The Combine Forum banner

I got a good one for you guys

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Montana380 
#1 ·
Long time lurker, I find out how to fix more things here than anywhere else. Had to make an account to share a good one with you guys: could not keep my air seeder on the AB line this spring. It would lunge over 4 feet and I would be leaving a skip every round. I tried different globes, monitors, measurements, and calibrations. My head almost exploded. I was talking to the john Deere tech, and about to see if fire would fix it, when he asked if I had Bluetooth. I did. A 15 dollar FM transmitter I'd just orded from amazon. I brought up the signal screen and watched a 100% GPS signal drop to 5% as I plugged it in. I texted the tech that Bluetooth was the issue, he called immediately to tell me that was a total shot in the dark. All gravy now. It seems so simple in retrospect.

#2 ·
I have a wireless camera system in the 1.5ghz range. Completely lost gps when I turned it on. Luckily it is a 8 channel system. Changed channels and all works. We only have so many wireless frequencies available for public use. With all the wireless stuff we use, things can get on to the same frequencies. GPS is a wireless signal. Wiki says GPS uses 2 frequencies L1 at 1575.42Mhz and L2 at 1227.60Mhz. Bluetooth uses the 2400Mhz range and uses frequency hopping of around 40 channels (BT 4.0). Meaning it changes channels around 1600 times per second so it can work in a "noisy" area. Also is more secure that way. Surprised is messed with GPS. Anything is possible. I have ran into other problems with wireless devices sharing frequencies also. One reason to avoid CB. They are a very noisy system and can mess with lots of things. FYI, most wifi uses 2.4Ghz range, most. The 1.5ghz and 1.2ghz ranges are not use that often. My camera system is cheap Chinese transmitter and they don't care much about interference when they built it. I play with "drones" learned just enough about frequencies in the past couple years to get my self into trouble.

I am bored, waiting and hoping a rain system passes over before I go spray. It is close at the moment.

#3 ·
This reminds me of a couple of falls ago, something I have mentioned on here before about a little GPS episode gone wrong. I discovered that it was one of our two way radio's that we use in our tractors etc and something went haywire inside the one radio that I had swapped into that tractor and every time the mic was keyed it floored the GPS so it just went out of whack and had no signal and took minutes for it to get straightened out again ... hit the mic again, same thing all over again. It never occurred to me that it was the radio itself so I thought it must be something going wrong with the antenna, the power source causing a power draw for the GPS or something but all it was, was the actual radio as a swap with another unit into the tractor and the problem was solved.

#5 ·
Good responses.This Bluetooth was also a cheap Chinese product, it would never get an FCC approval. In the 3 days I used it, I had to unplug it when not in the tractor. When I'd answer my phone in the house, the Bluetooth would pick it up from 300 feet away at the fuel tanks. I think Bluetooth is only supposed to work about 30 feet. Oh well. I guess that's why we farm, new and unique problems to solve every day. Every single day.

#6 ·
I had enough trouble with the cheap fm transmitters that I bought a GoGroove for about $45. But now when I have my phone charging through the fm transmitter, my trimble field-iq says it lost connection occasionally. I have the 12v cigarette wired through the same junction. I wouldn't think the phone would draw enough current to affect field-iq but it must.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.