The Combine Forum banner

John Deere vs. Case sprayers

53K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  Nitro 1 
#1 ·
I'm a commercial applicator and I've only ran deere sprayers. I've ran a 4920, 4720, 4930, and 4830. Today I learned that I'll be getting a Case IH 4430 with 120' booms and aim command in about 2 weeks. I was hoping someone who has ran both types could let me know some of the pluses and minuses they've noticed. We do have a case 4420 out our location but it has had bunch of problems since day one that they haven't gotten figured out yet that it's left me a little gunshy about Case sprayers which is sad to say after growing up with case equiment on the farm. Look forward to your replies!

#2 ·
I dont know about the case or deere, but i would recomend considering you drop your speed all the time due to those 120s. Well if you want them to last.
Who ever bought the sprayer your running, if the early case was a pile, why would the next one ne anydifferent.. i am not a fan of the aim command system, but i am sure you can spray without it.

When i was at our coop.. rhey ran them.. good weight balance. It takes some getting used to not neing able to see the tires anymore.

I would say, if its broke down.. first day, figure out how tp shut off the aim comand. But use it till it ****s, you might like it, but its just for drift... which isnt that big of a deal with any machine.

#3 ·
i ran a 3330 last year hated the aim comand i would turn it off every time there will be guys on here that love it but for me i hated it i would think case put that sprayer in there for little cash to prove there sprayer do work better than the jd i know they are better balanced than the jd for sure

#4 ·
Im on my third case and this is my second with aim command. It is an awesome system that I wouldn't spray without after having both. My current machine is a 2010 4420 with 120ft boom and this one has the pro 600 trimble setup. Quiet machine to run, very productive, and user friendly once you run it for a few days. It's the only red equipment on the farm but I wouldnt trade it for anything else I have seen yet

#6 ·
Im on my third case and this is my second with aim command. It is an awesome system Please explane furthe why is it an AWESOME system ?? that I wouldn't spray without after having both What systems have you run other than Case/aim what type of nozzle setups ?. My current machine is a 2010 4420 with 120ft boom and this one has the pro 600 trimble setup. Quiet machine to run, very productive, and user friendly once you run it for a few days. It's the only red equipment on the farm but I wouldnt trade it for anything else I have seen yet
Just a coupple of questions because i have looked at AIM/sharpshooter/pulsating nozzle controle and think it has a significant drawback ?

#7 ·
This will be our fifth year running a 3320. It has been a great sprayer, my favorite piece of equipment on the farm. Over 1200 hours we have had to change a boom section ball valve and one nozzle solenoid. That is literally the only repairs we have ever made on it. Tested a deere and it was all right. I think it rode a bit smoother but really really didnt like the noisy cab and i found some of the controls to be needlessly complicated. My next sprayer will almost certainly be another case, although ive been begging the local nh dealer to bring a front boom over for a test. I really want to try one of those out

#9 ·
This is my 2 cents worth, i have only run trailled sprayers before our '08 4420 case with aim, cant speak highly enough of it, the aim system allows you to slow down or speed up during the same tank without losing pattern, rate per hectare etc, change pressure on the go for different droplet size without altering rate, drift control is great. I honestly havent had any problems with it, its been faultless. cab is quiet, well balanced, booms are strong, no cracking issues, i'm just praising the case sprayers & not bagging other colours, never used them so cant comment on them, the 4420 does everything that i expect it to so i will definitely buy another one, each to their own really. I recently saw in a magazine that the case was awarded best overall sprayer in the US

#11 ·
I ran a Case 4260 for four years and then a 3330 for a year before going to a JD 4830. If it wasn't for crappy dealer support, I'd have never given up the 3330. I absolutely loved it. The quietest machine out there, hands down. Outstanding ride considering where your seat placement is. For those of you saying it's weird not seeing your wheels, it kind of is, but then again, you shouldn't be looking at your wheels when you're spraying, so....... As far as AIM Command, I wish I could put it on my Deere. I could change pressure on the fly, always had constant pressure/rate/flow regardless of speed. My accuracy was spot on. I had perfect flow in the corners. Plus, they rarely break off (even when hitting trees, which I do). If one ever does break, you can change it out as fast or faster than a standard nozzle body because of the quick clips. The only suggestion I would make is to take the nozzle screens out (AIM runs a double set of nozzle body screens that are WAAAAAAY too fine and plug). Also, you can run 28 or 32% through the new AIM solenoids as they are plastic coated to protect the metal components.

