Corn Seed help - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
agb

Default Corn Seed help

I have not bought a bag of corn yet for this spring. I have waited for a reason. I am tired of hearing that if I don't buy my seed in November I won't get any and I won't get the great "deals" that all the seed company's are offering.

Last year I gave my favorite dealers my order and paid for it (in December). Bought the newest and best (again) only to find out that my refuge corn beat my triple stacked for the second year in a row (or was withing 5 bu.). This newest and best was (after discounts) about $250 per bag. For those of you who are seed dealers, I used Pioneer, Dekalb, Dyna Grow and Renk.

I am not a cultist (meaning I won't commit suicide if one of these company's goes bankrupt). I will buy any good 100-104 day corn, but I will not pay $300 a bag for it. I have plenty of soybean options.

Recently I donated to our local FFA and won 3 bags of corn from a local dealer. He told me to pick any # I wanted. I did but want 5 more bags since 3 will do me very little good. The number I picked was $300 a bag which prompted this post (or rant, whatever you call it).

Is there anyone out there that can direct me to a good seed company that isn't trying to suck the lifeblood out of me?
agb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Being 100% honest as a farmer/dealer, in the past couple of years waiting didn't hurt you as there was plenty of good varieties remaining in the spring. This year seed demand for better varieties is extremely high and most numbers sold out in November. You could offer me $500 a bag on many numbers and I couldn't get it for you. There are some top 1/3 numbers remaining, but you better lock them up soon.
gtfinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
agb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfinc View Post
Being 100% honest as a farmer/dealer, in the past couple of years waiting didn't hurt you as there was plenty of good varieties remaining in the spring. This year seed demand for better varieties is extremely high and most numbers sold out in November. You could offer me $500 a bag on many numbers and I couldn't get it for you. There are some top 1/3 numbers remaining, but you better lock them up soon.
Are they less than $300 a bag?
agb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

$240-$315 Hits the triple stacks. That is retail less 12% for volume. Could have had an additional 8% off for payment by Nov 20th.
gtfinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

The seed companys just like using your money intrest free. Shop around seed dealers are very competitive
clayandrockfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not sure exactly where you guys are at and what volume you buy but I buy the top varieties from NK(syngenta) , Pioneer or Dekalb. I buy between 700 - 1000 units each year and i have yet to hit $150.00/ 80,000 kernals . 2010 avg = $142.63, 2011 = $145.26 . this would be the avg for triple and quad stacks including a refuge of close to 20%, I don't normally pay untill end of each growing season. (nov 15)
I put my seed out on bid , and let the seed companies make the offers to me.
So far it has worked pretty decent for getting good pricing on their better varieties.
Big Cob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

well i don't know where your at but here in Illinois and many other places in the corn belt, there has been great shortages in corn seed. these shortages come from a poor harvest of the seed last summer/fall, and great demands for certain varieties. dealers are still unable to fill certain orders that were made last November and December, and it is not just the "high dollar" corn, its actually the contrary being the good value refuge numbers. so my advise to you is to get something ordered immediately, unless you are planning on planting crappy off brand seed.
hiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

i am not saying you should plant all triple stack varietys and buy the most expensive corn out there but there is alot of truth in the old saying you get what you pay for. i know guys who brag how they bought some off the wall corn name and got it for $75 per bag. but when they harvested it yield was 35 bushel less than the $160 per bag stuff so what did they save. at $ 5.00 corn it cost them $175 per acre to save 85 dollars per bag.
8010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

As a farmer dealer for Syngenta, you should know the triple stacks (corn bore, root worm, ect) will only improve your yeild if you have pressure against these insects. The key thing to look for is a good base genetics (refuge) and buy the add on's accordingly.

As far as the cost of the seed ther are alot of variables in there, volume, early pay, types of genitcs.... All these play a roll in your overall cost. In my dealership I would guess the average is somewhere in the $180-$200/per bag range. Most of these are 111 day.
zimmermanfarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8010 View Post
i am not saying you should plant all triple stack varietys and buy the most expensive corn out there but there is alot of truth in the old saying you get what you pay for. i know guys who brag how they bought some off the wall corn name and got it for $75 per bag. but when they harvested it yield was 35 bushel less than the $160 per bag stuff so what did they save. at $ 5.00 corn it cost them $175 per acre to save 85 dollars per bag.
i couldn't agree more^^^^ my dad is a dealer for dekalb, and a year ago he was at a farmers operation at harvest and he was comparing dekalb to another brand, and he told the farmer that with the yeild advantage dekalb had, the farmer could get the "other brand" for FREE!, and pay $200 for the Dekalb, and still come out money ahead with the Dekalb. so you can take it as u want but thats the facts. and with $6 or $7 corn, that advantage gets even larger. at $6 corn the "expensive" corn only has to out yeild the cheaper corn by 13 bushels per acre to break even and per $200 difference per bag of corn.
hiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.