2006 mack vision semi truck with 460 mack engine...would like to get your opion on this truck, good engine ect.. - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2006 mack vision semi truck with 460 mack engine...would like to get your opion on this truck, good engine ect..

i would like your opion on a 2006 mack vision t/a semi truck it has 13sp eaton and 460 mack engine, engine good? any problems? weak points? thanks
ty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
tmk

I am no expert just a farmer / truck driver and owner of a 2001 CH 613 with a 460 xt engine . I was told after 2002 or 2003 Renault bought Mack and their engineers made a number of changes thus creating a number of problems . A fuel carrier who we had leased on with had 4 or 5 in their fleet and no one cared to drive them . Not as much power as 500 plus hp trucks and they ran pretty hot , enough so that the windshield washer tanks would start to melt from the turbo heat . They eventually traded them of on Volvos as no other dealer would take them on trade .
My advice is to talk to a couple of Mack lead mechanics and hopefully they offer you honest advice . Hope this helps .
tmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you very much for the reply, i had heard to stay away from the 2003-2005 mack trucks but a few guys had said by 2006 you were pretty safe as in lots of problems they had earlier were fixed, but just figured i would throw this up here and get other peoples opions on them..
Old 12-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have both a 2003 and a 2005 CX 613's. The 03 is a completely different and better truck than the 05. I am not sure when the date of the change was in 03 but we obviously got an early one. The 05 rides much nicer but it is highway spec and the 03 is heavy oilfield spec so that obviously makes quite a difference. They both have 460 engines but are completely different, power is just fine, not much difference there between the two. The only real problem we have with the 05 is the egr cooler needs replacing periodically, something to watch out for.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks for the reply did you ever have trouble with the turbo on your 2005? some people were saying you cant keep a turbo in them? could just be people making up a bunch of bs not sure
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1500 View Post
thanks for the reply did you ever have trouble with the turbo on your 2005? some people were saying you cant keep a turbo in them? could just be people making up a bunch of bs not sure
Nothing to date as far as turbo. As stated, only real problems have come from the egr system, cooler, lines sensors etc. You will know you have a problem when your antifreeze starts bubbling out of your overflow tube. This seems to be the weak link on these trucks, if someone was to come up with a way to get into the computor there would be a huge market for egr delete kits for these trucks. I think they would be a good engine after that.
I have also had my AC system gone through a couple of times but I think this is more of a case of imcompetent mechanics than of the system in general.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.