7100 VS 7300 JD Planter. Which is better? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 7100 VS 7300 JD Planter. Which is better?

We are looking at buying a cheaper corn planter for around 300 acres. I have been looking at both the 7100 and the 7300 JD corn planter but was wondering what the difference was. I know the 7100 is mechanical pick up and the 7300 is vacuum. I figure if I can get by a while with one of these then we may upgrade in the future. Any help or ideas would be helpful to get me started.
CF-Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Same here, I'm also looking for a 12R30 No Till planter to get into corn. Seems like buying an older JD planter and fixing it up with Precision Planting parts is the way to go around here. I was quoted about $1,200/row for that system. Lots of JD planters out there, but which is better? 7000, or 7100, or 7200, etc. etc. Almost too many choices.
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

I kind of the same position as you. Already have the 7100. Want to use it for beans and corn. Currently only have plates for sugar beets. My dad bought it a few years back in a pinch to plant the beets when someone said he didn't have the land to plant beats that year and backed out of renting the stock...Think he wanted more wheat in the ground when it was over $20... 5+ yrs of renting beets to him left his hands and hasn't/wont return to that jack A$$... I am very interested as well to what people have to say.
morb1lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

7000-7100-7200-7300 all pretty much have the same parts to plant the main difference was metering (vac v. finger). The gauge and closing wheel bearings are different. Some 7200 were available with finger.

Vacuum is a little more accurate. I use a finger planter cause when I custom corn plant I don't have to worry about seed size.

7000, 7200 are drawn and the 7100, 7300 are 3 point. 7000 and the 7100 are the same age and the 7200, 7300 were made at the same time.

These Deere planters are great for parts availability. I plant between 2500 to 3000 acres a year with my old Kinze rear fold 16 row. (same as 7000)
andyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Find a nice older planter that is not wore out and put precision meters on it and have a brand new planter that will plant with very nice accuracy. We have done this on a 7000 and 7200 planters and I can honestly say that they will pay themselves off in less then 200 acres. I will say that I liked the 7200 better just because of the lift system for the wheels and the clutch on the seed meters. Also you can adjust the 7200 and 7300 quicker and easier than the older 7000 and 7100 planters. We ran fingers on both of ours and had good results, in fact I would say that it had better seed placement than our newer 1760 vac planter. You can now take the old finger style meters and upgrade them to vac through Precision Planting and get over 99.5% singulation of your seed. Seen it and tested it. Best we could get with our vac meters is 95%. The finger was hitting around 96%. Good luck and don't be scared to look at the Kinze planter too!
akw321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

What would the best planter be to do straight no till corn. Such as planting into standing wheat stubble or pea ground. I am also in western nd and want to get into some corn but i am looking to stay strictly no till and i would like to go to 22 in rows. Any recommendations are appreciated.
dieseldog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Some of you might be interested in what I have for sale! It is a Jd 7200 12R flex fold conservation set up for zero till and one pass fert placment. It is advertised on Kijiji Winnipeg under "heavy equipment".
kendalwpg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SunShine22 Send a message via Skype™ to SunShine22

My grandpa ran a JD 7000 4 and 6 row for years without any problems.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

The disc blade opener gauge wheels and closing wheels are basically the same.

I notill into stubble, sod, and corn stalks. Down pressure and trash whippers are the most important part for this.
andyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default setting up 7000 / 7200 for no-till

Here's a quick overview of the key points:

Exapta Solutions :: Tech Tips for No-Till Planters

Exapta Solutions :: Fundamentals of Seed Placement

more detail here:

http://www.exapta.com/news/notill_planter_prep.pdf

best regards,

consulting agronomist since '94, founder Exapta Solutions ('99)

www.AgronomyPro.com
www.Exapta.com
matt hagny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.