spray coupe ???? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default spray coupe ????

i cant afford to have someone else spray for me anymore. im looking at a spray coupe 220. can anyone give me any info on them? how do they do ini the mud? what are the weak spots on them?
bandrcattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: spray coupe ????

We had a 3630, which would be comparible. It was excellent in mud, because it was so light. The weak spots in it were the brakes they were horrible (had to take them apart every year) and it was a little under powered. We ended up trading this year to a 4700, mainly to get more water volume for spraying fungicide.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was wondering what your spraying was costing you per acre and if you had a reliable operator or if he was kind of hit and miss?
pfsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

i have a very good operator. he is a local farmer that does custom work. we had to pay 7 per acre last year. i only have been farming about 300 acres but this year we picked up alot more land. now i will have about 850 acres. i just cant pay someone 7 per acre to spray all that ground 2 times a year.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

We pay 4.50 here in manitoba and it did't take long to pay for our 3630 at 7 it wouldn't take long to justify getting a coupe.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I cover a lot of ground and 7.00 an acre is probably where it should be. I got six last year and am seriously rethinking the whole custom ap thing because with the prices of labour, fuel and repairs it just wasn't enough. I recomend anoyone who is going to make a purchase to think it through. Personally if I had a good operator and was farming your amount of acres I wouldn't even consider it. Sprayers require a lot of upkeep from everything from pumps to nozzles and everything in between including engines, hydros, planetatries, booms tires. Yes you probably can divert some of the money you would towards your purchase that you would normally spend on Custom work but remember, now you have to pay for the fuel, the depreciation, the labour (okay i know farmers never figure that in) all the repairs, haul and pay for your own water and the help to get it to you and most of all be handy with a wrench. It may seem that your applicator is raking you through the coals but, more than likely he has to eat to and I can assure you he is not getting rich at your expense. Custom app is 100 percent write off, too. Talk to your accountant, he will tell you which is the smartest way to go, mine hasn't steered me wrong yet.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

unfortunately if i don't find some ways to cut some cost my accountant is going to tell me to stop farming because i cant afford to do it.. no i don't think i was being raked through the coals i just thought i could save some money.

if i spend 15K on a sprayer it will pay for itself pretty quick. the idea of a direct and 100% write off sounds great but i have found that with farming its more about building equity than it is making money. and with that being said i would prefer to build equity at my house than someone else's. and with paying someone else thats basically all I'm doing... building equity for someone else.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know 15000.00 dollars seems like a good deal, and it probably is. I have never considered iron a good source of equity because as it loses value it eventually will get sold by the pound to the scrap yard. Where that 15000 is not such a good deal is when you buy it and then the engine or something goes and you spend another 15000 on the machine when it is worth only that much. If you have tractors that you use on the farm, I think your cheapest bet would be a good used pull type. Do your two passes with that and hire out the high clearance work. If you do the math you will find that you are money ahead. When a self propelled sprayer is only worth 15000 dollars, someone has already used up the the majority of its life, and when they start to give you grief, man are they a pain. Anyways just some advice from a guy who has been around the business for a while, I wish you luck in your quest.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for the info guys. it'll really help me.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't think a 220 is high enough for pre-harvesting cereals.

I like my 3630 with a Peugot diesel, it is a little underpowered but it light enough to go through a lot of mud and you can do fungicides as well with proper nozzles and slower speeds.
The 4640 and newer all have The more powerful Perkins diesel.
Oliver 88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.