John Deere or New Holland 120' sprayers - Page 3 - The Combine Forum

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Garage
Even weathermax they are pushing 15 GPA, but we have to take into account the climate differences between their and here. I've never sprayed anything under 10 GPA but I hear our northern neighbors say 5 even 2 GPA.

Your right bent glyphosate is all but useless here, in fact I won't spray any except for cover crop termination. Now we get to battle Palmer amaranth as the NRCS introduced it into our county in a "native habitat seed". Idiots.

SWFarmService likes this.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
thanks for all the input so far.... most everything else on the farm is green already so likely headed that direction with the sprayer too.....

as to water volume, well LTK is speaking like a true custom operator!!!! I have never looked a at field yet and said "****, why did I put on so much water". fungicides and dessicants need lots. I have been doing herbicides at 6 or 10 depending on product and 10-12.5 for fungicides, a bigger unit will let me get up 15, on stuff like fuzz should give that little bit extra coverage, ditto for reglone / heat.

I am amazed at people that still talk about low water volumes and glyphosate. I have seen 3 gpa work quite well but 24D and express are the only tank mix partners that will work at that low a rate. the higher glyphos rates we are now using conteract the tie up problems we used to have with the really low rates we were using 10 years ago - there are now 2-3x more chem in the water so can also have twice as much water without an issue as well. and conditioners help a lot as well.

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Good thread. I had allot of the same questions. We are looking at upgrading sprayer for this next year as well, and will be looking at JD 4930/4940 as well. I've talked to several operators of the 4930's and they are quite happy with the sprayer and can save a fair bit of money over the 4940. We've ran a JD 4710 for the last 10 years and nothing but good things to say about it, just would like more water volume, less fills when doing fungicides which we are doing more of each year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I agree with above posts, all fungicides get at least 12.5 gallons and most herbicides between 8 and 10 gallons others than glyphosate. Water is cheap and coverage is important, good luck with your sprayer purchase.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw2 View Post

as to water volume, well LTK is speaking like a true custom operator!!!! I have never looked a at field yet and said "****, why did I put on so much water". fungicides and dessicants need lots. I have been doing herbicides at 6 or 10 depending on product and 10-12.5 for fungicides, a bigger unit will let me get up 15, on stuff like fuzz should give that little bit extra coverage, ditto for reglone / heat.

I am amazed at people that still talk about low water volumes and glyphosate. I have seen 3 gpa work quite well but 24D and express are the only tank mix partners that will work at that low a rate. the higher glyphos rates we are now using conteract the tie up problems we used to have with the really low rates we were using 10 years ago - there are now 2-3x more chem in the water so can also have twice as much water without an issue as well. and conditioners help a lot as well.
The reason I speak like a true custom operator is because I AM a true custom operator and as such I have considerably more ACTUAL experience than the vast majority of farmers that only do their own. By "experience" I'm not talking about shear volume of acres. The number of acres one has sprayed has limited effect on actual "experience" if they have all been done the SAME way which most (not all) farmers do. They find something that is comfortable and works for them, (10 GPA for instance) and they just spray that way their entire farming career. Nothing wrong with that at all, it just limits their experience to ONLY spraying at 10GPA. As a custom operator, I spray the way the customer requests (within reason). Some insist on 2GPA some insist on 10 GPA, most are somewhere in between for most products so i get first hand experience in the effectiveness of many application variations. I have sprayed, under protest, a few times in conditions that I felt were not conducive to a favourable outcome and was proven wrong. I have also been shut down by a customer with weather concerns that I knew were unfounded but, if the customer says stop, I stop. It's his field and his money so it's ALWAYS his call. As far as water volumes goes, I could care less if a customer wants more water. Makes ZERO difference to me (although my wife prefers that i don't spray 10 GPA all day LOL). I have suggested that a customer reduce his requested water rates and I have suggested that a customer increase his requested water rates with explanation as to why I am making the suggestion but it's only a suggestion and, unless I feel that the requested rate will be detrimental to the effectiveness, I still leave it up to him. Fact is, however, that most of my customers leave things like water rates up to me because they know i will do what's in their best interest every time. Regarding tank size, it seems to me that the higher water volumes one wants to spray, the less value there is in 1200 gal over 1000 gal as it does not add up to many extra acres for all the extra weight but that also depend entirely on average field size. 1600 gal would be VERY nice and IMO, is a number that makes sense, again, if you can abide the increased compaction however, the point I was trying to make is that we may see a reduction in required water volumes in an effort to conserve water, starting in places like california for reasons I mentioned earlier. People tend to waste things when they are relatively cheap, often in the name of "being on the safe side" rather than bothering to be efficient. An example is insecticides. They are relatively cheap and some guys "throw it in" as a matter of practice to "be on the safe side" (matador in first pass canola is a prime example). Another example is seeding canola. How many people INSISTED that you had to seed canola at 6 pounds per acre back when seed was <$2lb and how many still insist on 6pounds now that it is "somewhat" more expensive?.
scottyheps likes this.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I don't think it will happen "over night" but, just like a new chemical will not be registered if it has a long half life, I can see the "powers that be" introducing a similar contingent for higherk water volumes. As far as tank size, if one is OK with the weight penalty for carrying around 1600 gallons, it sure would be nice to only have to fill half as often assuming that you have mostly large fields (1/2 section or bigger). With most chemicals being sprayed at 5GPA and a country that is surveyed in 1/4 sections, the point of 1200 gallons is lost on me. There ARE times when an extra 200 gallons would be helpful but, in my world, they are rare. 1600 gallons would be the cats meow IF you can abide the compaction that comes along with the weight, not just the extra weight of the product when full but the extra weight built into the machine to carry it which you carry whether you are full or not. I do LOVE the efficiency aspect of the bigger thank, just not sure about al, the added weight associated with it.
It would be nice to have the luxury to spray full square quarter sections or multiples of them. Around our way we don't get that. Our field sizes vary from a low of 60 acres to 475 acres. Some of these fields are a mile and a half off any road. That is where a big tank is nice. You can spray your way on a headland across the first stuff till you find the only spot in the bush you can cross to get into the far stuff, spray that quarter, then cross back and continue on the previous headland and spray your way back to the water truck. I find with the bigger tank that we don't have to move the water trailer to every field. We have enough water for 1250 acres on the truck. So in the morning we will spot the truck wherever we are spraying, then I always leave with the sprayer full and go to the furthest field from the truck and start working back towards the semi. Usually we land up driving a few miles back to the water truck for the first couple fills and after that you only a mile or under for the last 3 fills. This way I don't need anyone sitting in the truck all day. Actually the only time we have somebody in the truck moving it is when we are fungiciding.
Licensed to kill likes this.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.

