Tillage operation to kill thistles and moon stage - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tillage operation to kill thistles and moon stage

It looks like this fall we have a few fields that are gonna have to be worked to smooth out the ruts from this spring. Years ago I remember hearing that if you cultivate the land in time with a moon stage you may actually kill the thistles. ie: two days before or two days after a new moon

I have sprayed the fields with gly. so the thistles should be done, but seeing how I'm gonna be workin it , I thought I might try the moonstage trick.

any Thoughts.
woodytr99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Never heard of the moon stage, have seen patches killed just before/during freeze up.
If you already sprayed the patches, chances are you will not have any additional effectiveness with tillage. Tillage isn't going to hurt the control, but you already shut the plants down.
There is alot of tillage going on in my area to help eliminate ruts from the last couple years.
SKfarming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default full moon

I was told if you go out and pull thistle during a full moon, you will pull up most of the root with it, I heard this several times over this summer by the older retired folks in town. I don't know if it works but i had to cultivate one field i had a lot of thistle going into rosette stage preparing for the winter, only way to get rid of them besides spraying.
Combine Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Which kind of thistle are we talking about. Different thistles require different control methods.
RM-MN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
tmk

My dad has told me about this when Glysophate was not available or way over priced . I may be wrong but you are to till on a full moon as the gravitational pull of the moon '' pulls '' the nutrients up in the plant thus depriveing the root of nutreints .
On a new moon you should spray the reason being the flow of nutrients flows more readily to the root thus allowing the herbicide to get deep into the root zone .
Some may think that this is a load of B.S. but when the moon can move the earths oceans there is bound to be something valid to this . I have heard of one large farm years back that they would park the combines for a day or two to work their summerfallow when the moon was at the right phase with good success with their thistle control .
tmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think they were talking about Canada Thistle.
Combine Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

I guess I'm not a stars lined up, moon in the right place to do a job kind of guy.
Yes, the moon has a large gravitational pull on the earths water bodies. So possibly there is a very small difference within a plant as to how fast the liquids are flowing in the xylem and phloem. This cycle would effect the plant everyday. Really can't see it making that much difference.
Daylight lenght and changes within a plant after a light frost have more to do with the effectiveness of control than the shape of the moon IMO.
SKfarming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Have never heard anyone ever speak of any connection between the moon and killing Canadian thistles...ever...and I know quite a few older folks who believe a lot about the moon effecting things.

What I do know is that if you cut them about a foot off the ground when they are in early bud or later and time it just right before a heavy down pour, you can kill them that way. When water collects inside the stalk, it causes mold to grow inside of it and ultimately it leads to the death of the plant. They must be cut with a sickle machine like a swather. A gyro mower or a discbine wont work because they crush the lower part of the stem and don't leave it open to collect the water. I have done this with varying amounts of success several times on pasture land. The timing is everything and not that easy to run and go cut thistles everytime a thunder storm is looming
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.