John Deere 7000 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default John Deere 7000

This will be my first time planting corn. Looking for advice on planting populations on 38 inch wide rows in clay loam bottom land soils. I will be using a JD 7000 4RW with HD yetter No till coulter,martin row cleaners, Precision Finger pickup meters with bullseye seed tube,R-K seed tube Guards, Dry fertilizer, press closing wheels and drag chains. MY soil test indicated 250 units N 90P 80K for 250 BU/AC corn. Thatís unrealistic I believe. Iím hoping for 175 to 200 BU/AC with 200 units N 92P 80K. I will be planting on 38 inch rows. What are some good populations to plant at the wider rows? Everyone I have talked to says they plant 28000 to 29000. Any help is appreciated. What are the HP requirements for No till.
Best speed for planting with precision meters?
Stacks443 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would believe for a 4 row no till 7000 planter with all your no till attachments,something in the size range of a good 4020 John Derre(75-90 hp range) would be sufficient.We actually have pulled for many years a 12-30" JD7000 with a JD4010,with duals,but only had liquid fertilizer on the planter and nothing else.Populations are best dictatated by your seed company,,many hybrids have genetic factors such as non determinate ear size,,so populations need to be higher if mature ear size is only moderate on those hybrids.
You will notice skips in seed if your ground speed gets much more than 6mph with finger pickups.Or the seed will bounce out of the seed trench before it has a chance to get covered. Planting is what makes or breaks your crop,(besides poor weather-rainfall) so besides sitting on the tractor seat,stop every couple of rounds,dig down to the seed,make sure it is in firm contact with the bottom of the seed trench,it is in moist soil,and loose soil is over the seed and compacted down.Hard no till soil in my area leaves this practice much to be desired.
Prairie Sod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Praire sod. Im planting DKC 69-71, I think ill be around 30,000 at planting. The meter rep told me the same thing. He said to keep my Rpm's up on the meter I should be running 4.5 to 5 mph but after that it goes down hill. As for the tractor, Ive got a Ford-Newholland 5030 which is 65 Hp so Im really hopeing that gets me by. I do have a Computrac 200 monitor that came with the planter, Do you run one or heard if they work well?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Can't comment on your monitor,,we always had a John Deere monitor.You need to remember as well,a seed salesman is wanting to sell seed,and higher populations meand more $$$ spent.If your land is marginal with fertilization it may pay you to cut down a bit on recommended populations,,but being an optimist as all of us are here,,if you had a great season with plenty of rainfall,,higher populations equates to more bushels per. Thats what always made farming exciting to me,,every year,every field is diffrent,never duplicated.
Prairie Sod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

4 mph max and anytime I went above 30-31,000 plants per acre I started having stalks with no ears on 38" rows unles I had plenty of rain
robmgrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

well everything is a first for me so I hope It works out well.
Rob-As far as your populations. IS that planting or final stand? I planned on 29,000 planted with 10% loss max I should be around 26,500 plants per acre stand. So maybe if your numbers are final stand Ill try a couple acres with the higher numbers.
Praire-Thanks Where do you farm at? are you wide or narrow on your corn? The monitor I have is the JD 200 which looks like it will work pretty well. A friend might have me plant a few acres for him so maybe I can get a little more exprence with the planter.

Anyone ever plant beans with theie planter. I have some nice bean meter that came with the planter? Thought about planting on 19 inch rows with the planter to see how many bu/ac I got from it vs. a drill
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

My numbers were final stand but that is on good ground. Don't go over that unless you switch to narrower rows or have irrigation. There's still a good chance to make comparable yields at 26,500. And you can't always count on a 10% reduction from planted population. A lot of corn seed is actually higher than 90% germ
robmgrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Your tractor will handle that planter your hp per row is 16.25. I would not run over 4.5 mph with your setup. Have you checked the brushes in the meters? Make sure they are not worn or you will have lots of doubles.
DVFarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.