The Combine Forum banner

Rate and Use of pursuit in roundup ready soybeans?

6K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  SouthernSK 
#1 ·
We need to spray our soybeans a 2nd time with roundup. The soybeans are around 4 inches high. There is some volunteer canola that is around the 4 leaf stage. I was wondering if I put a 20% rate of pursuit with the roundup will it kill the canola? Do you have to add merge or is the surfactant in the roundup good enough? Has anyone ever done this and will the pursuit hurt the soybeans? Is there any other safe cheaper options to get rid of canola in roundup ready soybeans? Thanks SouthernSK

#3 ·
We either use full rate rate oddesey or viper. With the viper you don't get any residual control though. I think viper with the rebates is around $6.00 an acre.

#6 ·
I just went through this decision with my agronomist and he wisely pointed out to me that using part rates of soil active group 2 herbicides(Odyssey and Pursuit) is a great way to develop resistance. I happen to agree with him that using a part rate of anything is a bad idea and especially in this case.

So because I didn't intentionally plant RR canola alongside my RR soybeans to increase my chances of developing glyphosate resistance...I do not qualify for the $7/acre rebate on Viper.:rolleyes: So I decided to use Solo ADV(hes Merge in it) on my second pass through the soybeans, it was nearly $15/acre. Funny how these RR volunteers are almost NIL in my wheat and ryegrass stubble but on the Invigor canola stubble they are there in moderate numbers... Same history of RR canola on either. Maybe Bayer should be kicking in some rebate for this tank-mix???

Anyways, my advice would be to stay away from the part rate anything and use a non soil active group 2 like Solo or Viper. Maybe you qualify for the rebate. I considered buying some RR canola seed and selling it cheap.

Stupid program from Monsanto/BASF that encourages over-use of two chemical groups that have known resistance...Idiots!:mad:

#9 ·
It yellowed them a bit last year. This year I upped the water to 10 gal/acre to help. Been 2 days now and I would say it stung them a bit but not as bad as last year. Mine were going into third trifoliate and I used the 40 acres/case rate, not aware of any other rate.

#12 ·
Didn't talk to no one actually. The manager at cps where we buy all our chemical mentioned it. We were going to go with oddesey on all our beans but then he mentioned how much cheaper the viper was with the rebate from Monsanto. We only used oddesey on 160 acres where we put beans on RR canola stubble so we would have some residual control. Done that last year and it worked very well. We never had a problem with volunteer canola. The rest of our beans are on wheat stubble or LL canola stubble so we used viper on those acres. I checked them about 5 days after spraying and I was really impressed with how the viper was working.

#10 ·
If you use express at all you can get pinnacle cheap from Dupont but it's hard on beans as far along as yours. It's best to take out the canola first pass When it's easy to kill in my experience. The odd one will come after but the beans choke it out at that point. We used viper this year. Have done reflex on bigger canola with excellent results but you will likely have recropping issues. Solo works but pricey.

#11 ·
"Funny how these RR volunteers are almost NIL in my wheat and ryegrass stubble but on the Invigor canola stubble they are there in moderate numbers... Same history of RR canola on either. Maybe Bayer should be kicking in some rebate for this tank-mix???"
Volunteers after Invigor crop will be rr canola - I "learned" this in years when it seemed profitable to put canola on canola(invigor first, rr 2nd yr). And you wonder why Bayer and Monsanto are just getting together now. Pretty sure we cannot grow beans out here, but getting around that 2 price system on the viper would sure be nice.

#25 ·
I have done 1/3 and 1/2 rate but never on second pass so the canola was always very small. I would bet that if it doesn't kill it it will at least hurt it bad enough you will never see it break the canopy. You won't have the resistance issue like they did in lentils because you will be putting down a litre of roundup as well, which should kill everything but the canola. Also consider 160 acres of rr canola seed will likely get you into the viper program for two more years if they keep it the same. Pursuit can be tough on the beans too especially if your soil is prone to iron chlorosis like ours is. I had an issue last year on a rented field that had lots of rr canola and I had to use flexstar second pass on the beans it worked ok but again some recropping restrictions.

#20 ·
Last year straight Solo with Merge added separate. This year I asked about cutting Merge back a bit but was told going higher on water volume to be a better answer for crop safety. I ended up getting Solo ADV this year which has the Merge already in it. Much easier to just spear a few jugs than mess around with those little pouches I find.

After a few days crop doesn't look as yellow as I remember it being last year, soybeans have a tendency to kind of go yellow about this stage anyways. Some extra stress now with hail/wind/and 4" of rain so I can't say for sure. I figure what doesn't kill them should make them stronger...ha ha.

#21 · (Edited)
I forgot it comes with the merge now. I bought a bunch of the old solo this winter for lentils thinking the price would likly rise on the new formulation. I still have not used the new stuff. Thanks for your help. I will hopefully get them sprayed tomorrow. I am still a little undecided what to do. I do not qualify for the viper program otherwise I would go that way. Most of the field has very little roundup resistant canola in it from three years ago. I just do not know how much to dump into it to get rid of the odd plant. That is why I was originally leaning on the pursuit because of cost.

#24 ·
Yes I know, thanks.

Only time I have grown RR canola in last decade was in 2013, and that was mostly because I put Bayer into detention because of the L150 debacle....:rolleyes: In 2014 it was becoming very apparent that RR soybeans were here to stay in Southern MB and I put an immediate halt to RR canola.

I have cheaped out on herbicides before(half rate Everest and Puma) and it is gonna cost me more in the long run. So now I do what is best for the situation and to avoid future trouble and hopefully it fits into a program after. Last year I ended up buying some Heat and some other product after the fact because doing so would make them more than free because of programming, but that didn't affect my in-field decision making process.

Kind of a love/hate relationship with the rebates, well actually more of a hate.:wink:

SouthernSK I have a couple of fields with the odd plant that I just left alone. Will give me a good reason to go for a long walk later in the season...to pull some canola plants!

#26 ·
Well I sprayed viper on the worst part of the field and some home made oddesey ( reduced rate of solo with 25% rate pursuit on the rest). The viper sure worked fast on the canola and was very sick after day 2. It is too early to say how the oddesey is working. The Basf rep said that oddesey is the easiest on the soybeans followed by viper and solo is the hardest on them. A guy still has to add merge when using solo or oddesey but they said the you can go without the Uan when using viper and roundup together. I still used the Uan but stretched the viper rate by 10% because of too much water in my tank. The solo component in these different combinations is what is hard on the soybeans from what I was told.

#27 ·
Just as a follow up the canola seemed to die both with the viper and oddesey. The viper killed it a lot quicker. With all the moisture we are getting the oddesey will likely give us more residual control if the canola flushes again. The oddesey was a whole lot cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.