How many tons per load - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How many tons per load

Flicking through some old photos from last year, found this one of a local truck carting Grain (lupins). I'm told he was pulling a max of 105 ton a load out, field bin along side holds 100 ton.
Truck is powered by a 550HP Cat engine, it hauls load about 70kms to unload at silos.

fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: How many tons per load

Well crap, that puts anything I've seen to shame. Where is that from? What does it weigh empty and full?

Here in Iowa, we're limited to 80,000 lbs, but in the fall we get to go to 90,000.

Out in South Dakota, with enough axles, I think they are legal to about 159,000 lbs.

-Lance
mx270a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

+1 for excellent photos from Down Under!!!

You can NEVER get enough of that!

- Peter, Denmark (used to be Down Under...)
gording01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Big A:

Hehe... No matter what you put in front of the "cart" - aka. "bin" - aka "mother bin" you wont be pulling off with it full - and if you do anyway, you'll definitely break it!

The mother bins aren't made for transport - instead it's a portable "buffer tank" you put on the headlands when harvesting down under. That's for the grain cart - aka "chaser bin" (chases the header aka "combine" around the paddock - aka "the field"... )

Anyway - the mother bin is placed on the headlands or someplace where theres easy access for the grain cart and the trucks that haul the grain. This buffer capacity is great for when the trucks don't arrive in the field at a regular basis - say 2 trucks at a time for some reason...

That way the trucks don't have to wait for the grain cart to return with a load, the grain cart don't need to wait for trucks to arrive to unload and the combines don't have to wait on the grain cart that waits on the trucks!

Veeeeeeeery clever!

- Peter
gording01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sorry Didn't know the lingo........ ....That is very interesting though.

Question..... ....Are those trailers on the truck dump trailers? How do they dump all of them? Unhook them?
cowgirlchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Awesome pics. That has got to be the biggest grain cart ever....... ...I
like that truck. I've heard of those road trains, but man... ....4 trailers. I could just imagine going by D.O.T. here with that truck now.... .......

One thing isn't that tractor a little small for that cart.....Looks like you need a big 4wd. Wouldn't want to get that cart stuck.....

By my calculations that cart would hold 3,571 bu of corn. The truck would hold 3,750 bu of corn..... ......I'm surprised that the guys with Lexions aren't using these... .... ...You need a cart and a couple of trucks like that just to keep up with a 600R/590R...... .....The Lexion 600R/590R can probably fill that cart in a couple of bin fulls.......

Lance...

Around here hauling from the field to our bins I fill her up... ....2 42' hoppers. Every load has about 1,200-1,300 bu on it.( about 100,000lbs) Full.....No sense taking a half of load.... .... Now going from our bins to the mill during harvest I load about 1,000 bu. ( about 90,000lbs, & 90 mile trip one way)We can carry 80,000lbs legal.(about 915 bu). Just got to watch out for the men in the black suits.....D.O.T. Cops....
cowgirlchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

The way it works is that the headers (combines) stay in paddock all day & have a chasser bin, in this case a 30 tonner tandem axle unit, this is normally towed by a high horsepower tractor (some times up to 450hp) for speed of the mark to make it to the field bin, unload then back to the headers before they are full.
The feild bins stays on the edge of the paddock so that it is easy for the trucks to pull along side & load out. It is hard for us to get our heads around what is talked of in the USA about 30 or so trucks hauling from from field, we seem to do it with a lot less. The large feild bins are becoming more common now. The farm that photo above was taken at now have 2 100 tonners, 2 480R Lexions & 2 30 tonne chasser bins behind 400 + tractors. A fair amount of grain comes of in one day with this set up.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ykes the poor clutch on the Kwobbler. Unless there is a extremely low gear on that thing.

How do you start anyway.
maninsilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thats impressive! I thought the new 1500 bushel grain carts were big, they hold nothing to that. Here in michigan we can haul up to i believe 154,000 give or take a bit, we can have up to 8 axles on the trailer. North of us where the guys don't go across state lines they have dump trailer, hopper bottoms, and gravel trains with up to 8 axles under them, they haul about 1400 bushels legaly all day. The local chicken house is closed down right now so its 1100 bushels a load to cargill. If you get caught just give them the keys
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

You guys sure like the 'roo bars on the noses of your trucks.
How about 'V' shaped dozer blades, just like the old steam trains had to clear the tracks
cessnaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.