Soybean fertilizer - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Soybean fertilizer

I have low phosphate levels in some fields and I'm trying to decide on a soybean fertility sytem and my choices are (I think) straight S15 in the seed row or a blend of 11 52 and amm sulf side banded. I went all the way up to 180 lbs in the trench with s15 this spring and had great results at the high rates . I also overlapped a bean field 6 acres with 150 units of N by mistake and had a lot of fun watching that patch of beans. The 6 acre patch yielded 58 bushels per acre and the adjacent crop yielded 46 bushels per acre . It canopied weeks ahead of the rest of the field and flowered longer but curiously was ready to harvest at the same time. It has me thinking about some N in a side band but with three tanks I have only one for fert so it has to be a blend. Obviously one year means very little and the rate I used is prohibitively high so I am looking for any info or feedback on the concept of N on beans in general. We had an extremely wet June here and the 35 acres I used the high rate s15 on and that 6 acres with all the N on it grew through the wet like it wasn't there where many other fields struggled for 2 or 3 weeks before they showed any kind of dark green color and made strides toward a full canopy. I would appreciate any feedback links or information. THANKS
wetfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Und did a bunch of studies on adding n and all came back with no economic benefit. I'm surprised you got away with that much fertilizer in trench. Seems like you already have it figured out to me.
mbfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Potash is more important than s but our soil test are all coming back low on s so it's probably not a bad idea.
mbfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Local agronomist was talking about a farmer trial near Portage either 2011 or 2012. 28-0-0 applied at pod fill boosted yields by 5-10 bushels/acre. Problem is he didn't know how much N was applied to get the boost...

Andrew
Andrew_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cargill has done some work on this. I did the 180 by mistake on a field and it showed no signs of any burn. It has been tested up to 200 pounds by others. Since we have low Phos in a lot of places anyway I just think its a no brainer. But potash would have to be side banded which I can do and if I went that far I'd use some Am sulf as well because of the faster canopy I saw where I overlapped the N from the corn. Have you done anything with potash Mb?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

By the way we also did 50 acres of 11 52 0 in the trench when we ran out of s15. we didn't get any damage there either. I told my son to switch to side band when he switched products but he forgot. Oh well, that's how you find out anyway. I don't think I would expect that result all the time with MAP though. That would scare me a bit.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
711bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetfarmer View Post
By the way we also did 50 acres of 11 52 0 in the trench when we ran out of s15. we didn't get any damage there either. I told my son to switch to side band when he switched products but he forgot. Oh well, that's how you find out anyway. I don't think I would expect that result all the time with MAP though. That would scare me a bit.
someone should pay you for doing those trails.
to be honest we were going to try topdressing our beans this year, me and my friend have been talking about it all year, but we never got any rain when we had to topdress so we walked away from it.
by doing the math it sounded like it pays to put fert on beans, it just makes it a little more of a risky crop to grow.
but adding phos with beans is something we should've been doing since the day we started growing them. we put the phos on the fields in fall, can't put it on in furrow with planter. liquid has too high of salt and the SBU is too low to take a risk of doing so.
we want to spread 50 lbs of 11-52 actual and harrow the field to help it with warming up and then planting the beans after.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Any nitrogen application in soybeans is only going to show consistent yield improvement when applied at early seedling growth before nodulation and then at pod fill when the nodules have matured and die. My honest opinion is that any application of N on soybeans can be harmful. You cant afford to put enough N on soybeans to replace what they make themselves and by putting N on yourself, the plant can get lazy and not nodulate correctly.
hshfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

2years ago I sprayed liquid phos. on at bloom stage.I think is was called "gainer" 50 pound bags.Did several test strips in 5 fields even got the weigh wagon out to weigh out a couple acre strips,absolutly no differance in yield.Had done tissue samples before and after application,hardly any differance.Headline is my yield gainer.
hwy19farm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think it might have a place in our cropping system because we have such a short season that getting it to full canopy faster may make a big difference for us. I have read all the theories about lazy nodules and I am just going to continue trying something with nitrogen until I see for myself. The beans just start out so slowly here ! I should add that we are coming off of 5 wet years until mid summer of 2011 and our fertility levels were pitiful. If we have any hope of boosting our yields our duration of flowering time has to increase which means we have to get it growing faster. The alternative stratedgy is to try to get it nodulated faster which we do by adding granular innoculant up here and it does make a difference. A sopping wet June goes against that effort Anyway I'll keep making mistakes and see if I can find a way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.