John Deere or New Holland 120' sprayers - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
I'm guessing you liked that hagie better then your millar?
Not even a comparison! I loved that thing!

I couldn't believe how it could ride and handle. The booms having a pivot to be free from the sprayer is a total game changer. The suspension appears to have less travel but didn't matter. The booms stay nice and flat on hard corners and don't flop around, very solid. The booms handle so nice and feel totally disconnect from the sprayer

The ergonomics of the cab were really well done, did take me a while to get the hang of the hydro handle but it is way better once you get the hang of it. The back up camera was sweet and visibility with the booms folded was 2:1. The seat is more like a throne! That was awesome!

From a maintenance stand point it looks like it would be very simple, it was very clean and well organized.

The only thing I didn't really like was the walk way could be a hair wider with a few less sharp edges by the boom cradle. Just kinda got to get use to it, I only had to get caught up twice but I haven't forgotten

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw2 View Post
2) I spray a lot of fertilizer on windy days and I think that would make a real mess!
That hasn't been a problem for me, the wheels and tires get pretty sticky but it's nothing close to what you would think, never makes it to the center of the wheels. The rest of the sprayer stays fine.

I think it's mostly because it's so easy to run the booms way down low

God Bless America
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
I for one don't like that they did away with the section switches off to the side on the 4940's. It's a real pain to go into the 2630 to shut them off. Usually causes the screen to lock up and then you need to reboot it. The particulate filter will also give you some grief. Atleast ours has this past year. Usually land up blowing atleast one or two hydraulic hoses per year and then you loose all your oil. If you have hills you won't like the JD auto boom either. I have a Raven system with roll control on ours. Works awesome. Even with all these issues it is still a better sprayer then any other model that Deere made before them.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Our first 4940 gave us a lot of grief, hydraulics hoses gave nothing but trouble, the second one was much better and the 4045s haven't missed a beat.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchek View Post
I for one don't like that they did away with the section switches off to the side on the 4940's. It's a real pain to go into the 2630 to shut them off. Usually causes the screen to lock up and then you need to reboot it. The particulate filter will also give you some grief. Atleast ours has this past year. Usually land up blowing atleast one or two hydraulic hoses per year and then you loose all your oil. If you have hills you won't like the JD auto boom either. I have a Raven system with roll control on ours. Works awesome. Even with all these issues it is still a better sprayer then any other model that Deere made before them.
Duchek make sure you have newer software and never hit Home botton when your in boom section control screen you have to use return arrow. Also tap boom bottons rather slow between taps and it will never lock up again. Also welcome to this handie new feature Deere invented called the battery discount it seems to fix 99.99999% of all software problems for most things but is super annoying but way cheaper then a service call I guess.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
What tank size do you want? 1600 gallon and New Holland or Hagie are your choices. As the newer chemicals need more water every year, I think smaller tanks will start loosing value fast.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
What tank size do you want? 1600 gallon and New Holland or Hagie are your choices. As the newer chemicals need more water every year, I think smaller tanks will start loosing value fast.
I haven't noticed that at all. In fact, if anything I think it's going to go the other way. 10GPA has been the standard for 50 years and with the new nozzle technologies we are all using, it's very apparent that these water volumes are, in many cases are higher than necessary (Glyphosate is the poster child of this). With places like California, with a typically dry climate and HUGE population to support, efficient use of fresh water is becoming more and more of an issue and i can see governments commissioning studies on ACTUAL effective water volumes as well as specific nozzles for each product to get the desired results with the least amount of water used. If anything, I think we will see a move away from high water volumes. Like everything, recommended water volumes on the label are volumes required for worst case scenario, iE marginal weather, poor nozzle choice, poor nozzle condition, ETC. Everything is always (and has to be) geared for success to the lowest common denominator. Thats why we have safety labels warning us not use the hair dryer in the shower.
Transaxial and scottyheps like this.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I haven't noticed that at all. In fact, if anything I think it's going to go the other way. 10GPA has been the standard for 50 years and with the new nozzle technologies we are all using, it's very apparent that these water volumes are, in many cases are higher than necessary (Glyphosate is the p oster child of this). With places like California, with a typically dry climate and HUGE population to support, efficient use of fresh water is becoming more and more of an issue and i can see governments commissioning studies on ACTUAL effective water volumes as well as specific nozzles for each product to get the desired results with the least amount of water used. If anything, I think we will see a move away from high water volumes. Like everything, recommended water volumes on the label are volumes required for worst case scenario, iE marginal weather, poor nozzle choice, poor nozzle condition, ETC. Everything is always (and has to be) geared for success to the lowest common denominator. Thats why we have safety labels warning us not use the hair dryer in the shower.
I can see where your coming from but not to many people will trade down into a smaller sprayer then they currently have. When we went to a 4940 from a 4730 we thought we would increase our water volumes a bit, but we didn't. Even if overnight the chemical companies magically were able to make their chemical work with half the water, I wouldn't want a smaller tank. We gained a big amount of productivity with the larger tank. Especially at night, when you want to blow one more tank out in the dark and aren't going to be filling again.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchek View Post
I can see where your coming from but not to many people will trade down into a smaller sprayer then they currently have. When we went to a 4940 from a 4730 we thought we would increase our water volumes a bit, but we didn't. Even if overnight the chemical companies magically were able to make their chemical work with half the water, I wouldn't want a smaller tank. We gained a big amount of productivity with the larger tank. Especially at night, when you want to blow one more tank out in the dark and aren't going to be filling again.
I don't think it will happen "over night" but, just like a new chemical will not be registered if it has a long half life, I can see the "powers that be" introducing a similar contingent for higher water volumes. As far as tank size, if one is OK with the weight penalty for carrying around 1600 gallons, it sure would be nice to only have to fill half as often assuming that you have mostly large fields (1/2 section or bigger). With most chemicals being sprayed at 5GPA and a country that is surveyed in 1/4 sections, the point of 1200 gallons is lost on me. There ARE times when an extra 200 gallons would be helpful but, in my world, they are rare. 1600 gallons would be the cats meow IF you can abide the compaction that comes along with the weight, not just the extra weight of the product when full but the extra weight built into the machine to carry it which you carry whether you are full or not. I do LOVE the efficiency aspect of the bigger thank, just not sure about al, the added weight associated with it.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Licensed, it sounds like you are still one of the lucky ones where glyphosate is still a useful chemical. Here in Kansas and most corn belt states glyphosate is just a tank mix partner. It won't kill pigweed/amaranth or marestail. We put it in the tank for grass control.

Just about all the other chemicals are coverage chemicals. Liberty label wants 15 gallon minimum, and works better with 20 or 25. Cobra is about the same.

ksbeanfarmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page