Exactrix TAPPS? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exactrix TAPPS?

Anyone run it or know someone who does? Is it as good as they say -less nutrients applied with higher yields?
kirschenman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Exactrix TAPPS?

Andy I still don't get how they can claim less N is needed? We all know how much N is required for every tonne produced on any given crop. So unless a producer wants to mine down his organic matter in the soil a certain level of N has to be replenished back into the soil right? Therefore no cutting corners for too many years in a row.

I like the exactix concept of high pressure Nh3 it probably will help with seed to fertilizer proximity.
ninety420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Its an interesting concept. I think they try to keep the nutrients (both N and P) more available with whatever the formulation is that is created in the soil. I picked up their book at Ag Expo and its sure nice and shiny! I just went to a nutrient removal tool and saw that corn (where Exactrix claims the largest benefits) at 200bu removes only 158lbs of N and 30 lbs of P. I guess if you can keep all the N you have applied available to the plant and all the P you have applied available to the plant, you will be able to (and should for economics/environmental) cut back on nutrient use. The kick in the pants in initial cost.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

2mile: you could be right... but I read not too long ago that the crop only uses a certain % of N and P applied during the crops growth. Some N will leach below the rooting zone(not sure if any of it gets tied up within the soil structure) and P will get tied up and not be available. so maybe it has some merit if it makes 100% of the N. and P available to the planted crop.. now all I need is someone to prove it to me, before I'll make that big of an investment.
northernfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is a large investment indeed. The science behind it makes some sense -keeping N in the ammonia form rather than nitrate so it sticks around the root zone, and binding the P to something other than the Ca in the soil so it remains available.

Something that I think we can all apply is the idea of the ortho ratio. Its basically the 'perfect' combination of nutrients. We have all seen what happens when "too much" N is put on. Flat wheat. But is it actually too much N or not enough P and S (and K in some areas)? Its not just exactrix's thing, but was made by Chevron into a granule as well in the late 70s. The ratio is 27 - 12 - 0 -7S.

I have thought often why don't we fertilize based on nutrient removal rates rather than on soil tests? If a 50 bu durum crop removes 60 to 70 lbs of N, then why not put that back in next year? Might be a little more product than we are used to but in the interest of soil health its probably the best way. The big question is how do pulses fit in to that -some recent studies have begun to look at it but its still a while off before we get a formula to figure out the N we have.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

High priced snake oil in my opinion. A pound of N is a Pound of N. Period
2miletom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mar 11, 2009, 12:18pm, 2miletom wrote:High priced snake oil in my opinion.* A pound of N is a Pound of N.** PeriodJust wish it was all priced the same*
ninety420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nitrogen use effieciency is 50%. Thats it folks, the rest leaves the system via Denitrification (Nitrate to Nitrous Oxide), Volatilzation (the escape of NH3, either from the shanks or from Ammonium turning back to NH3 in high pH soils), and by leaching.

Now most think that when we get a lot of rain, we lose our Nitorgen by leaching, but in fact, d**n near all of it is going up into space. Nitrate leaching on the praries is about 5mm a year, thats it.

As for this exatrix system making some kind of "magic Nitrogen" that sticks, its complete BS!!!! NH3 turns to NH4 almost immediately, and in high pH, it can turn back to NH3 right away. You have to keep in mind that as soon as there is NH4 (Ammonium) in the soil, two types of bacteria attack it and turn it into N03 (Nitrate). That is the form it would rather be in, and that is why when soil test labs test for N it is always the Nitrate form.

Now the exactrix system claims to have better distributuion across shanks, and claim the benifit of lack of sinosoidal bands (N bulges) and i do believe that, but the cost of this system, vs. percieved benifits of lack of sinosoidal bands, is prohibitive. But, plenty of people have purchased smoke putt 'er in the ground 'ers, so what do i know!!!!

A pound of N is a pound of N. Always has always will. You major problems with NH3, that you can do something about are as follows.....

Depth..........Clay 3" this is a fact, this work was done in the 1960's and NH3 has not changed since then. Yes even MRB ammoina should be there
....................Sand 4" another fact, same as above. You want to do something to get more bang for your buck, go deeper.

Now a lot of guys are going to come back with the argument of.................blah blah blah, i do this and it works, and my machinery dealer said this....................blah blah blah. These depths are where it should be, but we keep getting shallower every year, and we are getting more losses than we know.

Soil condition.............Wet or dry, NH3 wants to go up inot the air, and if you cant close the furrow, you are going to lose some.

Bottom line, when fertilizer prices are high, someone always has a magic pill. Becareful, a 70K investment on some farms, can put you on the door of the poorhouse if you believe the hype.

As you can tell, i don't like these systems, I have read ALL of their literature and it is all HYPE!!! I have a very strong background in soil chemistry, and all i can tell you folks is there is no majic pill out there that will cure what ails you.

2mile
2miletom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

2mile: thanks for the refresher on fert. placement..

putting NH3 that deep into the soil, just doesn't work in my plans.. as I try and do everything in one operation.. seed, fert. using a Morris Contour drill with split boots that put the seed 2 inches on either side of the anhydrous that is 3/4 of and inch deeper then the seed.

is there a difference in the way Liquid or Dry fert. will react compared to anhydrous? will more be available to the crop then anhydrous?
if we were sitting in a coffee shop chatting what would you recommend?
TIA
neil
northernfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

If your nitrogen and phosphate are in the same band it makes the phos more available to the plant because it doesn't get tied up as easily in the highly concentrating N zone. That said if you are putting down 120lbs of NH3 with you canola for example the roots won't be able to get into the phosphate because the zone is too hot. It doesn't make the N more available as far as I know. I also have to ask how they are doing there measuring of N used. For example we grew a crop of winter wheat that yeilded 96 bu/acre this year and only put down around 125lbs.of N. Therefore 96x2.7(Nrequired/bu of wheat)=259lbs of N used. Yet there was still 30lbs left in the soil in soiltests this fall so you could argue we only used 95lbs of N. This is obviously not possible and the rest come from OM and perhaps deeper soil N. I just wonder if they are thinking like this and it has nothing to do with their system at all. I could also argue the same example on our corn this year.
mbfarmer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.