The Combine Forum banner

Versatile 976 transmission options

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pursy 
#1 ·
Would somebody please enlighten me as to which transmissions the Versatile 976`s have. I understand there is a 12 spd p/s. Is that the one that has three ranges on the floor and each range has a 4 powershift lever on the right hand console. I understand there is also then, a fully manual trans option as well, just like the older Versatiles? Have I got this right? How well does the p/s trans work and are they strong and durable. Were there any changes/improvements made to the 976 during its time. i.e. are the later ones better than the earlier ones. I understand they were made from `85 to `93 and the colour change from red to blue was about`88? Lynas.

#2 ·
As far as I know the PS was a full 12 speed powershift, no range splits. The 12 speed manual is a 3 range, 4 gear in each range transmision like the older versatiles. My 976 is a 88' painted blue. I think in 91 they went to the digital dash, other than that there are not any changes that I am aware of. I've heard that the powershifts were fine as long as you didn't turn the wick up, supposedly they were near the max powerwise at 360hp. There was also a pto option with the powershift.

#3 ·
Thanks 1156. Looks like I was getting a bit confused. So there`s a 12 spd p/s ( presumably a twin disc? ), and a manual trans, which consists of three ranges and 4 gears in each range. Am I right in saying that the gears are changed with a little lever on the right hand console? Lynas.

#6 ·
Actually we had a 1988 Vers 936 and it was red and New Holland yellow with the Ford oval on the hood at the front. You could tell the yellow was much brighter than the original yellow. I think 89 was the first year for blue and white. As for the 976 powershift I had one of those too, unfortunately. Bought it used from a farmer and a year and a half later I had to replace the transmission. $23000 later I was back in the field and found out later that the engine had been turned up to 400hp. 1156 is right leave the pump alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.