Growing high test weight oats - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Growing high test weight oats

Hey, I've always wondered what the trick to raising higher test weight oats is. We farm in southern Iowa and it's always nice to have 20 acres of oats to have a place to spread manure in the summer and to have the straw for bedding in the winter. However, we can't ever seem to get a high enough test weight to take the to quaker oats in cedar rapids. I think they want them over 38 lbs and we are lucky if we get close to 30 in a good year. Is cool weather and plenty of moisture the key or is the other ways to achieve this? Since oats aren't very popular down here, there aren't alot of varities to choose from. Are some better than others at getting better weights? Thanks for any info and advice.
5288_kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think cool moist weather is the biggest key. Some guys say to limit Nitrogen, but I have put anywhere from 40 to 100 lbs an acre on and still gotten 40 to 48 pound oats consistently. We are in a consistent oat region, and we are cool and damp generally, so I think this has more to do with it. I have never gotten below 40.5 pound oats, and this includes frost years like 2004, which decimated most other crop types...
uthinkyourwet? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

In your area.....Plant as early as possible......Spray Stratego on Flag leaf and set the wind high as wheat when combining, makes a huge difference. You will blow a bunch of light oats out the back and disk in to get re-growth and create green manure. Spread your manure on the green oats and when they are 14 inches tall disk them in again....Does huge amount of good for your dirt.
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

i live in northeast iowa, a few years ago i got some MORTON oats it went about 100 bu per acre, i dont know about the test weight it is a popular oats in north dakota, it is medium to tall, with a stiff straw with about 2 big john deere bales per acre.
dehlifarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Seed early and spray with fungicide to keep the disease out is very good advice. Being cool and wet it good to but your not going to be very cool down there. Quaker uses about 90% canadian oats. That's how important being cool is.
mbfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

5288 kid
I am in south central Ontario , probably similiar heat units as you . Corn wise we grow up to 108 day varieties.
We too have issues with heavy bushel weight oats , If we can get them in on the frost in late Febuary or early March ,we plant them , if april 1 arrives we won't put them in .
Definitely protect the oats with fungicides , we tank mix fungicide with the herbicide and also lay on a fungicide at the flag.

Best of luck
Mark
Big Cob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cob View Post
5288 kid
I am in south central Ontario , probably similiar heat units as you . Corn wise we grow up to 108 day varieties.
We too have issues with heavy bushel weight oats , If we can get them in on the frost in late Febuary or early March ,we plant them , if april 1 arrives we won't put them in .
Definitely protect the oats with fungicides , we tank mix fungicide with the herbicide and also lay on a fungicide at the flag.

Best of luck
Mark
Mark, you frost seed?!

Holy ****, so many friggin farmers think it's a hoax.... Glad to hear it, never done it myself, but always thought it was a more logical way to go. More than proves you're ambitious.

Bruce
Old 04-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

The farther north you are the heavier the oats they like long hours of sunlight and not to hot of daytime temeratures. I have seen many samples on oats from north of edmonton that have been in the 52 53 54 55 pound bushel wieghts and in the south here it is hard to get 45 pounders usually around 41 42 here
catfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bruce
In our area frost seeded cereals far out perform , normal spring seeded (when soil conditions are dryer and proper).
We gain Bu/ ac , test weight and usually get ahead of the FHB season.
We are down tight to Lake Ontario and we can get some real heavy disease pressure come late june.

Personally , at our place if the spring grains don't go in on the frost they don't usually go in.

Mark
Big Cob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Limit your nitrogen on the oats, also up your phos and potash. Keep the wind on your combine turned up, don't need to keep the little ones. We have grown 50lb oats at 175bu/ac with not alot of N, but like I said more phos and potash.
phlipsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.