Wilson vs. Timpte vs. Merritt - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Wilson vs. Timpte vs. Merritt

We have timpte and wilson trailers both and like both of them, although I think they timpte roller traps work better than the wilson. I'm not saying that the wilson doesn't work good, I'm just saying I think the timpte works nicer, we also order ours without the two speed traps, the roller traps work so nice that we don't feel it is necessary on an aghopper. Also, unless you order the high capacity trailer,(which is more money) there is no reason to have anything longer than a 40', the cubic foot capacity does not increase in the trailers over 40' until you get into the triple axle.
jd4930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Go with the merrit, The older ones with steel hoppers weren't real good but the hoppers from their on are easy to open especially the ag hoppers. For twisting in and out of fields you can't beat the durability of the merrit because it has a steel frame. I've been around them all wilsons are the top the line but i'd put merrit next.
1394 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

I haul commercially and run Timpte. I have ordered them new from the factory. Both 2008's one has the Sidewinder belt doors which work so easy a 10 yr old kid can open them with a load of rock in the hopper. The other has standard doors with reduction boxes. Reason was price difference and I pull the standard one myself. IF you only haul grain, you might not want reduction boxes. They will open "alittle" harder when in direct. I order them, as I have afew good customers I haul sand for, so in my application there are times when the reduction boxes could be helpful. If money isn't an option, the Sidewinder doors are the way to go...they are the easiest opening traps you will find period. I would stay away from a Merrit....not a bad trailer, but the Timpte or Wilson traps will work easier. Also you might want to check bridge laws....I run 42ft trailers for that reason. You might not be able to legally "bridge" with a shorter trailer. If you're a farmer, usually not a big deal as DOT will probably look the other way.
tcm4368 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

It was explained to me that almost all 40' trailers will be able to bridge the maximum weight in all states. This was done to include all of the tanker trailers which are basically all 40' long. I don't know what you guys have seen, but in my findings, because of the angle of the hoppers, you have to go to a taller side to get more capacity out of a 42 vs a 40' trailer. otherwise you have to make your hopper doors longer, or your hopper slope flatter. neither of which is usually desirable. here in ks a 38'6" trailer can bridge the max legal load of 34000lbs on tandems. local manufacturers like neville make a lot of this weird length for this reason.
3x2188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Looked at Wilson and Timpte in Feb /March '09 in south Sask . Wilson had one feature I liked not mentioned above - trap openers on both sides . I discovered we could buy the Timpte direct from the factory in Nebraska , and therefore save around $4200 on Canadian dealer price . After ordering the trailer 2nd April it was built for collection on 27th April . When we got it home I discovered I had forgotten to specify the double trap openers . We actually saved about $3000 by the time diesel etc was paid for.
Used primarily for our own use , with about 30000kms on it now , we have had one puncture only .
We had hunted for a used trailer since harvest '08 but anything we could find worth bringing home was close to new price - or even above - and then they needed tyres .
I was after lightness and with an '04 Columbia we cross the scale empty around 12200kgs .
lepoubelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

We own a wilson and steel lode king. wilson pulls and opens the traps better but its also a newer trailer. and it still looks good even though its a 97' the next one will be a wilson again if i have the final say. I know a trucking company who has wilson, timpte and cornhusker and say the wilsons are built better and dont crack like the other two do.
maninsilver is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

We own a1994 wilson that I bought new. Before that I had a used timpte and before that a used load king. I am thinking of upgrading will have to be either a wilson or timpte. Likley price will be the deciding factor between the two aluminum trailers as both are well made.
griffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

We just bought a set of 2006 Doepker Super-B trailers and the gates are fairly hard to open. I don't really want to put electric or Hydraulic trap openers, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any kits that are available to add either a simple reduction gearbox or a 2-speed gearbox to trailers that came without them?

If I have to I'll build a geared or sprocket system, but wanted to see if anyone knew of any manual gearbox retrofit kits.
eat5hams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

almost all trailer dealers will have two speed gear boxes. you can connect your shaft to the output of the gearbox, and then build you a bracket to mount the box to your original hanger.
3x2188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Lol that makes sense, I guess I should have called a local trailer dealer first. Thanks for the heads up!
eat5hams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.