Last edited by Duchek; 12-24-2016 at 10:32 AM.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR1 View Post
Good thread. I had allot of the same questions. We are looking at upgrading sprayer for this next year as well, and will be looking at JD 4930/4940 as well. I've talked to several operators of the 4930's and they are quite happy with the sprayer and can save a fair bit of money over the 4940. We've ran a JD 4710 for the last 10 years and nothing but good things to say about it, just would like more water volume, less fills when doing fungicides which we are doing more of each year.
I couldn't agree more. There are few things that stress me out more than the tracks made at the entrance due to extra trips to the water truck. However, comparing 1000gal to 1200 @ 10GPA is 100 acres vs 120 acres. Your average field size will dictate whether or not there is any REAL advantage to the extra 20 acres capacity (in this case). MOST fields around here are in 150-160 acre increments and as such, an extra 20 acre capacity will not reduce refills at all. Of course there ARE some 110-120 and 220-240 acre field sizes but they are rare but that is HERE. It may be different where you farm. I have a friend that is a custom applicator in Ontario and his AVERAGE field size is 40 acres and he sprays virtually NOTHING under 10GPA, most is at 15-20 and as high as 40GPA. The higher the water volume, the less advantageous an extra 200 gallons becomes. Just do the math on your own farm based on your OWN field sizes and water volumes to see how much or IF 1200 gallons (as opposed to 1000) REALLY saves you fills or not. 1200 gallons may be perfect for your farm or it may not save you anything in which case you can decide to add 1000gal sprayers to your shopping list or drop the 1200 gal units in favour of 1600 gal units. Just a thought.
Transaxial likes this.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchek View Post
It would be nice to have the luxury to spray full square quarter sections or multiples of them. Around our way we don't get that. Our field sizes vary from a low of 60 acres to 475 acres. Some of these fields are a mile and a half off any road. That is where a big tank is nice. You can spray your way on a headland across the first stuff till you find the only spot in the bush you can cross to get into the far stuff, spray that quarter, then cross back and continue on the previous headland and spray your way back to the water truck. I find with the bigger tank that we don't have to move the water trailer to every field. We have enough water for 1250 acres on the truck. So in the morning we will spot the truck wherever we are spraying, then I always leave with the sprayer full and go to the furthest field from the truck and start working back towards the semi. Usually we land up driving a few miles back to the water truck for the first couple fills and after that you only a mile or under for the last 3 fills. This way I don't need anyone sitting in the truck all day. Actually the only time we have somebody in the truck moving it is when we are fungiciding.
Is it safe to assume that 1250 acre water capacity is NOT at >10GPA?
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Is it safe to assume that 1250 acre water capacity is NOT at >10GPA?
Yes, we have about 6000 gallons on our trailer. Usually spray anywhere from 4.7 to 5.2 for the most part depending on field size. We do our liberty from 9-10 gpa, fungicide from 10-15.
Licensed to kill likes this.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchek View Post
Yes, we have about 6000 gallons on our trailer. Usually spray anywhere from 4.7 to 5.2 for the most part depending on field size. We do our liberty from 9-10 gpa, fungicide from 10-15.
Nice. Your previous post shows clearly the importance of using the required water rate rather than an unnecessarily high rate "just to be on the safe side". What advantage would there be for you to spray everything at a 10GPA minimum???. A lot of extra hours on you machine (and operator) for??????. Every farm in unique, especially when it comes to field size/configuration and that plays a huge role in choosing the RIGHT sprayer for ones operation. Bigger isn't always better but, in some cases biggest is best. There is a reason sprayers (like everything else) are made in different capacities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page