Corrected GPS Guidance, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - The Combine Forum

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Corrected GPS Guidance, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

What are people's opinions of what GPS guidance works excellent for your own situation?

I have Omnistar HP/XP/G2 available but choose not to use it most of the time because it's especially annoying during satellite realignment episodes.

I'm not terribly concerned about deadly accuracy and I generally find that I can manage WAAS with the steering wheel for a few seconds during corrections and get it stabilized again quicker than Omnistar or Autonomous since I have the option of toggling between all three.

In the CenterPoint RTX literature, it claims to maintain accuracy through 200 seconds of signal corrections, that sounds ideal for my problem if it actually did that consistently.

Has anyone used CenterPoint RTX in a fast moving broad acre planting situation that can offer an opinion?

http://www.trimble.com/Positioning-S...Point-RTX.aspx

Last edited by Haystack; 05-15-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Link typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I run a Pro 600 in both my planter tractor and sprayer. Works close enough for me planting sunflowers and soybeans. Also run an EZ Guide 500 with EZ Steer for the air seeder.

Last edited by case; 05-15-2017 at 08:21 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Wouldn't you need fairly close correction towers to achieve the claimed 4 cm for centerpoint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Wouldn't you need fairly close correction towers to achieve the claimed 4 cm for centerpoint?
They say not and early in the season it is pretty much bang on, get a few more people on it in the system later in the spring like soybean time and it's not one bit better than WAAS, in fact I thought it was worse.

Waste of money and I can find plenty to agree to that here anyway

God Bless America
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
They say not and early in the season it is pretty much bang on, get a few more people on it in the system later in the spring like soybean time and it's not one bit better than WAAS, in fact I thought it was worse.

Waste of money and I can find plenty to agree to that here anyway
Thanks, not what I wanted to hear, but kind of what I expected. I don't think Omnistar is worth money either. I would be happy enough with the accuracy level of WAAS if there was only a way to maintain that through the correction phases.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
My second year with Omnistar on FMX , before waas .
Not happy happy with waas cause SH drill with sct was lost on headlands and tight turns .
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
I believe they don't have to be so close because there are quite a few of them and because Trimble does advanced processing to do the corrections (e.g. model the atmosphere). Also, the number of people using the system should have no bearing on the accuracy. They use the network to compute the corrects and then each roaming unit receives those corrections from the satellites (i.e. they have a side-channel to broadcast their computed corrections).
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
We have been using rtk correction for six years now and other than the cost it really works great -- using a cih 1000 trimble unit on the quad . Brothers were looking at getting the terrain mode unlocked but unsure about accuracy -- they say 1/2" but I say yes if the broadcaster is in the corner of the field but not at the dealership 15 miles away . As for accuracy we have headlands for every field and when we go back to the field even the next year you can just put it in headland and do the outside rounds and never worry about hitting anything . It is almost accurate enough that you could seed between 7" rows the next year but would have to figure out which way you went last year to get the shanks to follow each other .
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
We have been using rtk correction for six years now and other than the cost it really works great -- using a cih 1000 trimble unit on the quad . Brothers were looking at getting the terrain mode unlocked but unsure about accuracy -- they say 1/2" but I say yes if the broadcaster is in the corner of the field but not at the dealership 15 miles away . As for accuracy we have headlands for every field and when we go back to the field even the next year you can just put it in headland and do the outside rounds and never worry about hitting anything . It is almost accurate enough that you could seed between 7" rows the next year but would have to figure out which way you went last year to get the shanks to follow each other .
Completely agree and our experience has been the same. Put our own RTK tower up years ago and it's the best money we've spent.

WAAS will drive you mental after you've had RTK.

All our boundary's are mapped and autosteer the outside round. The line is always bang on.
adsinaus likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
Thanks, not what I wanted to hear, but kind of what I expected.
Your welcome, wish someone would have gave me a heads up last year cause renting a RTK tower for a few more bucks would have saved alot of my hair when I did my wheat/beans.

I parked in the pass everytime and used the same A-B lines and when I would restart the wheat was within 2" once rolling witch is fine enough for me but when I put the soys in after doing "fast restart" everything would be fine, put the tractor in gear and be 90 or more inches off just like that and a variance of 90-120" over the course of the day wasn't unusual and sometimes 10" per mile pass.

Got two friends using it for strip till and one told me yesterday he wished he had listened to me cause he got started on corn and had planter problems, got going that night, and couldn't figure out what was going on when approaching the end of the field as he came in wrong at a telephone box and he was seeding 8 rows off! Eight rows by 30"... so much for c-METER accuracy

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page