The Combine Forum banner

What's The Going Rate For Dry Rolling? (Now With 11 Pics)

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MCatSHF 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All
The last time that I made feed at the local feedmill (18 years ago, before it got torn down) I paid $15.00/tonne for dry rolling. At that time Puratone (now Maple Leaf, only processing feed for their own barns) was charging the same rate, & Feed Rite (also torn down) was charging $25.00/tonne for steam rolling. I couldn't find any recent rates in my search, so now I ask you?:5:

#3 ·
Hi Mcat.

Not sure on a custom rate but my roller mill will do 450-500 bu an hour. I have 65 hp on it and and figure a value on it of around $80/hr. Mine is setup under a hopper bin and roll back into a truck.

If you have to start factoring in unloading a truck into your bin and the extra trucking I can't see how it pencils out. I usually figure a 10% gain in feed efficiency due to the rolling.

Are you doing some custom rolling or getting some done? We've had ours probably 40 years and only had to do a few bearings, auger flighting and rebuild the rollers. Probably costs a couple cents per bu. for maintence.

#4 ·
Bit off topic, but for some reason reading your post Dan, jogged my memory. You ever deal with Jack at the old feed mill in Stony before it burnt down in the winter of 97/98? Guess its the talk of custom rolling that made me think of it. I was Jack's supplier for barley, and we had sort of a running account going each way. I hauled in barley when they needed it, and Jack supplied me with propane for the dryer, salt and mineral and my twine. All was good till that cold day in January. I remember standing at the only corner of the building still standing late the next morning with Jack, while he lost his mill, that big pile of smoldering grain was mine lol. I had just finished hauling several loads with the single axle the nite before. And since the office part was lost, our little book with the running tally was gone too. No scale slips, nothing lol. I had always trusted Jack so never wrote nothing down. We ended up one load apart on what we each thought was lost in the fire, but Jack had always been good to me so I accepted his number and we went from there. Dealt with him right up until I moved.

Was actually a fight with insurance is why the mill never got rebuilt, Jack wanted too. But he ended up putting up that other building instead and the old mill was no more.

#5 · (Edited)
Hello Dan Vanderwell
I'm just a stickler for detail & was wondering if the $15.00/tonne (rate that I used to pay at the feedmill) was a fair value to add to the price of my barley after I roll it & put in my feed bins (now rolled barley) for my inventory (& net worth) for my AgExpert.:)
I actually have 2 rollermills. After the local mill shut down, I bought a F20P5 Peerless rollermill, & the following year I bought a NH 355 mixmill that had the hammermill removed & a Farmking 180 rollermill put in it's place. Back then, the way that I was feeding my backgrounding calves with round hay bales & carrying pails of grain, & finishing my fats with a self feeder, the rollermill alone was no good. I needed the roller mixmill. The first year of using the Peerless rollermill & dribbling some supplement into the hopper as the feed got augered into a gravity wagon. Then augered again from the wagon into a feed bin, just didn't cut it.
Now, feeding a TMR, it's the opposite. I haven't used the rollermixmill since & just use the Peerless rollermill. The supplement gets mixed into the TMR every day as I'm mixing up a batch.:54:

(Pic from spring of 2015) When I get everything in the right position (takes a bit of manoeuvring), I can roll out of these 2 flat bottom bins right into my 2 hopper bottom feed bins.:54:

Manoeuvring & creativity!!!:54::54::54:

I had a gear break on my Peerless last spring.

Cast gear broke at it's weakest spot, where it was cross drilled for a set screw.

I think the worn out woodruff key put stress on it as it as it went sideways & caused it to break. Welded up the shaft.

Turned it down.

Ready to cut keyway.

New woodruff keyway.

New (steel) gear from Artsway (bought out Peerless). Cut some new gaskets, pumped the gearbox full of grease & let's call that project done!:54:

& we're rolling again!:54:

Oh yeah, ...

I did have to get creative while I was waiting for the new gear to arrive.:eek:

#8 ·
Hi Mcat.

Looks similar to my setup. Does FCC want that detailed of financials or is it for your own info? I know when I tried to borrow from them about 15 years ago they wanted to know everything short of my underwear size to even give me a rate quote. Needless to say ATB and AFSC were way easier to deal with. (Not that it would help you in MB) I would have a hard time saying its worth more rolled as I think you'd have a way harder time selling it due to having a "shelf life" then. I don't differentiate my feed wheat from rolled wheat just to keep things simple. I already have enough stuff to keep track of and I live by the K.I.S.S. principle.

On a side note do you prefer gasket paper instead of silicone in applications like that gearbox? Nice repair job on the shaft. :54:

#7 ·
This is usefull. We are looking at buying an Apollo roller mill as we background some pigs each year. We are going to mix up some feed for a neighbour who does the same and I wondered what a fair price would be. Also wondering about incorporating it onto the mix mill instead of a hammermill. The stand alone electric mill is much cheaper to run than a tractor on a mixmill however the tractor/mixmill with allow us to mix multiple ingredients. We are going to use soymeal,ddg, barley flax screenings and then salts and minerals.

#9 ·
Hello Dan Vanderwell
Nah, just for my own records. Like I said, I'm a stickler for detail.:) I spend too much time looking at my net worth (& not enough at cash flow) & like to see that line on the graph climbing.:6::54::6: I dealt with FCC many years ago, for a couple of years, but deal mainly with MASC. That's a provincially run Ag lending institution (probably the same as your ATB & AFSC???) I do use FCC's Ag Expert Analyst for my record keeping though.

I feel that if I have the expense of processing that feed sitting in the feed bin, then I need to show the increase in value that I added to it, to offset the processing expense. Sort of like if a buy a piece of machinery for say $10,000.00 & then have the expense of $5,000.00 worth of parts into it to get it into field ready condition, that machine is now worth $15,000.00. If I don't show that $5,000.00 of increase in value & keep it valued at $10,000.00, plus have a $5,000.00 parts expense, well then I moved backwards & not ahead on that deal.

Either or, I guess. I always have a few sheets of different thickness of gasket paper on hand, & a tube of silicone. Usually a 1/2 used tube left in the caulking gun, that's turned hard.:eek: Probably what happened (I don't recall) when I was putting that gearbox back together, & opted for the paper.

That steel gear wasn't drilled & tapped for a set screw. I was thinking of doing that to it, like the cast gear was, to hold it in place on the shaft. Instead I cut the right length of pipe & slid it on the shaft (vertical shaft in the pic) between the gear & the collar with the roll pin in it. This prevents it from meshing too closely (no backlash) with the other gear.:54:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.