowed forrest up there and it came from a good 4" where it sunk in...

as lynas stated packing and how the soil packs influences it...can you sink the discs in on the pillar and back the packing pressure off?

I aim for wheat / Barley at 25mm which is friggin hard work with a MF55!! but due to my love of land planning i can do it!...my dirt wont pack when dryish but when wet some gets that plasticine feel and makes it hard for plants...

Faba - you cant plant in china..they will appear in Oz...i aim for 50mm but thats to get them out and humming before wet...alot in millicent SA go 100mm...this is to allow for another strike of weeds before emergence and spray them out...

Sowed clover from top to 10mm...a bet each way as seed dirt cheap...

if your bombing hard with pre em be careful as sometimes that's what finishes them when the poke through..due to my rain the pre em seems to soak in and work very well..but it does mark the plants usually..you see a little yellow rectangle on the leaf...

Are you dry???

Ant...
The more you drop the frame down on the pillar the more you fill in the front row, I can get more pressure on the discs but I need to add some frame weight but it's for a minuscule amount of country . If I hit really hard dirt the discs push the entire machine out of the ground but as it is there is 290kg of weight on each disc. I wouldn't like it to run over my toes.

It has got a bit dry here but ten ml a few days ago will get us to the end of seeding. Most of the canola went in on good moisture and is up. Sheep feed is pretty tight though. 500ha to go or so.

Just wondered when push comes to shove how deep you can go. It's not something I often have to think about .
X80 likes this.

Surely His goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nig71 View Post
When chasing moisture how deep are you prepared to seed to get it? Crops wheat barley canola. I'm at 1.25" for wheat at the moment. Not particularly deep but I wondered in the dry areas how deep you can successfully get particularly cereals up from.
I have a basic seeder, we aim to seed canola around 25mm deep and shallower it drys out to quick, wheat barley oats 40mm or so. Most legumes we go deep if needed.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Seeding canola for the first time today. Just got the old flexi 6000 set last night. At the price for this L140P canola it is making me a bit nervous on this subject. 1/2" of rain expected on Wednesday. These fields can crust. Looking like 1"-1/4" deep. Had 0.4" of rain Friday so lots of moisture. I will see what happens. THe fert I am putting down makes me almost just as nervous. a blend of 40-23-10-15, then 3lb of granular humic with the seed. Humic is an experiment. Humic growth solutions just started a processing plant close to me. I want to support them and want this work. I just dumped bags in while filling cart for "blend". 65lb fert with the seed and 112lb down under the seed with the front disc. I would say 2" or so under the seed. Just happens to be what works out so my tanks run out about the same time on the 3450 cart. Enough babbling about my concerns and off to setting seed. Need a biting fingers nail emjoi.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Wheat will come through 5 inches, we have that situation more often than I care to remember, unless it gets rained on and crusts the soil then its time to turn around and start over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page