Just my 2 cents, but I feel you'll find it to be a superior machine than the Deere in about every facet.

#13 ·
Those small screens that are located right at the nozzles are supposed to come out after you have sprayed your first couple thousand acres. They are just there to protect the aim modules when you are first breaking in the machine. On 120 foot boom I only have 3 filters to clean, takes about 10 minutes

#15 ·
While I believe the aim command is an intriguing system, I'm not sure why it has more drift as you say than a conventional sprayer nozzle. I've seen them and used them on the field and drift control is one of their strong points provided that you have the right nozzle and have selected a lower desired pressure. Still when it comes to simplicity, I would opt for set of variable rate nozzles, not as good drift wise but a heck of a lot simpler.

#16 ·
We love our 3330! Of all our machinery it's the one machine we really love. AIM let's us us slow down when going through ditches or over rougher ground then speed up in good mile runs I'm talking 6-18 mph with constant pressure and droplet size then shut pressure down to spray next to neighbors crop! All sprayers have good points and bad points my opinion is aim gives the patriot an advantage. We also like the weight balance of the machine with the 120' boom. I'm interested to see what tier 4 3330 will have for power I hope it gets a good bump because it could use more power!

#19 ·
mark 1056 Unless you have Sharpshooter on your machine you better check your pressure gauge or your rate controller out because you would have 80 lbs differance in pressure to vary the speed that much.We have had Sp Sprayers since the 80's tried ever tip out that is made I am sure,but switched over to Sharpshooter and wont go back,and no nitro xr tips are not the only ones you can use.

#24 ·
Hey nitro the whole point of the aim system is so you dont need to use air induction nozzles, why not be constructive with your comments instead of bagging the guys that have genuinely had a great run with aim. The original question was the difference between case & john deere sprayers, guys have given their experiences for both so why do you bag them? Sounds like you're grumpy because your brand wasnt included:D

#26 ·
Back to the question at hand. I have run a Deere 4730 and now have a case 3230.
Deere was a very good machine. Probably had a little better ride especially with the skinny tires. With the float tires both machines ride good. Case is definitely a lot quieter, not that the Deere was horrible just louder than the case. I would say that the Deere had a little more power but not a huge difference. I found the Deere was easier to load on the trailer. Seemed like the hydro was easier to control.

I do have aim and I do like it. I wasn't sure if it was really needed but after I demoed a machine with it I was sold. That's all I will say about aim.

My Deere had the gs2 in it. The case has the pro600. Both autosteer systems are very good. Haven't had any issues with either. I did find that I liked the apex (deere)software a little better for printing maps and such. Maybe just personal preference.

I think that the case was a little better on fuel. Not a bunch better but a little. The case was a lot nicer to fuel up because of fuel tank location. The Deere I had did not have a ladder to get up the fuel filler but I think the newer ones do.

I would say that all in all I do like the case a little better. That being said I have grown up around red equipment so maybe slightly biased there.

I have not run a 44 series case but I do like the cab on the 32/3330 sprayers better than the 4420. Also I can't comment on the 120 ft boom. Only have the 100ft. Haven't had any issues with it.

Hope this helps.

#28 ·
How come if Nitro 1 dose not have a product its no good, AIMs and DCI are all worthy products that may or may not work for me. It would be nice to here from people that have/use some of this equipment with out some BTO bagging them out and telling them to get a Nitro. Seems a Nitro dose not have AIMs/sharp shotter or DCI you just get a big neddle with a Nitro red in the bum.

