Touch down wheels - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
THD

Default Touch down wheels

Has anyone added a set of touch down wheels to their sprayer? I have a lot of rolly hills, and sometime just can't look left and right at the same time! I don't honestly know if a boom height system would really be accurate enough-plus I don't care for the cost involved for such an add-on. I just don't like cultivating with the outside nozzles Any system work better than another? I was thinking of just making my own version and adding a set of shocks but don't know if thats even necessary.

Thanks
THD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

We bought a 4650 spra coupe this year and it has come with touchdown wheels on the boom. Never had them before and I always thought they were a bit unnecessary, just extra weight etc. but they are great and make spraying in undulating country much easier. Probably saved a couple hundred bucks on nozzles/bodies etc already. They are very simple just a wheelbarrow type wheel and a small spring. The spring only really does anything when it hits hard but i'd say it is necessary.
WillStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

My boom ends see a lot of dirt. I would love to see a picture of those touchdown wheels. Do you think they're homemade or store bought?
peacefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Has anyone added a set of touch down wheels to their sprayer? I have a lot of rolly hills, and sometime just can't look left and right at the same time! I don't honestly know if a boom height system would really be accurate enough-plus I don't care for the cost involved for such an add-on. I just don't like cultivating with the outside nozzles Any system work better than another? I was thinking of just making my own version and adding a set of shocks but don't know if thats even necessary.

Thanks
Most of the active auto controls will require them to be "programmed" or otherwise built and calibrated to your booms.

I tryed to buy a raven auto boom height system, and they would not sell it to me stating that they have to have my booms at their test facility to do all kinds of weight and leverage tests, which are required for their systems to work properly. I can understand that, as those auto controls do need to be calibrated for the weight and speed that they need to operate at.

I then bought a large pt sprayer with a norac system on it, but was going to do some boom mods, so I sold the norac. The purchaser had a boom brand that was on file at norac, and only needed to know the model and serial of the system and the machine it was coming off of. That way a norac tech could do whatever adjusting and calibrating needed. So far, the purchaser seems happy and I am that I got money for it.

If your machine is a name brand and the booms are a common size and model, you might be able to find a used auto height system. One thing that the previous owner of my redball said, when I asked about the one repair done to it, was that he forgot to turn off the controller at a point row where the left boom went over a drain ditch. The sensor told the boom to go down,......it did,.....right into the ditch. He got stopped before any real damage was done, but did have to weld a broken bracket back on.

As far as touch down wheels, of course you want to keep the weight as low as possible, but all the same, if it hits the dirt and folds,................. I will now need to install wheels on my booms and will likely run something large diameter to reduce the rearward pull on the boom hinge and break away when they hit the soil.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

i have them on mine but its part of the auto boom height system but i think they are pretty handy
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

The booms on my sprayer have a piece of flat metal made into a rounded loop to keep the nozzles out of the dirt. Nothing fancy, no auto height controls on this one. Sometimes the end of the boom just touches the dirt, sometimes it hits fairly hard and then it swings back but I don't break anything. Sometimes I think about putting a wheel at each end just so the boom wouldn't fold back.
RM-MN is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

We have worked on a couple sprayers that guys put a c tine (like off a culimulcher or drag) on the end of the boom. I guess you would say it facing up. It has spring to it, its tough, light, and simple.
jd4320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

While not technically home made (palombo industries boom). Any one could knock these up in a weekend. They're pretty basic

Last edited by WillStanton; 06-01-2012 at 12:35 AM.
WillStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.