Glyphosate resistant kochia problem - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

You need to be adding two other chemicals to the roundup not just one. Just using one group has already caused serious problems that we all are going to have to deal with. Adding just one group with the roundup is no different than just spraying one group on the kochia since the roundup has no effect at all, the kochia will soon just become resistant to whatever you are adding now. It'll be expensive but that's the price you will have to pay unless you are willing to let the kochia become resistant to multiple modes of action.
mbfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

@Alex - I am well aware of what Gramoxone is... I have been using it the last the 3 years to burn down waterhemp before planting soybeans. It is some nasty stuff, however it does not vapor drift the way 2,4-D does. When it does drift though it looks terrible. Most time from my experience is that its drift is normally cosmetic and won't hurt the crop. I have even thrown some Sencor with the Gramoxone in early summer to burn down marestail before double croppping to beans. Just found it odd to throw a growth regulator with a defoliant. Doesn't seem to add up to me. 2, 4-D is cheap though, so if you are having results, then great.
hshfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Not sure whose it is, but somebody's got a new burnoff tankmix, BlackHawk I think? Carfentrazone plus 2,4-d, add your own gly if you want. I know CleanStart always does a good job on kochia, so carfentrazone and 2,4-D should be good combo. I think it's a pretty good shot of 2,4-D, not just a couple ounces - gonna find more info on it.
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Nufarm
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Right. Found out it's 5 oz rate 2,4-D. I like the fact it's 2 different groups (14 & 4), and it's not group 2 - can't use grp 2 here.
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Right. Found out it's 5 oz rate 2,4-D. I like the fact it's 2 different groups (14 & 4), and it's not group 2 - can't use grp 2 here.
Your right it is a great option for anyone with group 2 and or group 9 resistance. I just hope people aren't too cheap to use it and cause more expensive problems later on.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Dicamba and Callisto are still working here. Trouble is Dicamba is so tight this year it's kinda hard to find. Still working on Kocia in soybeans. Thinking Authority assist soon. (pursuit and sencor) and possibly Cadet or something later. Hate doing the, turn the soybean field gray, thing though. Good luck, at tens of thousands of seeds per plant it's hard to control but at least the seed viability is very short!
joshfri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

2,4-D is not a great kochia killer by itself (which it essentially is if the kochia is resistant to glyphosate) and express will be ineffective due to Group 2 resistance. The best chemical I have found to control kochia before cereals is Heat. Since it is a Group 14 there are no known resistance issues in Canada. It is a very effective chemistry on many other weeds, like glyphosate tolerant canola. I don't really agree with Gramoxone, as it will just burn it down rather than kill it. Cleanstart would work fine too, but you need 10 gpa of water, while Heat needs only 5 gpa.

As a side note, Authority is extremely strong on kochia in crops like peas, flax and chickpeas. Valterra is a good option for soybeans. Both provide great residual control.
AgronomyFirst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Location: Suitcase Farmer, reside Sylvan Lake, Ab Farm in WC Sk, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgronomyFirst View Post
2,4-D is not a great kochia killer by itself (which it essentially is if the kochia is resistant to glyphosate) and express will be ineffective due to Group 2 resistance. The best chemical I have found to control kochia before cereals is Heat. Since it is a Group 14 there are no known resistance issues in Canada. It is a very effective chemistry on many other weeds, like glyphosate tolerant canola. I don't really agree with Gramoxone, as it will just burn it down rather than kill it. Cleanstart would work fine too, but you need 10 gpa of water, while Heat needs only 5 gpa.

As a side note, Authority is extremely strong on kochia in crops like peas, flax and chickpeas. Valterra is a good option for soybeans. Both provide great residual control.

^X2

Not really understanding the Black Hawk thing as all I want out of the box is the Aim for in front of oil seeds there is now a heap of 24D in the shed, there are much better products with working residual for in front of Cereals and Legumes then Aim, IMO.

You Can't Fix Stupid!
Victor Redance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgronomyFirst View Post

I was told this spring that their tests show that more than .5L/acre of glyphosate with Heat is no more effective and essentially a waste. Anyone else found this. I have a few bad road allowances I consistently watch the kochia control on. At over .5L/acre plus Heat the kochia started to look very dead and a lot of it came back. The same road allowance which was beside the field I was seeding to Canola, so no 2,4d or Heat but 1.75L of glyphosate did a much better job which was surprising to me. Obviously not resistant kochia but interesting. The kochia sprayed with glyphosate alone was more advanced. That leads me to my frustration, that little hairy bast**** kochia stage is very tough to kill. And I believe what has led to most of the resistance problem. It seems when their the size of a small tree, and obviously more contact area per plant they're easier to kill with glyphosate. Trifluralin also has some activity on kochia.
460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.