As for Nitros been the best thing ever, I know a spray contractor with one, he has/had it for sale and going and bought a old Hino spray truck. To quote him [the Nitro is going to send me broke, have some big bills to pay due to it]. This is a older Nitro and he has had alote of issues.

Madsnake

#36 ·
Interested to know what problems you are having with the 4420????

I have only demoed a 4420, 4930 and a 4940, so here is my take on the three. If those three sprayers were sitting in a yard and I had to go spraying I would head to the 4420 first, then the 4940, and if some spraying really needed doing and the 4930 was the only one left, I think I would wait for one of the other two to get back. Maybe I had a bad demo on the 4930, but I hated it, there are some changes on the 4940 that make it a fair bit better, but I also didn't spend much time in it to get a good feel for the sprayer. As far as reliability, from what I have observed, I would say they are both acceptable, and good(still would like to know what problems you are having). My case salesman told me there are some very minor changes between the 4420 and 30, so I am assuming they would be the same, but have to add DEF to the 30. As far as AIM, I think it is .....easy, that's what most people like about it IMO, and from what I have seen, the system is reliable. As far as drift control, it is second place to an AI nozzle.

#41 ·
Our dealer has lots of patriots out now 99% of them have aim and they sell lots of apaches with sharpshooter too! Everybody I talk too loves it apart from a couple of guys who have bought used sprayers that maybe not cleaned very well or not maintained. If you don't like something right away you usually don't ever like it! A viper monitor can't make a regular nozzle work better than a old raven monitor. The pressure has to fall as your speed falls! If gator can do that without aim I would be very interested

#42 ·
I think it comes down to this, I'm sure AIM works great but, hmmm let me see, 74 solenoids and plungers, hundreds of feet of wire, corrosive chemicals and fertilizer concentrated in the area where all this resides equals bad long term life expectancy. Great concept but major maintenence once you get over 3000 hours.:(

#46 ·
This has some serious merit to it , when dealing with chemicals / corrosion / etc. If you've ever sprayed Gramoxone Inteon (Paraquat) and know how corrosive it is as well as just overall nasty, would you want that all over your sprayer? Also do you really want to drive in that tank mix all day and have it all over everything including your air inlet filter, which also leads me to another question...

Where do they draw the air from for the cab system? What kind of filter is protecting it?

#47 ·
The air inlet is under the roof edges where most cabs draw in the air.Through the charcoal filter and your good.I put 800 hrs a year on and have never chaged a filter in season yet in 3200 hrs.I do spray paraquat as well as a lot of 28%.I put on a new pair of latex gloves when I go to get out and throw them away before entering the cab.I use about 2 boxes of gloves a week.90% of the spray stayes below the machine unless later on doing tall crops.Then you just wash off at the end of the day.I will use 2 windshield wipers a year since the rubber does not like headline.
My next machine will be another Nitro.Way too many pluses for our operation and terrain we work in.With the vegetables we do a Deere would be the only other machine that could work.Boom folding and wheel width changes are a huge decidsing factor for me.

#49 ·
I can get into my Nitro without my hands or clothing touching anything but the door latch on good days. Other days I have to use the handrail a couple of times. Compare this to the Rogators. The operator is usually wearing a big patch of dirt off the boom by the time he climbs into the cab a dozen times a day.

As far as the Nitro cab, its just a Deere combine cab with a charcoal filter.

#50 ·
Thanks for the answers on the filter question. I asked about getting on the sprayer as the only real reason we spray Gramaxone here is to kill volunteer corn (cheaper for us vs. other options in no till) so our boom has to be relatively high to get good coverage across the whole plant, so in that thinking the boom would have to be a little higher than normal.

#53 ·
If your getting product through your air intake your doing somthing wrong. Sprayed plenty of nastys and no dramas or though we do wash/flood the machine down every day. No corrosion well none out of the ordanary anyway. Of course we do use AI nozzles which help heaps with drift unlike XR's or TT's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.