Super B Trains - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Super B Trains

I'm curious about what the laws are for states or countries that alow the use of Super B Trains. Here in Kansas our laws don't provide for the use of them...atleast not near their capacity. To get them full to you need a 4 axle tractor? How much can you load on them? I've been talking some with my state senator about them some and I would like more information to present him. Thanks.
farminflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Super B Trains

in michigan we can gross 164,000 but to get that gross wt. you need to have 8 axles on trailers and there are different axle configurations. i guess what i am tryng to say is if you have everything right you can weigh up to 164,000 lbs. if you have big tires on steer axle you can go up to 20,000 lbs. ,18,000 lbs on spread axle ,13,000 lbs. on all other axles. in michigan if you pull a multi axle trailer ( three or more ) you can only gross 32,000 on drives not 34,000 like normal. i dont know if that helps ? any more questions let me know
8010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Super Bs are pretty popular in Saskatchewan. Eight axles lets you load to 62,500 kg / 137,700 lb on primary highways. I can't find a link to the regs about tridem tractors, but 3 axles in the back of a tractor is either illegal or won't gain you anything. Load limits at the link:
http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/load-limits/
quappelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
farmerleach

You can go to 63,500 kg in Alberta. The Alberta regs are on this site http://www.trans.gov.ab.ca:81/docType281/production/teg012.htm

You can get a permit in Alberta for running a tridrive it does allow more weight.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

So in Sask or Alberta do you have to have 8 axles total, as in Front axle, 2 drivers, 3 on lead, 2 on trailed? 8010 from the way you say it you need 8 total on the trailer not including the axles on the tractor. Like i say i want to get this strait because there maybe a real shot at getting this approved in KS, the appeal I'm making is better economy, less fuel burned and fewer trucks on the road. For us in western ks, we could truck to major teminals ourself and make an extra $.70/bu during the winter months, and the B trains would take it from a small profit margin to a very good profit margin. My senator is actually listening intently so maybe a small town yokle can have a voice.
farminflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck

In Manitoba you are allowed 62,500 on a SuperB.

You have:
Steering Axle: 5500Kg
Drive Axles: (Tandems): 17,000KG
Tridems (Front trailer, rear axles): 23,000KG
Rear Axles (Tandems, rear trailer rear axles): 17,000KG

Total: 62,500KG

If you want, I can scan in all the DOT reg's for Western Canada - I have the official "rulebook" from my trucking days.
Christian A. Herrnboeck is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Here in Michigan you can gross 164k, thats 8 trailer axles plus your steer and 2 drives. Problem we have is 99% of our grain goes out of state so we can't pull big trailer combo's out of state without getting a over weight permit which are expensive and you have to take certain routes. We pull tri-axle dump trailers, we can legally gross 88k but can only bridge 78k due to being to short, its confusing and i stopped trying to understand it. One thing to remember is, we have horrible roads here in michigan, atleast in our area, due to the fact that we can haul 164k wherever you want to.
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here's links to a couple of Canadian manufacturers of typical western Canadian Super Bs. I've heard that the Super B is more stable than a semi and separate trailer.

http://www.lodeking.com/products/grain/
http://ann2.doepker.com/products.aspx
quappelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

States and provinces that dont allow superb's should have to buy carbon emmision credits from the farmers that farm in superb allowable states, isn;t that the cap and trade theory!!!!
kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck

I don't know about more stable... You're pulling a lot more weight, so it takes more skill to drive a tractor/superB combo...

They are nice in farmyards because they aren't even close to as stiff as a 42' straight trailer - much easier to go around corners and maneuver in small spaces.
Christian A. Herrnboeck is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.