Filling air drill from grain trailers; experiences with side chute, augers or hopper extensions - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

I used the airseeder hopper on 2 carts and found they damaged pulse crop seed and they were awkward to handle and line up to with trailer. I have since went to hopper augers. If I were to do it again I would get Elias reliabelt to build me a conveyor that works like a hopper auger or maybe a Cancade hopper auger. Cancade and Elias swing out of the way allowing full access to trailer chutes for clean out and have better ground clearance when going down the road.
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

I agree with above. What I remember is the grain does not flow smoothly at the connection to the hopper auger. We even lengthened flighting around joint. The big thing was how it spit grain everywhere as well as it being so low on windy days the grain or fert would blow everywhere. The michels auger spout sits right on our auger screen now so no spills.
460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

I use a wilson tandem trailer with 2 michel 10 augers. Works great. Have a tow behind air cart, so I find if I set everything up right, I just drive the trailer along side the cart and start filling one half of the cart. I do have to move the trailer to do the other half, but I found it reduced the filling time. I used to use two tandem trucks.
soccerdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

I tried using transfer augers, but moving them between fields is a nightmare for one person(the one I had at least).

Thought about the airseeder hopper, but it still made us have to move the drills 5 feet when filling with different products and makes it so we need 2 people when filling. Last fall when banding fertilizer I nearly broke/tore my bad ankle running up and down the air cart 6 times per tank.

So I ordered a set of 8" Aluminum Michel's with the wireless remote for this spring. They're expensive, but they're the only thing we looked at that gave us the ability to load 2 products when staying in one place from the truck. If they can save me one ankle injury, I'll be happy.

EDIT: Also, I have side chutes. Not overly happy with them for seeding. I've used them here and there with good success, but always had to shovel a ton.

Last edited by primer; 03-24-2012 at 10:57 AM.
primer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer View Post
I tried using transfer augers, but moving them between fields is a nightmare for one person(the one I had at least).

Thought about the airseeder hopper, but it still made us have to move the drills 5 feet when filling with different products and makes it so we need 2 people when filling. Last fall when banding fertilizer I nearly broke/tore my bad ankle running up and down the air cart 6 times per tank.

So I ordered a set of 8" Aluminum Michel's with the wireless remote for this spring. They're expensive, but they're the only thing we looked at that gave us the ability to load 2 products when staying in one place from the truck. If they can save me one ankle injury, I'll be happy.

EDIT: Also, I have side chutes. Not overly happy with them for seeding. I've used them here and there with good success, but always had to shovel a ton.

I am glad to here that you have had "good success" with side chutes. I can put up with some shoveling, but I would be very dissapointed if they just simply did not work.
irrigationfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thankyou for all of your posts. I was hoping to hear positive feedback on the side chutes as that would be the most inexpensive option. No doubt the trailer mounted augers would be great but a little expensive for the amount I seed. How are you running your augers, from the truck or drill hydraulics?
deere7720 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

For 3 yrs. we have run them in series with the auger. With my tractor I think I lost a little capaity of the 10" airseeder auger. There is also the time spent with the hose hookup and unhook.
This year I have bought wet kits for the trucks mostly to buy time and to simplify things for the help. It seems it can never be simple enough for the people we can attract to come to work.
As was mentioned with the michels you get two augers that you can see in your mirror making it simple without having to move anything. Sometimes once we've stopped in a field we may not be moving again unless we get some weight off. With the airseeder hopper it can be a relatively cheap way to unload out of a trailer. But it could come at a price if someone drives over the auger or conveyor.
460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default neville trailer ordered by irrigation farmer

If I was to buy a new neville trailer the first thing I would do is pull out the welder and weld all of the sheets together. The overlap on the sheet metal is excessive. You can hear them coming down the road from a mile away. Have three other trailers made in western Canada and you can't hear them coming down the road at all. After a few rough roads and a couple of rains you will see small cracks occurring beside the spot welds with rust making them stand out. In my opinion they could have made a much better trailer if they would have spent a couple more hours welding inside the hoppers before they sent it off to paint
dirtfarmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Yikes! I had not heard this at all when hearing or reading reviews about the Neville trailers. Anyone else with experiance with Neville grain trailers care to comment?
irrigationfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

The price of the us built trailers is attractive but they are not built for western Canada. Look at the weight they are quite a bit lighter with all steel construction and closed ends. Timpte and Wilson seem to have a better reputation. We bought a tandem dually flat deck because it was half price of a Norbert's from down south paint, wiring etc needed a lot of work. $8000 worth of work probably not. The resale won't be great on it. But for $3000 we upgraded from an old wore out trail tech tridem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.