White 5542 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default White 5542

Here is a machine I saw in a ranchers yard at Recluse, WY. This is the only White combine I have ever seen. I couldn't get a picture from the front because there were cows in the way. Researching 5542s, I found that they were humiliated by one appearing in the movie Broke Back Mountain.

Shot with 1.3 Megapixel at 2009-03-19
greenie303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: White 5542

I've never seen Broke Back Mountian but I've heard the gist of it, and that's funny.

Don
Don Boles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Odd with that green fuel tank strapped on there since the rest of the machine looks pristine. I'm assuming it's a replacement - our old White 7300 tank rusted out and we had to replace it as well.
phishstik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck

My neighbour runs that 'bine...

I was surprised at the capacity of that thing. It could keep up to my 860!
Christian A. Herrnboeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

It looks like the guy rigged up an auxiliary fuel tank on the back hood - now that's an original idea. I hadn't been on one of those for 30 years until a hobby farmer neighbour bought one a year or two ago - sure brought back a lot of good memories. They were good, simple machines with good capacity for their era.
oldjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I didn't even know White made combines until I saw this one. It looks like he has an Oliver, too. I haven't been able to get close. I don't want to have to explain what I'm doing in somebody's yard. If he is around when I stop I'll ask about this machine. This White didn't look bad, except for some missing glass in the cab. It's too bad so many brands fell by the wayside.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Don,

This movie that had a 5542 was filmed mostly in southern AB, even though it was set in WY.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks oldjim. After seeing this one, I used the search feature on this forum and found them in the Massey section. I think he has an Oliver, but it is further back and I don't know this rancher well enough yet to go driving around his place. My job is delivering fuel for Co-op so I get to check out a lot of territory. Some I see aren't my customers so I don't have access. I wish I had pictures of some of the combines I have spotted over the years on harvest or on road trips. I can't remember where most of them are at like an old Case I saw in the middle of KS. Here is a shot of this model as it appeared in Brokeback Mountain.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Greenie, check the Massey Ferguson section, there's quite a few posts about White combines and their forerunners, Cockshutt, Oliver and Minneapolis-Moline. I think there's a couple of videos about the 5542 like you seen. Since there's no separate section for White most of the posts are included in the MF section. Massey took over the White rotary combine when White went under, and they all ended up under the AGCO banner eventually.
oldjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Howdy Jim, looks like we survived another Sask. winter. I was going to mention that the reason for the green tank on the red White combine was likely that it was from an Oliver combine since Oliver and White (Cockshutt) were one and the same machine in that era.
Also the fellow that commented on a 5542 keeping up to his 860 must have been joking. I've worked in the same field with 542 and 5542 combines and, as good as they were, there was no way in the world they would even keep up with my 510 Massey at the time. And the 860 had way more capacity than the 510.
rusty6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.