Planting Soybeans with drill with fertilizer? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Planting Soybeans with drill with fertilizer?

Need some advice from the experts. I've got a 3 section hydraulic down pressure Great Plains drill that has dry fertilizer on it. I've always used the fertilizer when planting wheat and it works great. In our soil this drill does a great job planting soybeans but haven't ever put fertilizer on the soybeans. Had some soil samples taken on the soybean ground and the results showed it would be beneficial to put some P and K on. I'm looking at putting around 20 lbs of P and 15 lbs of K according to the samples. My question is would I be safe putting the P & K on with the drill while planting soybeans or am I asking for it? It would make me sick if I burned my seed? Thought I could be safe with only putting on 20 lbs of P but thought maybe someone has some experience with this. We typically don't work the ground before planting and our local agronomist recommended just broadcasting the fertilizer on before seeding. I find better results in wheat anyway applying fertilizer with drill but don't know about soybeans? What's everyone's opinion? Thanks.

Brent
ru4gleaner2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is the fertilizer going down right with the seed? What row spacing? Yield goal? Location?
mbfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfarmer View Post
Is the fertilizer going down right with the seed? What row spacing? Yield goal? Location?
No the fertilizer drops in it's own tube seperate from the seed. I'd say about 3-4 inches behind the seed but it is in the same furrow so everything will be covered together. I sow on 15 inch rows. 7.5 inch spaced drill so I plug every other hole. This is all dryland in South Central Kansas. A sandy mix type soil. It can get hot and dry at times so 30 + bushels is common in this area for dryland. Last fall was abnormal and was a great year for soybeans lots of 40 + yields, that would be nice again.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

So would you be blocking every other fertilizer hole also? "in my opinion" if you were to put that much fertilizer down across the whole planter you would be fine.
mvpfarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

What are you soil tests showing for P and K levels? For 40 bushel soybeans you would be removing 52 lbs. of K2O which is 87 lbs of Potash 0-0-60. And you would be removing 34 lbs. of P2O5 or 74 lbs. of DAP 18-46-0. I used those fertilizers b/c they are the most commonly used in my neck of the woods. I would concentrate more of trying to keep your P levels above 50 and your K levels around 300.
hshfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshfarm View Post
What are you soil tests showing for P and K levels? For 40 bushel soybeans you would be removing 52 lbs. of K2O which is 87 lbs of Potash 0-0-60. And you would be removing 34 lbs. of P2O5 or 74 lbs. of DAP 18-46-0. I used those fertilizers b/c they are the most commonly used in my neck of the woods. I would concentrate more of trying to keep your P levels above 50 and your K levels around 300.
P & K levels are pretty good but I want to try and maintain some. Those same fertilizers are most common here also. K was at about 170 ppm and P was on average 30 ppm. I think you take ppm times 2 to roughly get your lbs per acre. That would be around 340 for K and 60 for P. I'd like to put on a little more but P and K is outrageous right now for price.

What do you think about putting fertilizer down with the seed? Too risky?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

If your goal is to simply save a pass over the field, but are worried about the potential burn, plug the opposite pattern of every other hole, or simply spread it.
tbone95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have never planted soybeans with fertilizer. I guess I have never seen the need to, the only time I use fertilizer in the planter is the starter fertilizer I use with the corn. I know its old school, but I really like its results. It is impossible for you to supplement all the nutrients being taken up by the soybean plant with just putting it on with the drill, so I guess my point is why take the risk. You are going to have to make a trip across the fields spreading your mineral fertilizers anyway. Maybe try some check strips to see if you get a yield advantage.
hshfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.