The Combine Forum banner

Legal tandem weights in AB

16K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  xm800T3$$ 
#1 · (Edited)
How do you figure out how much a guy can haul legal in a tandem in Alberta? The truck weighs roughly 9400kgs. Dont know if thats heavy or light for a tandem? Has a 20ft grain box on so would be hauling mostly wheat and canola, fertilizer in spring.

#2 ·
same as all trucks 5500 kgs on steer 17,000kgs on drives so 22,500 kgs or 49603lbs unless your on secondary highway then you go by the posted weight limit ex) 75% is 75% of youyr gross. Your truck i am sure weights 9400kgs not pounds if it where pounds it would be extremly light if its kgs its about average. so to sum it up 22.500kgs - 9400kgs = 13,100kgs payload or 471.6 bushels of wheat or 584.3 bushels of canola or 627 bushels or urea if my formula is correct

#8 ·
Irrigationfarmer is correct (mostly) on tractor-semi-trailer applications. The steer axle is capped at 5500Kgs on s/a and t/a truck tractors. You can buy overload permits for the front axle for fixed-weight items, which is why you see fat-tired truck tractors with pickers, cranes etc. You cannot do that with divisible loads though, ie something you can load or unload (grain). In a straight truck applications, Don's got the formula right above. Up to 7300Kg at 10Kg/mm tire-width. This still holds true on straight truck-full trailer applications, with the only stipulation being this set-up is capped at 55,300Kg with tandem drive trucks and 63,500Kg with tri-drive trucks and the full-trailer is capped at 31,000kg (tridem can only max out with tandem steers though, plus it'd need special permits for the weight on all municipal roads). Hence no one pulls anything bigger than a tandem trailer on a tandem converter dolly. This is all Alberta info.

#10 ·
Does this apply for trailers? I have been told that the 10 kg/mm stands, yet I know of a company that runs 235/75R17.5's on their tandem trailers, with 12k axles. According to the width rule, they are way overweight, despite the tire being rated for them. Reason for asking is I want to build a 5th wheel trailer, and axles/tires determine my sill width.

Bruce

#12 ·
i stand corrected in manitoba the 75% rule applies to steer axle (making some trucks over loaded even empty) but it does not apply in sask or alberta. The 10kg/mm rule i beleive is based on semi tires however its whichever is lower ex) if trailer axle is rated for less than its the lesser. Most semi trailer axles are rated for either 9300kgs or 10,000kgs. THe wide based tires which allow for heavier steer weights are permit only however the 5500kgs is the standard 11R22.5 tires which is what most trucks run. Semis can run the wide based tires however only in heavy haul or trucks with mounted equipment have to worry about being over the 5500kgs. My pete with plate slide as far ahead as i dare runs only 5300kgs on the steers full of fuel. I know gravel and heavy haulers who can run more weight on the drives have made use of the 7300 kgs steer my buddy tells me they have on truck thats permitted to run

7300kgs steer
22000kgs drives
22000kgs jeep
24000kgs trailer (heavy equipment trailer)
22000kgs booster
Total 97300kgs

thats permit only hauling heavy equipment in the oilpatch

#13 ·
Well - - no one has mentioned one little item that may be of some use. (It may have also disappeared!!! ;-( )

Alberta has a regulation where in harvest season a truck may be overloaded by 15%. AFAIK that means the field to the yard nothing else.

There are winter permits where the log haulers with 8 axles got to aroung the 90k kg line too but that's quite another set of onions.

#14 ·
When the flat-top trailers of a road train need to be transported empty, it is common practice to stack them. This is commonly referred to as "doubled-up" or "doubling-up". See illustration. Sometimes, if many trailers are required to be moved at one time, they will be triple-stacked, or "tripled-up".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.