grain bags and deer - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: grain bags and deer

Piles are no better storage than making a grain pile IMO. Like everyone says the Ravens/birds land on top and make holes allowing the grain to trickle down which attracts mice/rats and then they make a few holes and then you have your very own deer self feeder. I have deer coming on my yard every day and no matter how many times you chase them they will always come back.

In our area there is a few natives that will come get rid of them for you.(they do not require a hunting license for those who are unaware)
Jason Hildebrand is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

snipe if you are starting to see ravens the moose are not far behind. Am told the two travel together.
food4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

If moose and ravens are flying together, would it be a herd or a flock? Not sure I want a moose landing on top of our bags either. We have ravens pretty much year round, I've only ever seen one moose here. But the population is on the rise, and there are supposed to be a few new hunting zones opening up for moose in the few years.

It's not a great idea, but what about sacrificing 200 bushels on a pile away from the bags as a distraction? Maybe a smaller price to pay, although you also may get more wildlife in the area. Probably also have to replenish the pile after awhile too.
randsenns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

We had 49 bags out this year. Ravens, for whatever reason, can smell oats in a bag from 20miles away but don't even take a second look at a canola bag. Really quite wierd. I am told there is an oil in the oats that they can smell (likely BS).

The best and only cure we have found for ravens is to get permission form the local Conservation Officer to shoot some (some people don't realize they are a protected species) as they are doing damage to your crop. One dead raven in the middle of a 250' bag will keep the ravens off for the rest of the year. The trick is to shoot one!! These are the wiliest birds and seem to know when something is up. We had two large oat bags 50' from each other in a field, but only had enough dead ravens to put one on one of the bags. It never had any more damage done to it and the other one was ripped right up. The other ravens will not eat a dead raven. We tried flags and scarecrows (which seem to work OK for deer) but the dead buddy trick works the best.

Putting them as close as possible to busier roads also helps.

We had 15+ tough canola bags and had almost no damage done to them. All in all, if we had put 550,000 bu of grain in piles, we would be cleaning them up for years and would have lost grade on everything. And we got away with storing some tough grain 2 or 3 months before drying, which you would have a hard time keeping control of in the bin (canola up to 15% in bags) .
glcrm458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

i am going to fence in a large area with deer fence to keep the 4 legged critters out, ravens we will have to deal with some other way.
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Used to hang a rouline soaked rope in the barn to kill the sparrows and piegeons would any thing like that work to lay across a few bags?
kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

i would say fence them off, but that could get expensive, cause you cant win the hunting battle, but i guess with ravens you can if you lay a dead one there.
canora2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.