The Combine Forum banner

What Canola Did you Grow in 16?

10K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  LyndonJohnston 
#1 ·
I grew Canterra 1990, and DuPont 3155C, very happy with both. Had to grow RR to do some clean up. Both are pretty equal in yield. Not sure which direction I will be going next year. For sure 252 will be in the equation. The RR are not far behind the Invigors like they used to be.

#3 ·
Try command by FMC. Did a trial in 2015 with invigor canola, which showed decent results.

To be honest I'm located in cleaver country. Grown invigor canola for years and have had great results with the use of liberty. Rule of thumb when growing invigor canola is pre burn before seeding, lots of water when spraying liberty, 1.35L/ac liberty, first pass 14 days after seeding and second pass 28 days after seeding. If you only plan on doing one pass then blame yourself not the system for cleaver escapes. I've got fields that look like a chia pet for cleavers in the spring, but follow the rules set out and never have an issue with cleavers at combining.

#8 ·
No cleavers here yet either...touch wood. I've been growing mostly DeKalb varieties as they seem to volunteer less than some of the others. I grew 75-45 this year and I'd try it again. Yields weren't the greatest (around 45) due to the weather, but there's lots of 20 bu yields around me. It looked really good all summer, and was much easier to swath than the Syngenta variety I had last year.

#10 · (Edited)
Grew the following varieties this year
Dekalb 74-44.. after the first year I grew this stuff I swore I'd never grow it again.. it grew 3 feet high and then lodged but still yielded pretty good. But the rep begged me to try it again.. so I did.. nice thing about it is that it's early.. has good black leg and sclerotinia resistance and usually goes the combine nicely. It has been a consistant performer and this year it actually stood up nice and was a joy to swath.
Canterra CS2000.. this is my first year growing this stuff.. it grew nice and tall. Was nice to swath Went through the Combine decent.. however it seems very susceptible to sclerotinia. I'll probably give it another shot next year
Brett Young 6074. This is also my first year growing this stuff. It didn't come up very consistant.. first stuff I seeded and last stuff I swathed. It stands nice and straight.. didnt have much sclerotinia. Was a joy to swath but seems like it has more of a tendency to blow in swath. Seems to shell easily too. Didn't have a chance to combine much of it but the little that i did seemed to be doing very well.. better then the previous 2.
Pioneer 45H29. This has been an old faithful variety that i have grown for a number of years. But it isn't for the faint of heart. It grows rank and though usually don't have much trouble swathing it.. it can be a real ***** to combine. Seems to handle stress very well and has usually been my top yielder.

#13 ·
Brett young 6074 and 6080. Both good yielders , but I would give a slight edge to 6074. They both came up even and early to mid for maturity.
Syngenta 4114, 4135 and 4166. 4114 and 4135 are very consistent early maturing and swath and combine like a dream. First year with SY4166, Very good yield potential maybe a bit more sclerotinia. and later mid season, also easy to harvest.
A little late to the party with this one,:sFun_doh2: Canterra 1990 First year with it but very impressed. It was in the top yielders and probably the highest test weight of all our varieties. I will grow it again as long as seed is available.

#16 ·
Grew 7545, 7444, and nex 1012rr. 7545 last to seed first to harvest on canola stubble. Field had a history of ample cow manure and it ran 45-60 average 50. 7444 same field on barley stubble averaged 55. 7444 in clay hills 35 bu. nex 1012 on barley stubble with a history of cow manure 45bu. Dockage 1.7 to 2.7%. Hauled half into ADM so far. Everyone else has same idea. Trucks lined up to hwy 16. Big crops up here but it'll be a wonder if we get it all off. Lots of crop out. We started on wheat, got rained out, switched to canola and finished that. Now have all the cereals and maybe 3 good days and 10 days of poor weather. At least the canola is in and I'll take wheat tough now to get it off. Barley who knows, maybe bale it for the cows.

#21 ·
Pioneer has always been my bread and butter. Doesn't seem to matter the conditions yr to yr It seems to handle everything for me. The Syngenta and 7444 were my new variety acres for 2016. Will say the Dekalb looked like a poorer stand and all thro growing season didn't measure up to everthing eles but the combine told a diffrent story at the end of the day all were pretty much identical. Realy like the reseed guarantee that delkalb offers which might help steer me in that direction for next yr.

#24 ·
We grew the 7444 and 7545, both looked decent through the growing season, just need to see the results once we roll the combine through it. Anyone have much luck with the 7375? We find with the dekalbs, they never look as impressive because they breed for smaller plants but they always seem to go through the combine smooth and always seem to yield right up there with everything else. So we like growing the dekalbs.

#27 ·
I've grown Brett young 6060 for the last 3 yrs- good variety,taller and easy to swath and combine. Tried some pioneer 45M33 and 45H31. Haven't combined them yet but look like both good as well. There's no variety that guarantees a rain every week so I'll probably seed a shatter resistant variety like the 45M35. The most important thing that I've learned is to spray twice or else there's weeds. I use canola to clean up land but we all like a 50 bu crop as well. Honestly, they're all pretty close, but the shatter resistance will be the seller for me. I just don't want to pay the invigor/Liberty price. We just need to add some other goodies like heat, aim or Blackhawk when we spray sometimes to keep the gylphos resistance from coming as quickly. JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.