Growing 45 to 50 bushel wheat. - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

To Canfarmer,
My greenhorn is coming out. On the 90-30-10-5 mix you mentioned what is the 5 and what is it for. Also do you know how avaible this mix is and any idea of a price and how much would you use of this to get to 50 bpa wheat. Thanks again!
750guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

by no means am I a wheat growing expert, but timeing is extremely important with getting the groceries to the plants. Agreed if you don't have the groceries in the first place the plant is already losing the yield. Around here some guys spay up to five times a season. I would also agree that the sprayer is extremely important. I do know that they watch the stages of growth very close for when to put applications of n and fungicides. Just my .02...
akrumy32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just rememeber that fertilizer is only part of the equation. Weather,weeds,marketing and
insects is the rest of the equation for making a profit.
Fertilizing for 50 bu doesn't always mean you are going to get it.
QT550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

750guy I would seed if you could hire one of your sucessful neighbors that has a good airdrill to seed and put all the fertilizer on in one pass. With the price of fertilizer too much N will be wasted and lost by broadcasting. Timing, balanced fertility, and trying to preserve every drop of moisture in the soil is key to a good yeild. If you can get a guy to come in and custom seed the wheat in one pass with minimal disturbance it can gain you 5+bushel of yield off the start. You want to minimize the number of times the soil is worked and only open up the minimal amount to get the seed in to save as much water as possible. When applying fertilizer always provide a balance fertilizer including nitrogen, phosphorus, potash, and sulfur. The addition of 6-10 lbs of sulfur depending on your soil test can gain you 5+ bushels if it is short in the soil. Adding nitrogen and phos only is old school and will limit your yield greatly right off the top. Fertilizer is not the place to skrimp on when all your other costs like spray, seeding, harvest etc are the same. When you don't feed your crop properly you have already reduced your potetial yeild greatly. Don't be afraid to spend $15-20 to have a guy custom seed it if he can do a good job. When we first got our airdrill many years ago we did a lot of side by side comparisons for neighbors with discers etc applying the same amount of fertilizer and seeding on the same date. Many times there was a 5+ bushel yeild benefit. After seing this they either had it custom done or bought their own unit. It cost them money through yield to use their old seeding equiptment.
SouthernSK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

I don't know how your grading system works with regard to protein. For western Canada it usually pays to grow high protein wheat and the only way to do that is for the wheat to literally be swimming in nitrogen while its filling. If you get high protein spring wheat (14% or higher) you can bet that after harvest the soil test will show more than 60# available in the top 12 inches. The 2.5 or 2.8 lbs/bu benchmarks quoted are higher than the researchers would support but they are likely necessary to keep the protein up. If you have pulses in your rotation then growing wheat on pulse stubble and not discounting your nitrogen application because of the stubble contribution is another good way to maintain protein.

The old U of S reccomendations out of the soil test lab in Saskatoon (now ALS) did a great disservice to western Canada by being unduly cautious with their nitrogen reccommendations. They made a big issue out of residual nitrate and convinced a lot of farmers that it would leach away with the least little rain cloud. Personally I think the biggest risk of nitrate loss is denitrification on flooded land in the spring. I think the amount of nitrate that actually leaches on most farms is minimal.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711bert View Post
you put down 40lbs of actual n? did you have a crop failure with N leftover in the soil, i can't believe 40lbs of N will give you 50bpa.
but anyway your uncle does not need 80-100 bushels to pay for 150lb/n per acre.

he prob uses a 100 lbs more of N compared to you
100 lbs would cost him with today's fert cost 64 dollars. ($0.64 a pound n)
wheat prices of ~$7,- a bushel = 64/7= 9.1 or roughly 10.
he actually gets 30-40 bushels more of wheat than you so he is 20 bushels at least at 20*7=$140 ahead of you.
Nitrogen even at high prices will pay to use a extra

topdressing works, but the window for us is usually small and conditions will have to be right for it too, do it if you are equiped for it to do so.

i would avoid cultivating heavy soils in the spring. it hard to get the land in nice shape after gumbo soil has been cultivated in spring.
I would try to put the fert down with seeder if no other way than i would get it floated on at use your seeder to cover the fertiliser under (this would only work if you have a bit of wider shovels used for seeding)
summerfallow is sure nice but i'd think land and crop prices are too high to afford these kind of practices. use fertiliser it will always pay to do so.
hope farming makes you good money so you can keep going with it and good luck to you.

well i guess it was summerfallow last year if that adds any but ya 40lbs did the trick

and i know he's poundin about 150lbs of fertilizer into the ground and seeding like 2 bushels per acre but what he needs to break even yeild wise i have no idea
farmerboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
cnd

I have sold more low pro wheat than I care to admit, that is why I figure 2.8 lbs of N per bushel of expected yield. I put down enough N at seeding time to get me to 50 to 55 bu/ac, then at the four leaf stage if conditions are favorable I hit it again with 10 gals/ac of 28% with stream bars. This year the early wheat that I did this way turned out very well but the later the wheat got the poorer the yields became. Lesson learned..their is no substitute for having the crop in early. If/when we ever a planting season again where we are seeding wheat into June I will be adjusting my N rates lower. I think if you can have wheat in by the 15th of May around here you have very good potential.
cnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

I put down 150-60-50 for the last 4 years with soil testing each year, this is getting me 60+ bu wheat with well above 14 pro, also planting 2.75 - 3.25 bu of seed depending on the variety. 2 years ago my farm average was 78bu, the county average is still 39. It takes some research and some risk to get the reward, I would talk to an agronomist and get some input from them, each area is different but dont go by the last 20 years of what you think the land can do, try pushing it some and the rewards can be big JMO.
cat75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

I can't believe how much N you guys use to get a bushel of grain. Do you not use pulses in your rotations?
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

wheat/soybean rotation with about 35 - 40 N credits. We are still low on our soybean yields compared to southern MN by about 20 bu. The problem with spring wheat is not the yield as much as the pro. It takes alot of N to get the pro. 2 years ago there were guys hauling in 12.5-13.5 pro and taking a $2.00 a bu. kick in the a$$ and I was getting a $1.50 primium. All the agronomists said that they were short 50-60lbs of N.
cat75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.