Sprayer storage and spring prep - The Combine Forum

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Sprayer storage and spring prep

Just wondering how most people store there sprayer and what they do to prepare to use them in the spring I'm a bit lazy I just left about 10-20 gals of water in ours when I parked it and need to go look what I need to do to service it for burndown but what about everyone up north

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
We blow all the water out of all the lines and boom segments, drain the tanks, put a bit of antifreeze in the foam marker. In the spring it's just a matter of greasing all the joints, checkign wheel bearings, adding water, and pressuring everything up to check for leaks and also to check nozzle calibration.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Garage
This is an excellent case for need of location.

You park a sprayer here with 10-20 gallons of water in it you best get it in the shop early this spring because all your plumbing is now crap.
ksbeanfarmer, Snipe, SWMan and 3 others like this.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
That is very true I'm down in southern Florida and about 2 weeks from planting corn but I was just curious what other people had to do with there sprayers it's supposed to be the coldest I have seen all year here this weekend and they are only saying it will only get down to 50f so no worry's about freezing
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
This is an excellent case for need of location.

You park a sprayer here with 10-20 gallons of water in it you best get it in the shop early this spring because all your plumbing is now crap.
Yeah I thought of that as I posted... I was thinking what sort of person leaves water in the sprayer tank come winter! Definitely all the lines would be busted around here. And come spring I'll figure out what lines I forgot about.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Sprayer storage for me is winterizing the sprayer with antifreeze good to -40F (-40C) and taking the tips and monitors off the sprayer. Prep is putting everthing back together and spraying 200 gal of water then clean the main strainers of the liquid system. I've seen too many mistakes by not taking time to just spray a couple hundred gallons of water out.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I drain everything including pump, keep drain valves open, main filters pulled and unscrewed, try to remember tips and screens. I don't put antifreeze in, maybe should. Spring time I run a hundred gallons or so thru with only main filters and tips/screens pulled. Will then clean out main filters and repeat with tips/screens. One time I had put all filters/tips/screens in prior to running water thru to test. Got about half way thru the first field and every tip/screen plugged up. Wasn't a situation I care to repeat.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
even in warm areas I would drain the water and put pump antifreeze or some similar compound in if the sprayer was going to be sitting for a while.
would keep dissolved solids in the water from settling out and plugging all the screens and corroding the pump. also helps keep the pumps seals fresh. much better at keeping everything ready for next year than draining we have found.......
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
On or old sprayer ( a willmar ) we would blow all the water out of the system with a 130 cfm compressor . But now with a case my brther says that the only way is to put $300.00 worth of antifreeze in it -- I call B.S. but it is new to us -- haven't even sprayed an acre yet so guess it is good to be on the safe side . But on the willmar it had an ace hydraulic pump with a cast impellor and I guess from the previous owner leaving water in it the impellor had rotted away and was vibrating so bad it took out the seal and bearings . Put a plastic one back in but goes to show all about maintenance !!

Last edited by marshall; 01-12-2017 at 07:29 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I drain tank,filters,pump,lines and leave screens and tips on folded up so deer don't rub on booms and nozzles..the first time that happened I thought I had done poor job of draining l booms ..then it clicked in what happened...in spring I pump 50-100 gal threw and then clean nozzle screens and grease machine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page