The Combine Forum banner

Capstan pinpoint vs Hawkeye HD on new John Deere

27K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  Duchek 
#1 ·
Considering buying a new sprayer for next season and like the concept of PWM spraying. Does anyone have experience with both? How do they integrate with the John Deere system for rinse cycles and air purge? What tips are most guys running? Thanks

#2 ·
Can't speak to the two systems overall. Hawkeye is a newer system that operates under the same principles as Pinpoint.

Not sure on the rinse cycles/air purge either. Are you talking those hypro end caps, or a full recirc system?

On the tip side of things, not to toot my own horn, but Wilger tips are usually the best for all PWM systems. Since PWM systems can't use air induction tips, Wilger has 3 series of tips (SR/MR/DR) that have the same levels of drift control (with a few perks on top of that), and are fully compatible with PWM systems. Probably the best advice I could give would be to play around with Tip Wizard (Tip Wizard) if you wanted to take a look at how the PWM (Pinpoint or Hawkeye) would influence the tips you use. Let me know if you have questions about it, as the first time you look at it, there might be a few things you may not be familiar with (i.e. VMD/Droplet Size, Duty cycle and how it relates to pinpoint/hawkeye).

As a whole, depending on where you are located, there is probably a Capstan or Raven rep who could give you some information as well.

#3 ·
If you put Hawkeye on a R4045 its going to require changing all the nozzle bodies over to Wilgers (they come in the kit for install). With the auto rinse cycle you would need to engage either system in a manual mode to spray out. Not sure how the air purge would work unless there is a way to open the solenoids with the pump off.

#7 ·
The Hawkeye hd and pinpoint were both compatible in initial cost (~30,000). And I couldn't find a shining difference between one or the other when I talked with the reps. The Hawkeye used the viper 4 and the capstan used their monitor. From the five minute rundowns I got at the booth the Capstans monitor seemed easier to use. The others difference was the solenoid cost. Neighbor had a few go out on his aim pro (capstan) For some reason so I figured I'd ask what replacement cost was.

#11 ·
Not sure what your referring to, the Case Pinpoint and Pinpoint you would put on a Deere is exactly the same. It didn't used to be because of the way gps signal was shared differently between the two systems.

Going forward its going to be called Aim Command Flex, and its made by Raven. Case cut their contract with Capstan for their AIM system.

#15 ·
Pinpoint is a pig back system in other words it is not intergraded like the hawkeye with the vipe 4 monitor hawkeye system will measure your gals by individual nozzle shut off on your viper with pinpoint the the monitor you have in your cab measures gals by the section size not by individual nozzles

#20 ·
Finally got our Hawkeye system installed on our 4940 last week. I have been spraying with it for the last two days now.

I'm really impressed with how it holds the rate compared to the deere system. Had to fine tune my flow meter cal but now my tank runs empty with my gauge only showing a gallon or two every time. The individual nozzle control and turn compensation works great. There is basically zero lag time with the nozzles turning on and off and nothing dribbling out of them after they shut off. Overall I'm really happy with it and see great potential in it. The only thing I don't like is the viper monitor but I'm a bit bias towards deere. After two days of spraying though it's becoming more familiar. The biggest downfall of the monitor is the way it paints your map. On a deere you can zoom in or out, with the viper you can only change the angle of your view. Don't like how it paints so wide for one pass, think you only get about 2 passes on your screen at one time.

#22 ·
I put a bug in the ear of the top dog at raven at the progress show about not being able to zoom out more on the main screen and showing A B lines he accually was pretty good guy don't know if it will happen but he was interested with the idea.you can touch the screen at the bottom and go to the full field picture and zoom it in and out but it's a pain

#23 ·
I wish they could get it to map on the 2630, even if it only mapped on the full boom. Heard it might be a possibility in the future along with maybe even running the whole system on a 2nd 2630 in the cab. Also there is no good way of checking your nozzles at a stand still. My spraytest won't work but I knew that going into this. They were supposed to have an app for your smart phone so you could check your nozzles. Also I'm still trying to find the place in the monitor where you can see the duty cycle of each nozzle. I know when I'm running lower pressure that I'm getting towards the top end of the duty cycle for the turn compensation to work correctly. I have been slowing down in the corners because of this. I'm only spraying fungicide so it's not a big deal right now. I have actually found myself spraying slower now to. Way more relaxing doing the headland and in between rolling hills when you can slow down 3-4 miles an hour and then still go wide open on straight stretches with no effect on your spray pattern.

#30 ·
Also I'm still trying to find the place in the monitor where you can see the duty cycle of each nozzle. I know when I'm running lower pressure that I'm getting towards the top end of the duty cycle for the turn compensation to work correctly. I have been slowing down in the corners because of this. I'm only spraying fungicide so it's not a big deal right now.
For the interrim, you can use Tip wizard to get your duty cycle for each flow rate of tip. At least you know where your limits are prior to hitting the field.

If you are ending up hitting your 100% duty cycle sooner than tip wizard shows, you might just have plugged filters. Just had a fellow call in with the issue that his AIM system couldn't get up to speed/flow and thought it was either his tips being too small or his system restricting flow, but it ended up being his main filters being plugged up, and reducing his max rate.

#26 ·
Yes, it works that way but that still does not help if you want to get out and walk behind your boom to check nozzles. I guess that's ok if you just have water in your tank.

#28 ·
Just wondering if anybody is using the new air bubble jet nozzles that are made for these pwm systems and how they like them. I'm using those turbo T twin jets. Spraying right now with hardly a wind at all and the droplets are hanging in the air quite a bit. I won't be able to use them in much of a wind. It's ok for fungicide right now but they would drift to much when using a herbicide.

#35 · (Edited)
Here are a few pictures of the raven solenoids, I'm running JD nozzle bodies yet. The last picture was taken this morning. Wanted to to get my last tank full of fuzz spray off so I could start on the canola after it rains today. Guess my drainage ditch was a little to deep.

#36 ·
I think my biggest knock on this would be having anything to do with the Raven Viper 4. I have been told that that they are working on it becoming ISO.
TeeJet also has a PWM system that looks pretty good but don't believe it is available for purchase yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.