Kansas CDL? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kansas CDL?

Does anybody know if a Kansas farmer driving a 18-wheeler is exempt from getting a CDL as long as he is within 150 miles of farm and semi is only for farm-use?
carolina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Kansas CDL?

Carolina, I believe that a KS farmer doesn't need a CDL if driving his own semi (or the hired man driving the farm semi) as long as it's for Farm Use Only.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

He needs a Class A though. If you're going to get that, it's just as easy to get a CDL.
pknoeber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Class A is a CDL. Last time I checked a farmer doesn't need a CDL to do his own work and it's not driven commercially (for others).
admin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

http://www.kcc.state.ks.us/trans/farm_compliance.htm

I'll let you read that yourself.

If you are legally allowed to drive a truck without a CDL, then you should carry a copy of that webpage (or the equivalent from some book) with you in the truck. If you ever get pulled over, there is a good chance the DOT officer won't be aware of that exemption, even if you are within the law.

P.S. I wouldn't take advise on legal issues from some Internet forum. If you were to get incorrect information, there is no accountability. However, if you get your info from a reputable website, such as the one above, then you should be just fine. That site is a state.ks.us domain name, so it is the government in control of that information. If you're still in doubt, take that to the DOT office and have them look up the laws since the reference numbers are listed there too. Better safe than sorry, especially if you were to get written a ticket for not having a license by some DOT person that didn't know better.

-Lance <-- Was written a citation by the MN DOT for a similar offense because the officer didn't know about the exclusion.
mx270a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

KDOT just put on a meeting at our local coop about farm truck rules and regulations, so I am up to date on this stuff. You do not have to have a CDL, but you do have to have a non commercial class A to drive a semi. To get your non comm. class A, you take a regular vehicle test and then do the driving test with a semi. You do not have to inspect the truck. But, you can only go in a 150 mile radius hauling YOUR products. The guy made it clear that if it wasn't your products (even if it's your neighbors), then you have to have the truck licensed commercially and you have to have a CDL. If you have any more questions I still have the handout he gave us so I can probably answer it.
deereman8100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

And you can not cross state lines either, or you fall under Fed regulation requiring a CDL, including med card, name on side of truck, DOT #'s, IFTA permits.
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I posted this at another place on this site, but didn't get any replies. Can a non-US citizen get a CDL license as long as they are legal to be here? The great state of MS says no, they say that is federal regs. You have to be a US citizen to obtain a CDL license according to them. They can't show me this in writing though. Thanks
cocodrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

When I was on harvest run in 1994 and 1995 we had guys from Zimbabwe and England and they all had CDL's with hazmat. Our service trucks required hazmat.
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:I posted this at another place on this site, but didn't get any replies. Can a non-US citizen get a CDL license as long as they are legal to be here? The great state of MS says no, they say that is federal regs. You have to be a US citizen to obtain a CDL license according to them. They can't show me this in writing though. Thanks

I done harvest in 99 and me and the rest of the crew who were not US citizens all got our CDL in Kansas. We all had temporary work visas.
laury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.