Single disc openers - The Combine Forum

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Single disc openers

I'm looking at setting up a 16 row (8mtr) planter on 3pl and want a bit of feedback on single disc openers. I'm probably leaning towards Austil, but Excel and Gessner are local too. I know NDF are highly rated but are a bit pricey. There's also the Barton disc (Flexicoil) which seem to come up a bit on the used market, but I've heard they can drag the seed out of the trench. It will be used on heavy black clay soil to plant wheat, barley, chickpeas and mungbeans on 500 centres. Any feedback appreciated. Cheers, and all the best for ur winter crops.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Go with the Excel single discs, they are a very robust unit I've been very happy with mine and the latest versions are very user friendly when it comes to replacing discs. If you go that way make sure you order them with the poly coated seed firming wheel and get them to change the seed tube to the opposite side to which the are meant to be, doing this gets the enclosed tube to the front of the shield and helps get the seed to he bottom of the trench in sticky conditions. They certainly aren't as good of a unit as a NDF but for the price of them they are not bad. Austil are a alright unit in dry conditions but in the wet they'll drive you nuts they badly need a floating seed tube guard and a spoked gauge wheel. Simplicity Australia has bought Austil so it will be very interesting to see what they come up with as far as taking the Austil single discs development forward. Good luck

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
hi, check out the Baldan single discs from Serafin at Griffith
Ive just updated my 8 m bar with 24 reconditioned ones, replacing worn out Abati units
Very happy with the Baldan so far

New - about $1700 I think ?
Reconditioned ( mine came with new discs / bearings / firming & gauge wheel tyres / spoked gauge wheel ) $950
Second Hand As Is ( some pics they sent me looked pretty good, but a bit of an unknown aye ) - $650
aussie.ltd. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
PS - im not that familiar with the latest generation of Excel openers, but the Baldans are far heavier built in the main pivot point ( which was a high wear area on old excels & the abatis ) & also the pivots of the firming & closing wheels. I think the pivots of firming & closing wheels are actually an update that Serafin have done themselves ?
aussie.ltd. likes this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Roy View Post
PS - im not that familiar with the latest generation of Excel openers, but the Baldans are far heavier built in the main pivot point ( which was a high wear area on old excels & the abatis ) & also the pivots of the firming & closing wheels. I think the pivots of firming & closing wheels are actually an update that Serafin have done themselves ?
The pivots are still the same, I have had pretty good wear in these areas but they are still a weak point. I forgot about the Serafin openers, they are definetly worth a look. Do they require a lot of frame weight to push those 20 inch discs into the ground? The thing I like about the Excel units is I can get parts same day with only being 80km from Toowoomba.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auscocky View Post
I'm looking at setting up a 16 row (8mtr) planter on 3pl and want a bit of feedback on single disc openers. I'm probably leaning towards Austil, but Excel and Gessner are local too. I know NDF are highly rated but are a bit pricey. There's also the Barton disc (Flexicoil) which seem to come up a bit on the used market, but I've heard they can drag the seed out of the trench. It will be used on heavy black clay soil to plant wheat, barley, chickpeas and mungbeans on 500 centres. Any feedback appreciated. Cheers, and all the best for ur winter crops.
Definitely not the Barton -- very poor design.

-----
-- Matt Hagny,

consulting agronomist since '94, founder Exapta Solutions ('99)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:22 AM

And it looks like the Austil has the blade laid over like the Barton, so I wouldn't be too keen on that one either.

-----
-- Matt Hagny,

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM

And Gessner's single-disc is also laid over.

I think you'd be a lot better off with NDF. Excel's EI 853 is probably decent, although they moved the gauge wheel farther forward as compared to the JD 50/60/90, and that is to their detriment.
aussie.ltd. likes this.

-----
-- Matt Hagny,

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback. Aussie, I think Austil do have a spoked gauge wheel now but I'm unfamiliar with the floating seed tube gaurd. I'll look into that thanks. Clean forgot about Baldan too Roy, and with a 20" disc they are a real option because some years I'll need to plant at depth. There is also Daybreak out your way too Aussie. I've heard their units are well build but not advertised much. I'm pretty sure I can rule out Barton.
Which unit did you go with Roy? I see they ave 3 different designs. Also how important/useful is that little seed firming wheel? It looks like trouble to me, in wet condition, and another moving part to wear out. Although once it's blocked up with mud, I can't see it moving much.

Last edited by Auscocky; 05-19-2017 at 04:53 PM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:18 PM

The seed firming wheel makes these units, in sticky soils change to a rubber or poly coated seed firming wheel that tends to stop mud build up to an extent, they might pick up the odd seed but the advantage of pressing that seed into the bottom of the trench is more advantages. Do a Google search on Exapta products, Mat Hagny talks about setting up zero til planters mainly focusing on JD single and double disc planters but all the ideas are universal and work well it's worth a read. I was also wondering about the Daybreak discs I would think you would want to go with their frame though because you would need that frame weight to push those big discs into the ground. I would also look at adapting a keeton seed firmer to push the seed into moisture, I'm a very big believer in the benefits of seed firmers in getting good seed to soil contact.

Farmer Roy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page