Best practices for floating on canola? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best practices for floating on canola?

Any recommendations? Any comments on best and worst crops? I need to do something here soon, land is mud. I have done it before with mediocre results. But I had poor nutrient status, and it stayed wet all year.

In a nutshell, how can I improve my odds of avoiding failure, from those who have done this more than once?

Thanks as always...
uthinkyourwet? is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Use a bigger valmar that can use fertilzer pull it with with a 4wd or a front wheel assist get your canola blended with the dry fert at 6 pounds a acre u don't have to worry about seedburn. But don't go thru everything because you need to harrow it in and you don't want horrible ruts! We did it last year and went through everything but should have just done the wetter ground and not the slop! If you can harrow it and not make huge ruts it works good, but if your gonna go thru total loon **** go and get drunk and forget about it because the ruts and wear and tear and deep tilling it in the fall 3 times to smoth it out all to lose more money sucks! Plus the really wet ground we rutted last year doesn't look near as nice as the stuff we didn't do, compaction issues I think. Good luck!
johndeere95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
711bert

uhm let's see in 1 year we had a 45 bpa fieldfloated and 5 bpa, distance between fields was 12 miles maybe had something to do with it but previous crop always seems to make a difference.
ok well what we did was floated heavy harrowed it and then light harrowed it, tried running the heavy harrow tines tight so it will move some dirt to cover the seed. then light harrow to break lumps a bit.
then next day went in with liquid fert and put some sulphur.
you can put the liquid on before the seed but i'd rather have it seeded first, what i'd try is to light harrow the liquid fert in.
But before you go do this plan consider:
- $600 a tonne for 28-0-0
- $480-500 for canola seed

if it was me i'd take the crop insurance cheque this time with these input prices if you end up with crop insurance you wont have much money left after all these costs.
I know i'd said before i'd always seed the land, but that was when liquid was still at $400 a tonne there's such thing as common sense.
other thing to consider is to wreck the land this year get a half crop off or fight mud for nothing and don't have a crop next year

Last edited by 711bert; 06-01-2012 at 01:21 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thing is this is my 4th year in 6 that seeding has been next to impossible. As a young guy, I can ill continue to afford surviving and making land payments, machinery payments etc. with a 70 dollar crop insurance cheque. My canola coverage is for 370 bucks an acre, I think this is the better route. Just to give some perspective...

I think I am money ahead trying to grow a crop. Least I hope I am!! LOL

What a mess, what a joke!

Thanks for the replies guys, I do appreciate them. I did find some old threads regarding floating canola, and found them interesting as well.

Thanks!
uthinkyourwet? is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

I desperately heavy harrowed 550 acres of canola on last year in a futile attempt to get something seeded. Ended up disking down every acre. Never matured, never quit flowering, and was full of ruts.

Overall it was fairly miserable. Luckily it got hailed and we broke even on it.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

The best way we have found was get it blended with the fertilizer. After we floated it we lightly cultivate it in and the harrow pack it. Has worked well in the past. And looks like we could be doing it again this year! We just got started going today again and it's pretty messy out there
peacecountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Last year we sowed about 1500 acres with the h harrows and valmar. Our results were anywhere from 5 to 30 bpa. The big difference was the timing of the fertilizer application. We tried using a floater ande he just got stuck so we then drug a spinner spreader around and then harrowed the canola on after. There were some fields that due to timing that the fertilizer was spread after the canola was sowed. These fields had the poor yield.

I said after last year that if it was ever that wet again I don't think I would try as hard to get the canola sowed.

I feel your pain UTYW. It is in every farmers nature to get the crop in.

Good Luck.
woodytr99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi seen good and nothing with the floater.
But do you still have standing water on field , if so is there a place to drain?
If thats the case get a D6 Cat in there and drain the field it make's a mess but thats what it right now anyway but you can improve it for coming years and make some profit. Did couple 1/4 some wetspring ago and they arer fine now.
What kind of drill and tractor do you have, just curius.

Kurt
Kurt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Do you have any volunteer crops coming? Some guys had mediocre success with that last year with winter wheat and canola. They just sprayed when it dried up and thats it. I think the winter wheat yielded 25 and the canola around 15. It wasn't all that bad once they got their $95/acre from crop insurance and harvested a very low input crop.
krymsunvalley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

If I were you blow it on with a airplane harrow what you can without making ruts wait til its up before you worry about fertilizer long as it has establishment crop insurance will cover it.If the weather turns around put your fertilizer on if you think it is worth it if not take your 370 a ac.The airplane can put it on ever ac.without a rut I did it last year and it was the smartest decision in the end that I could have did good luck.
wetfoot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.