Bought a Deere 7300 planter... - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bought a Deere 7300 planter...

As I mentioned in my "What are you doing next year" thread, we are increasing our soybean and corn acres for next year. So we bought a planter. It's a JD 7300, 12 row, Precision Planting discs for corn, soybeans, canola.

Questions:
Liquid Fert...doesn't have a kit right now, but I've read some good results up here on the colder spring soils...yes? no? 10-34 or something else? How many gallons per acre? Was thinking that I could mount a tank on the loader in place of the bucket. Run either a hydraulic pump, or PTO pump. I've got an old sprayer kit that used to mount on a set of harrows. The tank is cracked and broken, but the rest should still be OK...

Spacing:
It's currently set up for 22". I'm debating going to 20" for the corn and soys.... good idea or bad? Our 15" vs 30" plot this year showed a gain at roughly the same population. (I think it was around 5 bu/ac...) We don't have a corn head, so can experiment a bit on row spacing for now...

3 Point Hitch:
Haven't used a whole lot pf 3pt equipment other than rototiller on the garden tractor! What do I need to know? This is on a JD4250. I know the planter frame needs to be level side-to-side and front-to-back. Lower the lift arms until the parallel links are level, I think?? What about the draft knob? (The one below the 3pt lift lever...)

Andrew
Andrew_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get all your meters calibrated by a precision dealer and bring a bag of your seed that you will be using for the calibration.

Liquid fert is a must for higher yields the farther north you go . 10-34-0 is just fine, 5gal per acre and add a quart of zinc per acre as well for a little bit more kick in the butt early season. In furrow for starter, don't do 2x2 with starter its a waste of money that far from the seed.

I'd go 20 or 30 inch because of ease of finding equipment and future trading equipment.

Plant slow, less than 5mph, 4.5 is about ideal
fbstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Congrats on purchase is a 20" row head easy to find? Nice to know of another planter in the area. Might be nice to trial 12" hawk against it in beans! Chapels 22" looked too wide but not sure seemed like the rows didn't close in very quick this far north. Seems like lots of talk with alpine with corn but I can't figure out how 3 or 4 gls is enough? It's a simple system to install though! Keep us updated with your thoughts.
scotsburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbstar View Post
Get all your meters calibrated by a precision dealer and bring a bag of your seed that you will be using for the calibration.

Liquid fert is a must for higher yields the farther north you go . 10-34-0 is just fine, 5gal per acre and add a quart of zinc per acre as well for a little bit more kick in the butt early season. In furrow for starter, don't do 2x2 with starter its a waste of money that far from the seed.

I'd go 20 or 30 inch because of ease of finding equipment and future trading equipment.

Plant slow, less than 5mph, 4.5 is about ideal

We planted 4.5 - 5 mph this year and seemed to work OK.

Yes, the liquid fert I am thinking of doing would be in furrow. Have heard most guys running from 5 - 10 gal/ac, but have also seen some say that there is too much salt in 10-34 and some are using other blends.... Good idea on the zinc as well.

Andrew
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsburn View Post
Congrats on purchase is a 20" row head easy to find? Nice to know of another planter in the area. Might be nice to trial 12" hawk against it in beans! Chapels 22" looked too wide but not sure seemed like the rows didn't close in very quick this far north. Seems like lots of talk with alpine with corn but I can't figure out how 3 or 4 gls is enough? It's a simple system to install though! Keep us updated with your thoughts.
Actually, it is Barry's machine! Our 15" beans closed in OK, but yeah, I thought his 22" seemed wide. Thinking of narrowing it down to 20". So there isn't another machine around, just one with a new home.

I believe he is also selling the 7000 12R30 as well. I think Barry is looking at a 15"/30" machine to do soys and corn with and a 2nd 7200 for corn rental. They were pretty busy last spring with the 12R30" 7000 and 12R30" 7200 on the rental circuit. This 7300 did their beans and everyone that wanted to try canola...

As for the head, I've been looking at some used ones in the Northern US. Most of us that tried corn up here with draper headers seem to be running 5-30 bu/ac loss on a draper. At 80 acres of corn, that's 400-2400 bushels. At $7 right now at Husky, that's $2800-16,800...pays for a (used) corn head pretty quick! But that means I need to figure out what spacing I want to set this one for! That's one reason why I went with this 7300...nothing on the frame to interfere with moving the units around!

Andrew
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

OK so the planter has been in and out of the shop for the last bit getting worked on.

We've adapted the old sprayer skid to mount on our loader bucket quick-tach. Won't be able to fill it without nosediving the tractor, but it's only doing 40 acres of corn, so refilling frequently isn't a big deal. Ran a 1" line off of the hydraulic pump back along to the planter where we installed a 12-run Pattison liquid bar with 1/8" lines.

Planter has been narrowed to 20"...those row units are heavy! After the first couple, we threw the boom on the forklift and used it to carry most of the weight. Also meant moving the transmission drive wheels. While we were at it, we took off the markers (using GPS autosteer on the JD4250) and turned the signal lights in. It was pretty close going through the shop door before!

The JD4250 cab is pretty full now with the 1800 for the autosteer, CompuTrak 250 monitor for the planter and the sprayer controller for the liquid fert. Somehow we managed to cram the cables into the front-right-hand corner of the cab!

I have a question: I don't have a radar unit for the 250 so want to use the GPS to provide a speed pulse signal. I was talking to my AMS guy today and I think we've figured out that we need to hook up Ground and Signal to the 3-wire that goes into the 250. (The 3rd wire in the 250 harness is 12V that would have powered the radar unit way back when...) So the ground in the wiring harnesses from the receiver to the 1800 appears to be 070 and we think the speed pulse should be on 211. Can anyone confirm this? Does it matter where I hook into the 211 wire? Some are marked 211A, 211B, 211C, etc (depending on the wiring harness) but are all labeled RADAR.

Andrew
Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Does your 7300 have lift assist wheels? I have one that I use on my jd 4840 but I took the lift assist off. Mines on 30" rows does a great job on corn and beans. Just put new yetter trash movers across the front.
D&M Farms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&M Farms View Post
Does your 7300 have lift assist wheels? I have one that I use on my jd 4840 but I took the lift assist off. Mines on 30" rows does a great job on corn and beans. Just put new yetter trash movers across the front.
No lift assist wheels. The 4250 lifts it alright though.

Andrew
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Andrew,

If you need to carry more liquid, you could always setup the tank on some castors and use the loader hitch to just push it around. (Kinda like a shopping trolley)
adsinaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsinaus View Post
Andrew,

If you need to carry more liquid, you could always setup the tank on some castors and use the loader hitch to just push it around. (Kinda like a shopping trolley)
Interesting idea! For now, the idea is to set it up as cheaply as possible. As I said, it's only 40 acres of corn, so not a big deal. Our cost to put liquid fert on the planter is $700 - most of that was the distribution bar from Pattison. If/When corn is proven up here, we'll look for better ideas. At least we can get a bit of Crop Insurance coverage this year.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.