Crop Lifters for Flat Spring Cereals - The Combine Forum

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Crop Lifters for Flat Spring Cereals

Good morning

I am considering getting some crop lifters to help with spring combining flat wheat and barley. Will they work to get pasted flat grain? Or am I setting myself up for disappointment.

One consideration is that I seed with an 1870 conservapak which leaves some furrows - will lifters snag on the dirt furrows or more likely the furrows are pretty much flattened now that they are one year old?

Just looking for any tips on spring harvesting which is a new experience for me.

...formerly known as rook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by (g)rainman View Post
Good morning

I am considering getting some crop lifters to help with spring combining flat wheat and barley. Will they work to get pasted flat grain? Or am I setting myself up for disappointment.

One consideration is that I seed with an 1870 conservapak which leaves some furrows - will lifters snag on the dirt furrows or more likely the furrows are pretty much flattened now that they are one year old?

Just looking for any tips on spring harvesting which is a new experience for me.
This is a question I have been working on since last fall, when winter hit. I have used a few different styles of lifters for different problems. Dutch halfmoon for peas that were so flat you needed a lifter that actually cut up to 1" grooves in the dirt to be sure you were under all the crop mat or the mat would plug the knife. Probably no good where it is this wet though. The lifters I have used for years are the Claas spring steel style that floats pretty well but the points ride an inch or two above the ground. Will they get under the crop mat or if the crop is that low to the ground do we care? If you have header tilt you can get the points much lower easily. I have wondered about the spring loaded Flexfinger lifter for this spring. They are/were $150 each but a neighbor used them on red Macdon headers and was quite impressed with the job they did. Does anyone have experience with these Flexfinger lifters and will they float in mud or just push into the ground and break? Then is the question of what part goes through the combine? Plastic or steel.

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to briandublanko
Same situation here. 750 acres of wheat to harvest. By luck though we rolled all of wheat last spring so ground is smooth. Might luck out . We also use the class lifters on our Vario header. Never usde them for spring harvest so not sure how these will work but they worked very well last fall.

Lexion 590 2009
Maxflex header 1050 35 ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We tried the 6 inch flexfingers last fall and they just bent over or bent sidewise on our land,,,, the half moon Dutch
lifters worked better..
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
I know time is very important, but would swathing be an option ?? Maybe help dry the ground also ??? We have tried flexi finger lifters on lentils with macdon heads and were not very impressed.

Brent.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:19 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by (g)rainman View Post
Good morning
Not sure the words "good" and "Crop Lifters for Flat Spring Cereals" belong in the same post!

I hate ALL lifters and will do anything to avoid them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
I know time is very important, but would swathing be an option?
Problem is a 40' FD75 will cut overall lower than a 35' rigid header on a swather, did a side by side in peas the last time I swathed peas!

Thinking Macdon here, if full steep (D) is not steep enough tilt faceplate ahead, also hydraulic on a Claas.
Fine line though, getting MOST of it and eating dirt, ugly if rock and rolly!

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
I use the pro flex by Schumacher. They work very well and make poor rock pickers. Work on flax even.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Holy crap that's awesome. The original SCH are our favourite lifters but we sure were sick last fall how many went through the combine.

Bending up and catching the pickup reel is the other bastage of the original ones.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You'll pick more flat grain up with lifters than you will without.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Got the flexi fingers on the swather right now ready to go.
We have had good luck with them.
In tough wheat last fall they where bending a little but that was 20% moisture. Running them with a head sight and hardly left anything on the ground.
Seen a picture today of the back of a combine with 100+ mice stuck in the sieves. Hopefully not to much of that this spring.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page