Toxins and Fuzz - The Combine Forum

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Toxins and Fuzz

Deoxynivalenol (DON), commonly referred to as vomitoxin, is a mycotoxin that may be produced in wheat and barley grain infected by Fusarium head blight or scab. Fusarium head blight may infect grain heads when wet weather occurs during the flowering and grain filling stages of plant development. DON causes feed refusal and poor weight gain in some livestock if fed above advised levels.

Human food products are restricted to a 1-ppm level established by the FDA. This level is considered safe for human consumption. The food industry often sets standards that are more restrictive.
Moist ozone is able to remove 90 percent of the toxin, while dry ozone is capable of removing 70 percent of the toxin [1]. Other studies indicate total DON removal using ozone [2]. The study indicates that there is no change in properties before or after ozonation.
DON will not be killed by temperature, being resistant to heat in the range of 170 C- 350 C[3]. Therefore frying, boiling or cooking the wheat, corn, or contaminated peanut will not be helpful. Spraying grain with chemicals can be harmful to the product, as the grain may absorb some of the chemicals. Ozone provides a safe alternative for disinfecting grains and peanuts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Is ozone a product?

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in the mud View Post
Is ozone a product?
I have a friend that is suppose to be trying this. Renting some kind of machine and pumping ozone through the bin.

Brent.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
ozone layer, part of atmosphere
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Ozone = "trioxygen", O3. So, yeah, I guess it can be a "product".

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If your friend is able to reduce the don levels enough and patent it he'll be a very rich man. Hope it can be done on farm so the elavator dont get another thing to gouge us on and increase the value of our grain for share holders.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I'm in the process of getting some seed cleaned on the farm, mustard, lentils & durum. I called the local feed pellet plant and asked if they minded if mixed in the yellow mustard screenings, as they can be harmful to cattle, they didn't care but they wanted my durum screening separate and tested for a new (name escapes me) toxin. Not vomitoxin but something they say is 50 times worse.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Be sure to post the results if this is tried. Ozone treatment is pretty common here anymore in potato storage. There is a company in Aberdeen Idaho called O3 Zone that builds ozone generators, been doing it since the mid 90's. The best results seem to come from a 2 fold application. The first is going into storage; a metal hood is mounted on top of a conveyor belt leading into the cellar. The "fog" is pumped into this hood. The second stage is after the storage is full, O3 is pumped into the ventilation system. I would think something similar would have the best chance of success with grain. Pump the ozone into the auger going into storage, and then again through the air system. While you're at it, you could try spraying a mist of hydrogen peroxide into the auger also.

This has been talked about here for grain, but the people with Ph.D's and supposedly lots of smartitudes, say that while it would kill the organism, it wouldn't help with the exudates from fusarium-DON. It was explained to me like this, if you have a pen full of cattle that needs to be completely cleaned out, it's easy to clear out the cattle, but the manure is much harder to get rid of.

I've about decided though that university researchers aren't interested in doing research that doesn't involve a big grant from a chemical company.

Cautionary tale,
I worked for a large potato seed grower in the 90's. He bought a ozone generator to help with dry rot (also caused by a fusarium). In the front of one the storages was where we kept the spare tires and tubes. After being treated with ozone all winter the rubber rotted. The tubes were so brittle you could break them with your hands, and the truck tires would split trying to mount them. Expensive lesson.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
All you need is a spark and a fan to produce ozone. An aeration fan and a large neon transformer are all that is required. Not much to patent.

Wheat flour properties actually improved after treatment, malt properties not changed although were completely free of infection and molds.

Makes we wonder if we shouldn't be doing this to every kernel we seed.
shmiffy likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
I have a friend that is suppose to be trying this. Renting some kind of machine and pumping ozone through the bin.
It was unsuccessful last I talked to him. Too good to be true.

bjtjjl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page