Alfalfa planting with canola discs - The Combine Forum

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Alfalfa planting with canola discs

Brother was getting fert the other day and a guy told him he was going to go out with corn planter to seed dead spots in hay feald with corn planter with canola plats in it
Any ony try this
Dose it work
If it dose i need some plats for a 7200 planter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Well, that's a wild idea! I'll be curious to see what this guy thinks of his results, and somewhat surprised if someone chimes in with a positive experience....

I think of what a great job something like a Brillion grass seeder does, then think of how vastly different that is compared to a corn planter, with a drill and grass seeder attachment somewhere in the middle (but much closer to the brillion).

What size area we talking about? No chance of autotoxicity making any method a slim chance of success? In a pinch, harrow it a little bit, blend some seed with some appropriate fertilizer, spread and roll.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
We seed all of our seed alfalfa with a planter. It is a monosem planter and i THINK you can get custom seed plates from monosem with any size hole and as many holes as u want. We use our canola discs or alfalfa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
My cousin is getting some alfalfa seeds coated in something to make them the same size as canola for use in his monosem planter. He thought about the plates with small holes in them but I think the cost is quite high.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s6704940 View Post
We seed all of our seed alfalfa with a planter. It is a monosem planter and i THINK you can get custom seed plates from monosem with any size hole and as many holes as u want. We use our canola discs or alfalfa.
Huh! Well I'll be jiggered. That's what a sheltered life does for ya'.

I've never been around a monosem planter....what's the row spacing? Are you truly trying to singualte alfalfa seed like a planter does? What seeding rate? And as slow as alfalfa grows and bushes out, and depending on your row spacing answer, how do you control weeds?

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:39 PM

We run 22 inch spacing. Seeding speed is driving slow and rate is lower than seeding with other seeding implements.We seed the regular crop first [like wheat or durum] then we go over the field with planter and seed in alfalfa, so the first year the alfalfa grows with other crop to establish itself,then the year after you have the first alfalfa crop. Alfalfa actually grows fast and the 22 inch gaps between the rows are filled in by mid june. After harvest we do light tillage on it so it doesnt grow to thick next year.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Seeding rate for seed alfalfa is usually 1 #/ac. Seeded with a planter you can go in the spring with a cultivator and get weeds between the rows too.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
I like learning new things I would have never even thought of.
adsinaus likes this.

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s6704940 View Post
We run 22 inch spacing. Seeding speed is driving slow and rate is lower than seeding with other seeding implements.We seed the regular crop first [like wheat or durum] then we go over the field with planter and seed in alfalfa, so the first year the alfalfa grows with other crop to establish itself,then the year after you have the first alfalfa crop. Alfalfa actually grows fast and the 22 inch gaps between the rows are filled in by mid june. After harvest we do light tillage on it so it doesnt grow to thick next year.
Interesting. When you say "alfalfa grows fast", I assume you mean in year 2? I would agree with that. Year 1 not so much, the whole point of a nurse crop, no? I do oats nurse crop most of the time, but not always. Seeding rate here is more like 15 pounds per acre for hay. Which is what the OP wanted to do, fix a hay field.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:26 PM

Yes what I ment is second year, after it is established. And and seeded at one pound per acer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page