Wilson vs. Timpte vs. Merritt - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wilson vs. Timpte vs. Merritt

Looking for a 38' tandem axle trailer. Please discuss the good and bad of these three. I know nothing about merritt other than they look really good and are priced less than the timpte and wilson. This trailer would be for farm use only, and would not be used for commercial purposes. TIA.. (off to ski now till thursday )
jdgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Wilson vs. Timpte vs. Merritt

Jet
jradway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck

Have fun, Steve!

I have used Timptes and LodeKings. Prefer the Lodeking all the way. Timpte boxes have a pretty cheapy gearbox on the openers, and there's no easy way to clean off the hopper slide (it's all enclosed). They're also a bit of a heavier trailer.

They do pull very easily though, so that's a plus for them.
Christian A. Herrnboeck is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

used to have a merritt tridem all aluminum....gates were too big making them hard to open when loaded as well as they were too low to the ground so getting an auger under them was not fun. Watch for these things as i do not know if the newer ones changed or not.
neil86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

We just bought a Dakota and it is built really well, but still very light weight. We have a timpte also and the steel frame for the suspension and back doors is always cracking. Also doesn't have near the hopper clearance of the Dakota. For farm use i definately wouldn't worry about the wall not being smooth like the brands you listed.
farminflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

We have a timpte its a pretty good trailer the only things I would change about it is I would take off the two speed traps, and put aluminum rims and air ride suspension on it. The one thing that I would suggest to you is to buy a 43' footer instead of a 38 it won't be that much harder to maneuver but will hold up to 100 bushels more, and if your buying used there probably alot more common.
deereman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

We have a 2003 43' timpte with ag hoppers and it is a very good trailer. We have never had any major problems and it has been on the farm since new. The only thing i don't like are the gates are sometimes hard to open. Don't know much about the others but overall this has treated us well.
cr970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wilson or Timpte are very good trailers, go with the ag doors if possible . also get the 2-speed doors. I dont know much about merrits but I have owned 5 Timpte's and 4 wilsons and they are good trailers. Myself would never own a steel trailer becuase of the resale they have compared to the Wilson's or Timpte's.
panhandle9400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cr 970 does your trailer have two speed traps also. My cousins doesn't and his open a lot easier than ours but its quite a bit newer also.
deereman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
hfh

Just bought a new wilson this winter. Absolutely love it. I would like to buy another Wilson. Alot of Timpete's around here as well. Very few Merrit's around. We looked at the Wilson's Stoughton's, and Timpetes, decided on the Wilson's simply cuz we like the Wilson dealer better and did business with them before with our old Wilson that we sold this winter. If you're undecided, visit each dealer that sells the trailers you're considering. I feel that you will figure which one to go with. Good luck.
hfh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.