seedhawk v 1830 air dril - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default seedhawk v 1830 air dril

currently have a 60ft seedhawk on 12inch spacings an considering going to jd 1830 on 12inch spacings with 5.5inch press wheel with paired row sowing boot. Good idea or not??
scott1082 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

seems like a step backwards to me, independant opener to shank drill. whats wrong with the hawk and why are you only considering an 1830?
tsaskcan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

ya cant see why you would either uncle has a seedhawk and demoed a JD (he a john deere guy everything else but seeder) and he says the seedhawk and seedmaster are still the best in his eyes
magspec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

What would be the benefit? How old is your seed hawk? I am looking for another one.
dirtfarmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gor two seedhawks both 55ft for sale ?

Just let me know wich one
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
LOW

Your trash clearance will be better and maintenance lower in the long term. You will be sacrificing some seed placement which might hurt your germination in some years.
LOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW View Post
Your trash clearance will be better and maintenance lower in the long term. You will be sacrificing some seed placement which might hurt your germination in some years.
Those are the main things pushing me towards jd drill, they are the bar of choice in my area not to say they grow better crops or not.
scott1082 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default residue management is crutial

The reason why seedhawks and seedmasters plant more and more acres every year is because the crop germination with them is second to non. Having said that straw management is critical. There is a bit of preplanning that must be done for the next years crop as with any no till or min till system. Every field will have to have its straw or residue managed properly and that begins at the previous years harvest. Maybe you would be better off dealing with your excess straw at harvest. Having a 9600 combine on our farm left the most challenging stubble to deal with. We plugged the seedhawk quite a few times the first year we purchased it, there is a bit of a learning curve. Getting a new combine with a good chopper made a world of difference here. Now we find no real need to use the heavy harrow any more. On my farm I will not sacrifice even seeding depth and great germination for gang packers and uneven seeding depth with poor germination.
dirtfarmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfarmer2 View Post
The reason why seedhawks and seedmasters plant more and more acres every year is because the crop germination with them is second to non. Having said that straw management is critical. There is a bit of preplanning that must be done for the next years crop as with any no till or min till system. Every field will have to have its straw or residue managed properly and that begins at the previous years harvest. Maybe you would be better off dealing with your excess straw at harvest. Having a 9600 combine on our farm left the most challenging stubble to deal with. We plugged the seedhawk quite a few times the first year we purchased it, there is a bit of a learning curve. Getting a new combine with a good chopper made a world of difference here. Now we find no real need to use the heavy harrow any more. On my farm I will not sacrifice even seeding depth and great germination for gang packers and uneven seeding depth with poor germination.
I think its just great marketing that leads to those drills seeding more and more every year. Residue management is key in any cropping system.

As for how poor the seeding depth is on a Conventional drill, I think you would be surprised on the consistency that a JD 1830 can achieve with a good set of openers and seed brakes. It was incredible! Every seed, on the shelf, right where it should be!

Crops seeded with a 'Hawk or 'Master or some other indie drill should be out-yielding the conventional drills by at least 20% to make up for the significantly higher cost of ownership.
Baudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baudy View Post
I think its just great marketing that leads to those drills seeding more and more every year.

So you think all those farmers that have converted to these drills were just convinced by crafty marketing and not decisions on what works in their operations???
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.